E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Remove complete rear exhaust ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 06:15 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Nov 2006 530d standard for now :)
Default Remove complete rear exhaust ?

I've spent the past 4 weeks since buying my Feb 2007 E60 530d trawling around for info regarding performance increases/ better sounding etc etc.
One interesting thing that comes up is the complete removal of the exhaust from the Cat backwards and replacing them with straight pipes.
Those who have done this claim no loss in performance, but no major increase either and a minor increase in noise levels only.
Some seem to have removed the DPF as well without any dramas.
This is my first diesel after nearly 50 petrol cars over the last 40 odd years so all is very new to me.
Also, living in one of the most isolated cities on earth ( Perth Western Australia ) there are few people to actually ask these questions.
Thank god for the internet.
So, experts out there, is this a feasible option?
I fancy getting some body kit work done as well so I'd like to fit 4 outlets at the rear as per the M series, so I would get a S/Steel fabrication made up with dual outlets.
I have the swirl plate blanking plates on the way from the UK, and next week will have a Bluefin Superchip, reprogrammed from my RS250 Megane to use on this 530d.
Any constructive advice please folks ?
Cheers
Keith
Old 06-08-2013, 06:37 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 550i w/M-Tech, Sport and Cold Weather Pkg

@keithscossie - Good day to you! I don't have nor have I ever owned a diesel so I won't be much technical help. However I will confirm that you do live in one of the most remote cities on the planet, although rumors say the beauty of the surrounding area make it worth it!

On a serious note the only thing I would worry about would be excessive drone. If there are no performance gains would it be worth the excessive noise you would get by removing the resonators and mufflers? The diesel is a very "torqy" motor so I would be worried about drone right away as the power band is pretty immediate. Just my .02
Old 06-08-2013, 04:45 PM
New Members

Thanks Ditka550,
It certainly is beautiful around here and 10 years behind the rest of the worlds problems !
My late father in law was born in Peoria Illinois back in the 20's then the family went back to England. He always said it was beautiful there, but never went back.
Thanks re the drone, well my three other cars def drone !!
Cheers
Keith
Old 06-09-2013, 11:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 04 BMW 545i

The key thing on diesels is usually heat, more to the point Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT). When you add more fuel you add more heat to the combustion chamber/valves. On most diesels I have worked with (Ford/Mercedes) anything over 1200 degree was lethal for any period of time (melt pistons). The idea of removing all restrictive components of the exhaust was to help facilitate the rapid removal of these exhaust gases and help to keep that EGT down (also controlled with intercoolers/water & meth injection). With today's computer controlled diesels the computer tends to keep things under control while not allowing you to reach these dangerous levels. The only way to know for sure is to have gauges. As I have not heard much on these issues on the modified BMW diesels I am guessing it is not as much an issue. Though perhaps not a concern way down under, here in the states you must run a muffler. Luckily the federal government considers a turbo as a muffler so straight piping is not an issue, only the sweet turbo wine and exhaust growl. Hope this is helpful in some way.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:40 AM
New Members

Thanks Colonel, I found a supplier in the UK so i'm looking into it.
Cheers
Keith