E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Removing the center hubcap of a Style 123/124?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hi Folks,

Is there a way to remove the center hub cap without removing the wheel? Not a problem if I have to destroy the center hub caps in the process. Is there space/gap behind the hub caps? One thought was to *carefully* drill a hole in the center of the hub cap and then use a coat hanger to yank/pull off the center hub cap.

TIA for your suggestions.

-CoolTones
Old 11-25-2005, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='203479' date='Nov 26 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi Folks,

Is there a way to remove the center hub cap without removing the wheel? Not a problem if I have to destroy the center hub caps in the process. Is there space/gap behind the hub caps? One thought was to *carefully* drill a hole in the center of the hub cap and then use a coat hanger to yank/pull off the center hub cap.

-CoolTones
I thinkall the center roundels are just high-quality stickers. I am not sure if you could get something under the edge or not--maybe fine fishing cord. I'll look at mine more closely tomorrow and will post back if I come up with anything potentially useful.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

They should just pull out. If you wanted to try to do it without damaging them, I'd try using some sort of strong suction cup that you could use to pull them straight out.

If you are in the mood to damage them, couldn't you drill a small pilot hole then install a screw into the cap and pull? Be careful not to drill too deep or use a screw that's long -- you don't want to damage the hub...
Old 11-26-2005, 04:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='203479' date='Nov 26 2005, 12:31 AM
Hi Folks,

-CoolTones
Why do you want to remove them?
cheers
vern
Old 11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback thus far!
*vnod: Appreciate anything that you find after looking into your hubcaps.

*Rudy: Appreciate the tip. I thought about the "drill a hole" part, but the screw seems like a good way to create a handle to pull on. Oh, and I just checked out the photos of your E60. White is such a sleek, smooth color! Cool background too!

*vern: I was on the fence about explaining the motivation behind my madness -- In fear of being accused of "BMW blasphemy"....

I've got a Titanium Silver E60. Just got a set of Black&Silver Carbon Fiber hubcaps. IMHO these hubcaps look great on a Silver (or Black like EuroCarFan's) E60. I've got the hood, trunk and steering wheel Black&Silver Carbon Fibers too.

Just trying to add a bit more "individuality".

Cheers,
-CoolTones
Old 11-26-2005, 09:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='203618' date='Nov 26 2005, 12:05 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the feedback thus far!
*vnod: Appreciate anything that you find after looking into your hubcaps.

*Rudy: Appreciate the tip. I thought about the "drill a hole" part, but the screw seems like a good way to create a handle to pull on. Oh, and I just checked out the photos of your E60. White is such a sleek, smooth color! Cool background too!

*vern: I was on the fence about explaining the motivation behind my madness -- In fear of being accused of "BMW blasphemy"....

I've got a Titanium Silver E60. Just got a set of Black&Silver Carbon Fiber hubcaps. IMHO these hubcaps look great on a Silver (or Black like EuroCarFan's) E60. I've got the hood, trunk and steering wheel Black&Silver Carbon Fibers too.

Just trying to add a bit more "individuality".

Cheers,
-CoolTones
I looked, and it appeared to me that you may be able to pry them up with something very thin. Be sure, of course, to protect the wheel where you would be applying leverage. To see what you are dealing with, check out Trunk Funk.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

CoolTones, thanks for the kind words about my car pics.

As far as you removing the centers, I still say a suction cup may be the simplest method and it shouldn't cause damage to anything...
Old 11-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='203656' date='Nov 26 2005, 02:44 PM
CoolTones, thanks for the kind words about my car pics.

As far as you removing the centers, I still say a suction cup may be the simplest method and it shouldn't cause damage to anything...
I have seen auto-dent suction cups. They might be the most powerful suckers around.
Old 11-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

Originally Posted by CoolTones' post='203479' date='Nov 26 2005, 05:31 AM
Hi Folks,

-CoolTones
they pull off easily with a suction cup i fitted the bimmerspinners a month ago and they supplie the suction cup almost size of roundel badge with a pull ring a sharp tug will remove. they are held with 6 plastic lugs so you could prize off all tound with a spatula plastic type from kitchen. but i would just buy a suction cup from a hardware shop dont be afraid give it a sharp tug straight out
Old 11-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by radioham' post='203743' date='Nov 26 2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the tip vnod & radioham!. Always nice to "hear" about someone else who has *successfully* removed the center hubcaps.

So, how do you like the hubcap spinners? Must give a pretty nice effect to those who can read the roundel on the freeway!

And then there's the cool effect of the BMW Roundel always being right-side up when you park.
Thanks again for the tip, guys!

Quick Reply: Removing the center hubcap of a Style 123/124?