E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by Pitch Black
I can explain this quickly. For all people experiencing vibration, the tires sometimes are not entirely round off the shelf. I had a set on my E92 335i and after about 50 to 100 miles the tire rounded out and stopped vibrating. A shop placed the tire on a balancing machine and showed me the tire was balanced but the tread was hopping.
I had the first set on my car for nearly 2000 miles. They don't just "go back to round". Besides, if they fail roadforce, they're not going to magically repair themselves - it's a defect.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Members

Yeah I returning the hankook v12s. I put about 500 miles on them and still vibrate badly. I took it to another well know tire shop in Atlanta and he said the tires are out of round. I'm not sure if I want to experience with hankook again. I saw a lot of good review on them and few bad one but am I that unlucky to end up with 2 defected on first try?! haha
Old 06-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bonsai55555
Yeah I returning the hankook v12s. I put about 500 miles on them and still vibrate badly. I took it to another well know tire shop in Atlanta and he said the tires are out of round. I'm not sure if I want to experience with hankook again. I saw a lot of good review on them and few bad one but am I that unlucky to end up with 2 defected on first try?! haha
Count yourself lucky, I got 4 bad out of 4. Then another bad one out of the new set. Pretty pathetic quality control imho
Old 06-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

The fact that you have mismatched tires is irrelevant IMO. I have had mismatches on my E46, SRT8, and mustang. Never had an issue as long as they were balanced. I have had experience with tires that just wouldn't balance properly, and have had good experience with dynamic balancing (Dyna Beads) rather than weights and machine balancing.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Members

Well I hope I won't regret my decision but I order a set of Hankook v12 from discount tire. The 550i is my daily driver so I do not really need the best performance tires for it. Reason I gave Hankook another try is because if I am unlucky enough to get more defected tires, I have 30 days to return and upgrade to better tires. For the price of 2 rear conti sport contract 2 is the same price is a set of hankook so I give it one last try and hope I won't regret.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bonsai55555
Well I hope I won't regret my decision but I order a set of Hankook v12 from discount tire. The 550i is my daily driver so I do not really need the best performance tires for it. Reason I gave Hankook another try is because if I am unlucky enough to get more defected tires, I have 30 days to return and upgrade to better tires. For the price of 2 rear conti sport contract 2 is the same price is a set of hankook so I give it one last try and hope I won't regret.
Sorry to hear that. You should really reconsider before installing them. Besides the pathetic quality control, the sidewalls on these tires are very soft. They make the car drive more like a Buick than a BMW and that's no joke. They steering feels very numb and the tires provide little feedback to the driver. I'm thinking about just eating the cost and getting a new set of Pilots instead. I mean, I paid good money for BMW handling and performance and these tires truly take away from the pleasure of driving an otherwise fantastic automobile. It's kind of like hooking up Wal-Mart speakers to a Bang & Olufson stereo.....

Old 06-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

mine are great. but i am running 20"
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I'm happy with my V12s (245/35F and 285/30R) on staggered 166 rims, so far.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Hankooks. You should post more pictures of your 535i with awesome wheels.

Originally Posted by 1BadDuc
Sorry to hear that. You should really reconsider before installing them. Besides the pathetic quality control, the sidewalls on these tires are very soft. They make the car drive more like a Buick than a BMW and that's no joke. They steering feels very numb and the tires provide little feedback to the driver. I'm thinking about just eating the cost and getting a new set of Pilots instead. I mean, I paid good money for BMW handling and performance and these tires truly take away from the pleasure of driving an otherwise fantastic automobile. It's kind of like hooking up Wal-Mart speakers to a Bang & Olufson stereo.....
Old 06-27-2011, 11:33 PM
Members

Thanks. I'm happy with the wheels, not so much with the tires.

What pressure are you guys using in the V12's? The stock pressure of 33/36 feels very soft to me.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

I'm running on V12's and never had an issue with them.

However, I used to have a set of unround tyres (other brand), and there is something you can do about it!
Every wheel has their high points and low points even if they seem to be completely round. When the high point (or low point) of the unround tyre settles on the high point (or low point) of the wheel, the combination vibrates. In this case, tell the mechanic to turn the tyre on the wheel 180°, like you turn a steering wheel. This helps the high (or low) points of the tyre and the wheel settle on different spots, and you may get rid of vibrating. I've seen this done and experienced that it sure helps!

- Antti -

Quick Reply: replace rear tires with hankook v12 now vibration!!! help