E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So after going back to Discount tires and had these hankook balance 3 times, my passenger seat still shake. When someone is sitting on the passenger seat then it won't shake. The tire guy told me it's normal but I highly doubt it because it wasn't shacking with my OEM conti. It does drive smooth and quiet but I give it one more week then probably doing to change it for conti dws.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I have Hankook V12s all around, balanced several times, front rim repair for slightly out of round, still friking vibration in the steering wheel! This is my third set of V12s, the others were flawless. But this set isn't even a year old and driving me mad!
I'd hate to waste $$ on new tires when the fronts have plenty of tread still, and when it's possible it's something else (control arms, bushings, etc) but I'm ready to pony up and move on to another tire brand.
How do I check to see if the issue is control arm or bushing? I don't even know what a f'ing bushing is!lol
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by PlanB
I have Hankook V12s all around, balanced several times, front rim repair for slightly out of round, still friking vibration in the steering wheel! This is my third set of V12s, the others were flawless. But this set isn't even a year old and driving me mad!
I'd hate to waste $$ on new tires when the fronts have plenty of tread still, and when it's possible it's something else (control arms, bushings, etc) but I'm ready to pony up and move on to another tire brand.
How do I check to see if the issue is control arm or bushing? I don't even know what a f'ing bushing is!lol
Sounds very familiar. You're going to waste a lot of money chasing issues that probably aren't there. I had the dealer check out the car and Roadforce Balance the tires and it still wobbled like a shopping cart. This was my second set of Hankooks in a month. After that I gave up and bought new Pilots and the vibrations instantly vanished. The problem with the Hankooks seems to be that they're out of round so the balance looks fine but the wheels basically bounce off the pavement. I looked at mine during re-balancing and it was very obvious. I measured the runout on them and it varied from 0.050" all the way up to 0.175". And Hankook refuses to replace the tires stating that it's my car that is the issue, not the tires. The tires are crap, plain and simple.

If you're not familiar with working on cars, have the dealer do a quick suspension check - might cost you $125 or so. Then go get some new tires
Old 08-18-2011, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

Well as posted earlier in this post, I too had the dreaded Hankook vibration. Though, I was attributing it to a faulty arm bushing. Yesterday, I got my car back from the tire shop as I was forced to take out the TPMS and rebalance all 4 tires. This time, I chose a shop with a Hunter9700 Road force balancing machine and a reputable operator. I can honestly say that the vibration is gone. You guys with the Hankkoks, try getting them roadforce balanced by a shop that knows what they are doing. I was actually surprised as to how much better the ride is. I also had an alignment done too.

Although this procedure did fix the ride with the Hankooks... IMHO, they still can't compare to the ride I had with the Michelin PS2's. When these wear out, I will surely be switching back.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

I've been warned by Discount tire at different locations not to put directional tires on the 545. It appears the V12's are a directional tire. They say to use Asymmetrical tires on your 545 due to the way the car is cambered. I'm going in today to have brand spanking new Michelin PS2 RTF's installed. Ya, you can save $500 bucks by going with the v12's, but I'm not sure if it is worth it. Why have an expensive, performance car and then cheap out on the tread? I'll let you know how it works out, I had the Bridgestone Potenza's 050E RTF before, but its hard to remember what they were like brand new anymore.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport Pak

Well, happy to report I really am liking my PS2 RTF's. They are quiet, almost too quiet! I sort of enjoyed the thud of the concrete separations when going down the road that the Potenza'a gave, gives the car sort of a Bat-Mobile feel. The PS2 RTF's are definitely quiet and definitely have softer ride. I'm sure part of this is because I can't remember what the Potenza's were like brand new, but I have no qualms about having these RTF as far as ride stiffness goes. I wouldn't want the ride any softer. Happy to report, no vibrations, no problems, they are great!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Members

I agree with the responses. I had pure misery when radials first came out and I could not get rid of vibration even when the new tires were also replaced. It seems they were out of round. It was almost unheard of back then, but the radial design magnifies any error.

It was found that you must check the tread with a runout gauge and any more that 0.1" out of round is considered a defect.

Yes they all lie!!!!

AND it's George Bush's fault!!!