E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Removing headliner out of the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530i 2004
Default Removing headliner out of the car

I need to remove the headliner so it can be re trimmed. It is down already but we cannot find a way to have it come out of the car. Is there a magic way of turning this thing around? It is coming out from the front or the back? I have seen other post about using Alcantara on the trim, so it must be possible.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530d titansilver, manual transmission BMW 535d titansilver, automatic + AMG shift Paddles

I remember reading that the passanger seat has to go all the way back, down, and reclined almost over the rear seat. The headliner should go out through the passanger door, with a diagonal tilt.

It's much easier with the seat out of the car (a bit hard if it's an electric comfort seat though....)
And be careful not to bend the headliner because it's cardboard and it can get damaged easily.
Good luck
Old 05-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

BMW TIS requires that the right front seat is removed, the rear head rests removed, the left front seat reclined fully and then the headliner removed out of the right rear door.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 530i 2004

I was trying to figure it out for about 2 days now and I finally did it.

The headliner comes out from the passenger read door. I did have the back seat top and bottom part removed already for another reason, so I did not have any head rest in the way.

I lowered both front seats all the way to the back, then started rotating the headliner counter clock wise so the back portion would align with the back passenger door.

All the doors were opened to help with the rotation. There is a some flexibility in the headliner so you can flex it a bit to have it pass the middle pillars (front driver side of the headliner).

When I got the headliner rotated about 30 degrees, the passenger front seat was now in the way of the headliner coming out. I brought the seat all the way to the front and raised it all the way up again. From that point, the front of the headliner has to go towards the ceiling while the back is coming out the back door. I had to flex the corners a bit to get everything out.

I started steaming the fabric off the foam, but it seems the foam is also on its way out. It turned from white to dark yellow in places and crumbles. I guess it just moved from a re-glue job to a brand new headliner recovering.

Thanks for the replies, it will certainly make the job easier. Yes I have electrical comfort seats.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Not high jacking you thread but as this is regarding the head liner just wondering if it is possible to apply a fabric paint with sponge to paint it black without removing the headliner. Has anyone done it and how the paint will hold and last. I asked because I allready did my A pillars and they came out good. Now thinking to do the hole headliner. Looks time consuming applying it with sponge but it seams best way as it will not leave strokes. And also wondering if there is the reason for putting gray headliner and door pillars in black interior? Or this is just another option to get more money?