E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Replacing BMW emblem on steering wheel?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 05:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d Steptronic Black Sapphire Metallic Dakota Cream Beige

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='704405' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:22 AM
Sorry to say, there is no way to replace only the emblem. You really don't want to put anything over it because in case of deployment, guess what's going to hit your face? These emblems are made from soft metal so that if they hit your face, during airbag activation, the damage to your face would be minimal.

I still don't understand the logic of making it part of the airbag system, though. I wonder why they couldn't make it a changeable part using the same soft aluminum foil type metal.

Mine is a little worn off. The dealer has ordered the airbag and is going to replace it under warranty.

Joe
So your advice is to buy the new airbag?? It's rather expensive solution :thumbsdown: I tnik I'm gonna buy the emblem on ebay it's much more chepaer solution
Old 10-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='704382' date='Oct 27 2008, 07:47 AM
Are these stick-on's any good?
IMHO, yep... Sometimes I forget that I've put a CF-roundel overlay on my steering wheel badge.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Location: Milky Way, Earth, N. America, CA, San Jose, 95136, Latitude N 37� 16.837, Longitude W 121� 50.461
My Ride: 2004 530i | Sapphire Black | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 | DPE R07 Variant S Gloss Black with Polished Lip 20x8.5 front 20x10 rear | Falken FK452 tires 245/30/20 front 275/30/20 rear | H&R Coilovers | Smoked Tail Lights | M5 trunk spoiler | AC Schnitzer style roof spoiler | HID 8000K headlights & foglights | 35% tint all around | Sprint Booster | Speed Innovation ECU tuning | M5 trunk finisher | M-Tech body kit | Remus Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer style pedals | Euro Stickers | RPi Ram Air Induction | Smoked LED Side Lenses | AC Schnitzer style e-brake handle | AC Schnitzer style shifter | AC Schnitzer style iDrive knob | AC Schnitzer style carbon fiber diffuser | carbon fiber hood/trunk/steering emblems | carbon fiber grilles | carbon fiber door pillars | MTEC v2 Angel Eyes | Hamann style carbon fiber splitter

I've done the overlay sticker for the steering wheel emblem.. works great.. I think I got mine through Bimmian.com
Old 10-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Oleg_BMW' post='704412' date='Oct 27 2008, 09:45 AM
So your advice is to buy the new airbag?? It's rather expensive solution :thumbsdown: I tnik I'm gonna buy the emblem on ebay it's much more chepaer solution
Sorry you didn't like my answer. I thought that you were asking about a direct replacemet. Yes, you can get an overlay, which is basically a stick on item. It may or may not cave in, just like your original roundel.

In any events, I found some links that discuss your problems at length:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt....php?p=12313354

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...blackout-vinyl-

overlay-roundel-badge-mini-review.html

http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t53172.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=305211

Good luck and let us know how you like the end result.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

It sucks that a direct replacement involves such an expensive part but guess that might be the intention, to prevent people removing it and placing unsafe emblems in its place. Although it probably saves them a euro or two...
Old 10-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='704480' date='Oct 27 2008, 10:24 AM
Sorry you didn't like my answer. I thought that you were asking about a direct replacemet. Yes, you can get an overlay, which is basically a stick on item. It may or may not cave in, just like your original roundel.

In any events, I found some links that discuss your problems at length:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt....php?p=12313354

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e6...blackout-vinyl-

overlay-roundel-badge-mini-review.html

http://forums.e60.net/lofiversion/index.php/t53172.html

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=305211

Good luck and let us know how you like the end result.
I'm not telling you're wrong, but I just don't want to buy the new airbag. Could you tell me if badge from the link above will look z nice in my car??
Old 10-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by Oleg_BMW' post='704494' date='Oct 27 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm not telling you're wrong, but I just don't want to buy the new airbag. Could you tell me if badge from the link above will look z nice in my car??
I am sorry, Oleg. I do not have direct experience with the badges in the link. I just found them to help you out. As I mentioned in my original post, my dealer is replacing my entire airbag under warranty. Good luck with whatever solution you choose. Please post your result as I am genuinely interested to see the final outcome. Please post the pictures. Some day my warranty will expire and I may have to find alternate solutions, too. It might also help members whose warranties have expired, also.

Joe
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
Members

Of course Joe I will present the solution I've chosen but it may take a lil bit of time,as I'm still witing for the opinion of other users about this bagde from ebay. Morover I came from Poland so when I'll buy this emblem I'l have to wait for the package from UK probably.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:10 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530d MSPORT Carbon Black
Default Curious

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
I am sorry, Oleg. I do not have direct experience with the badges in the link. I just found them to help you out. As I mentioned in my original post, my dealer is replacing my entire airbag under warranty. Good luck with whatever solution you choose. Please post your result as I am genuinely interested to see the final outcome. Please post the pictures. Some day my warranty will expire and I may have to find alternate solutions, too. It might also help members whose warranties have expired, also.

Joe
Why was your airbag replaced? What made it a valid warranty claim?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 535i premium package, sport package

Originally Posted by Jawadh007
Why was your airbag replaced? What made it a valid warranty claim?
That post is 7 years old.

Quick Reply: Replacing BMW emblem on steering wheel?!