E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing run-flats

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i SE 4d Auto.

Probably come up before but I couldn't find a recent discussion, so here goes...

I have the 124 type wheels with Dunlop SP 01 run-flats, and I need new backs (275/35 18). I'm not bothered about having run-flats, so I got some quotes for 'normal' tyres. However, the first fitter (a local garage) said the wouldn't fit them to run-flat wheels. The second (a national franchise) said I would have to ask BMW. And BMW themselves said you should only fit run-flat tyres to run-flat wheels.

So what are other people's experiences with fitting normal tyres to run-flat wheels?
Old 01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Contributors

There are at least two issues at work here:

1. Do not mix RFTs and Non-RFTs on the same vehicle - it'll roll but not handle safely.
2. Rims for RFT's are different ... designed to hold a fully deflated tire and prevent it from rolling off. But, that should not prevent a conventional tire from being mounted.
3. Most tire shops do not have the proper equipment to remove and mount RFT's without damaging the rims. That may have been the tire shop's concern - and it should be yours as well!

That said, there are dozens on the forum who have replaced RFT's with conventional tires w/o a problem. I have not done so on my e60 but did on my e38 740i and except for the difficulty noted in #3 there were no problems and I drove that car over 30K miles on conventional (Non-RFT's) Pirellis.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Just last week, I went from RFT to the NON-RTFs, I still had about 5000-7000 miles left on my RFTs but got a big nail on the edge between the surface and the sidewall. It was not repairable or so was told by a national franchise. I always wanted to switch for the smoother and quieter ride and the tire shop second that. So they sold me four non-rfts and replaced them without any problem. Very noticeable different in the smoothness and so so noticeable difference in the ride quietness but I have been very happy so far.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i sport/premium package, Black and Tan 2000 528i premium package, Black and Tan

I received mixed feedback depending on whom I spoke to. The Dealer insisted on keeping RFT's and tried to convince me non RFT's would sacrifice the car's performance. They also said that that my E60 sport has no spare. However mine does have a donut spare. The local tire shop that specializes in high performance and track tires recommended non-rft's and said it would not be a problem fitting on the OEM rim. The local BMW shop, Orr Auto said the same thing. The people at Orr said they have lots of bran new E60's coming in to get non rft's put on. I currently have non rft winter tires on the car and these winter tires handle much better than the Dunlops and they're quieter and smoother. I don't know what the engineers at BMW were thinking when they decided to go with these Dunlop run flats.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Contributors

best single thing i ever did to my E60
i thought it had square wheels with the RFT's

when do you ever get a "total blow out" nowadays? its always a progressive puncture, so in my opinion run flats are obsoleate, and they were a cut cost option when first fitted to E60's (due to saving on spare wheels.) T.U.V requirements.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Been runnig on non RFT's for 3 years, no problems whatsoever.

The dealer is talking out of his rear orifice!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i, platinum gray with cream beige dakota leather, premium, sport, comfort access, navigation, heated seats, sport auto with paddles, premium sound, sat radio, ipod

Going from run flats to non run flats is the single greatest improvement you can make in the ride and comfort of your car. I had a 330 and replaced the run flats at 10K miles with non run flat Bridgestone RE something-something "Pole Positions" and it was literally night and day in the ride.

When the "Dunflops" on my 535 wear off I am going to mount the same brand and model replacement tires as I did on my 330. They were that good.

I think BMW dealers have to recommend run flats because that's what BMW tells them to sell. Maybe it's a liability issue.

Shouldn't be any problem mounting to the rim. I've not heard that our rims are run flat specific rims. I do know that they are harder to dismount simply because the sidewall is so much stiffer. Be sure your shop uses the proper tools and doesn't scratch your wheels. I caught my shop using a crow bar to pry off the old run flats. Boy were they sorry.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i SE 4d Auto.

OK then. Fair to say we don't need to start a 'run-flats yes or no?' poll

In fact on closer inspection it looks like I have 1 completely worn rear, and the rest are half-decent. So This time around I'll probably just replace the 1 with the same type (Best price I can get for the 275/35 SP01 run-flat is ?230 all-in ) but when I need to replace the rest I'll look at getting regular tyres.

Thanks everyone for your input!

W
Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='757819' date='Jan 2 2009, 02:04 PM
when do you ever get a "total blow out" nowadays? its always a progressive puncture, so in my opinion run flats are obsoleate,
RFTs are mostly a convenience tire, when you don't have to get out of the car and put a spare/donut in the middle of the highway or parking lot. If you have a flat you just drive your car to a tire place and they do the work.