E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 04:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is funny... I too have a set of Hankooks and I too have a vibration issue between 60-80 mph that I feel in the seat. I never had the problem before I swithched the the Hankooks. However, I thought this was a balancing issue so one by one, I switched out the rim/tire back to stock to try to locate the culprit. Low and behold I had all for stock wheel back on and it was still vibrating. I figured it coudn't be the Hankook tires then. So closer inspection revealed a torn control arm bushing in the rear. I haven't gotten around to replacing it yet, but I think that is causing the whole issue.

I have owned FORDS all my life and this little BMW (disappointment) drives just like an older Mustang without the power. It is a rattle vibration trap. I have too many issues that seem far all too common (ie. sunroof wind deflector rattle/ windnoise, unknow rattle coming from rear seats, Lower control arm bushing failure at all 4 corners/ vibration, premature rotting windsheild seals/ windnoise... not to mention premature $600 dealer battery change, Steering problems, Transmission issues, and AC issue) I have 35K on the clock. At least the FORDS I have had held out till about 40-50K before any major rattling/issues. I would have expected BMW to be a better vehicle. I will never own another!... Just my rant!
Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Members

Glad you had your problem fixed... I waiting till Tuesday to install the new set of hankook at discount tires. If any vibration occurs I'm returning it for Conti DWS.

Originally Posted by 1BadDuc
Installed a set of new Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ today. Problem solved. Car runs nice and smooth without vibration until it hits the 155 mph limiter. Hankook is still blaming it on my car....
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by bonsai55555
Glad you had your problem fixed... I waiting till Tuesday to install the new set of hankook at discount tires. If any vibration occurs I'm returning it for Conti DWS.
I have a full set of "slightly used" Hankook V12's for sale if you're interested

Old 07-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Members

i just bought 4 new hankooks and am experiencing vibration also. im running 19 inch miro 111, and just bought hubcentric rings and had them rebalanced, its still vibrating. its only been a week now, so maybe sears will take the tires back. and for the people who said about rounding i have put about 150 miles on them so they should be settled in.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Hulk,

Didn't you just buy the Miro 111? I remember reading a thread about someone who purchased a set of Miro 111 and tires from an online store. Anyway, if it was you then I don't see why you need the hub ring for since Miro 111 does come with with the correct bore for the E60.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
Hulk,

Didn't you just buy the Miro 111? I remember reading a thread about someone who purchased a set of Miro 111 and tires from an online store. Anyway, if it was you then I don't see why you need the hub ring for since Miro 111 does come with with the correct bore for the E60.
yeah thats what i thought also, but the guy from bigwheels told me that maybe since my bmw is a newer model I may need.. it helped a little but the vibration is still their, the more i hear about these hankooks im thinking its prolly the tires!
Old 07-03-2011, 06:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hulk7280
i just bought 4 new hankooks and am experiencing vibration also. im running 19 inch miro 111, and just bought hubcentric rings and had them rebalanced, its still vibrating. its only been a week now, so maybe sears will take the tires back. and for the people who said about rounding i have put about 150 miles on them so they should be settled in.
I probably spent $400 and countless trips to the tire shop and one trip to the dealer diagnosing the problem with my Hankooks. If you can exchange them for something else, do it. It'll save you a LOT of time, money, and frustration. There is simply no possible way that this is an isolated incident. I got 6 bad tires out of 9 - with that kind of quality control there are bound to be thousands upon thousands of bad Hankooks out there.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: 2011 Lexus IS-F

Hmmm, I put on a set of 4 Hankooks and they ride so smooth. Surprised to hear this as the tires on my 550 feel so good and the handling is awesome. I noticed that with BMW's that once you get up on the mileage and you start getting new tires and shocks, some vibrations do develop. Typically, the vibration is from the bushings and when new parts are added, becomes more noticeable. Two bmw's at 70k, i experienced this and replacing the control arms, tie rods solved my problems. Just my experience...
Old 07-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nonford
Hmmm, I put on a set of 4 Hankooks and they ride so smooth. Surprised to hear this as the tires on my 550 feel so good and the handling is awesome. I noticed that with BMW's that once you get up on the mileage and you start getting new tires and shocks, some vibrations do develop. Typically, the vibration is from the bushings and when new parts are added, becomes more noticeable. Two bmw's at 70k, i experienced this and replacing the control arms, tie rods solved my problems. Just my experience...
Hope I don't have those issues. My car has about 47K on the clock and I did have some minor vibration with the stock wheels but that turned out to be a bent driver's side rim.

We took a close look at the Hankooks when we took them off and couldn't find anything obvious. They do seem very thin compared to the Michelins though. They did ride nice and quiet at least - the Michelins are definitely louder....but at least they don't make my car wobble like a shopping cart

Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Members

I'm seeing more and more about vibrations with Hankook than I did some time ago. I had terrible luck with Hankook. Swap out to Michelin or Conti and you'll be much happier. I went with Michelin and I can't tell that they are any louder though they do give me a little more confidence when wet than the Hankook did (they are all season and have a 40k mileage warranty, too... two big pluses to spending a little more to get better quality).

I have the Miro 111 rim also and use the hub centric ring.

Quick Reply: replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help