E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replacement HUD windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i HUD, comfort seats, PDC, moon roof, Logic 7, Nav, Steptronic, K7 and diffusers, Aux-in for iPod!

Hello,

Any advice on finding/installing a replacement windshield, with HUD, rain sensor?

I've been trying to find one, but no luck anywhere other than the $900 or so from a dealer, and without installation.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Members

I went with a new OEM windshield from the dealer. I was thinking about going aftermarket but after reading posts about people having problems with the rain and light sensors after going aftermarket i just bit it and paid for OEM. Costed me $1300 installed at the dealer. Could of got it done for $500 if i had used a company like Safelite.

If you have glass coverage on your insurance they usually always want you to go through their glass company(aftermarket) although you can just make a regular claim and pay what ever you deductable is and have it done at BMW.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by mwsu545i
Hello,

Any advice on finding/installing a replacement windshield, with HUD, rain sensor?

I've been trying to find one, but no luck anywhere other than the $900 or so from a dealer, and without installation.

Thanks again!
Mike
Go through your insurance. Thats what I did and paid the $100 deductible. The glass company was recommended through State Farm and they had to get a OEM windshield from my BMW dealer any way. Good luck
cheers
vern
Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by vern
Go through your insurance. Thats what I did and paid the $100 deductible. The glass company was recommended through State Farm and they had to get a OEM windshield from my BMW dealer any way. Good luck
cheers
vern
Lucky you, When i called my insurance company(AllState) they gave me the number to their glass company and when i asked which glass they use they told me it will be either Pilkington or PPG
Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Senior Members

HUD windshields are unique in that they require a special coating I think...
Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by Loni313
I went with a new OEM windshield from the dealer. I was thinking about going aftermarket but after reading posts about people having problems with the rain and light sensors after going aftermarket i just bit it and paid for OEM. Costed me $1300 installed at the dealer. Could of got it done for $500 if i had used a company like Safelite.

If you have glass coverage on your insurance they usually always want you to go through their glass company(aftermarket) although you can just make a regular claim and pay what ever you deductable is and have it done at BMW.
In FL front windshields are covered free, no deductible. However, your insurance company may limit the amount paid. I would have come out of pocket originally if I went OEM. Not much, but if I was coming out of pocket and that doesn't include the stupid rubber cowl part by the wiper then I'd rather replace all those parts and spend my money wisely. Besides the company that came to the house to do the windshield told me that the replacement has everything built-in because they're the same company that manufactures the BMW, VW, Audi and Porsche glass.. "Plinkton"
I've had no complaints thus far...all is top notch...I'm very happy.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Senior Members

Lucky you, When i called my insurance company(AllState) they gave me the number to their glass company and when i asked which glass they use they told me it will be either Pilkington or PPG
Plinkton is the OEM manufacturer from what I was told. The guy also explained that the Masterati and Range Rover also come from there....and explained that Range Rovers are the worst SUVs that customers complain about and Porsche SUV is the best in 21 years of hearing customers lol. I like old advice.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Members

Never heard of Plinkton but "Pilkington" does make glass for a lot of different cars. My Audi has Pilkington glass on all windows. My fathers S-Class has PPG as a OEM windshield with the Benz logo on it. Thought that was strange when I first noticed.
The thing is, The replacement glass they make for our cars is made by Pilkington North America and even China. From what I read before deciding which glass to use was that the glass is thinner and softer then OEM Saint-Gobian Sekurit.
Not saying there is anything really wrong with the PPG or Pilkington replacement. I'm sure they work just fine, Just you cant compare a Pilkington glass made in Europe OE for car company's to a replacement made in China or NA

Between the sensors, the thinner softer glass and some people even complained about the clarity of the aftermarket glass especially the sand blast look after only months of installing the glass. I figured OEM was a better choice plus if I had any issues like wind noise it would be easier to deal with BMW.

don't need 21 years of experience to know that Range Rovers a POS's
Old 03-03-2011, 04:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Munich77
HUD windshields are unique in that they require a special coating I think...
Not so much a special coating, but rather a special interlayer. HUD equiped cars definately need the special HUD windsheilds (HUD is stamped on the lower (left?) corner of the windsheild. What makes the HUD glass special is a wedge shaped interlayer which prevents the HUD image from reflecting back to you on both the #1 and #3 surfaces (causing ghosting).
Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

Never heard of Plinkton but "Pilkington" does make glass for a lot of different cars.
After a close second look, it is Pilkington...first time I ever used the glass and first time i cared to get close enough to a piece of glass to actually look at the name and sound it out. You knew what I was referring to. If you get windnoise, that's simply from a poor bead lay, nothing more. As far as Range Rovers, the look interests me, the money really isn't the issue but I'd have a hard time justifying spending money that could be used to feed the less fortunate or to keep them warm on cold nights rather than to spoil myself....in fact I really have a love/hate relationship with this E60. There's a story behind it and that's why I own it. I'd never go out and drop my money on a piece of plastic, metal and glass just because it makes me feel good or it looks good etc etc....just not that type of guy. I'd drive a little VW bug from the 60's with no shame. Rust and all.

Quick Reply: replacement HUD windshield?