E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is regular unleaded better than super unleaded?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Taz
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: I have a 2004 E60. It was registered in January 2004. It's a Black Sapphire 530i SE with a few options: - Auto-dim interior + folding exterior mirrors - Automatic gearbox - Bi-Xenon headlights - Bluetooth - Leather interior (Black-Dakota) - Navigation system - business - Service inclusive - Sport steering wheel - Star spoke 124 8Jx18"/9Jx18" + run flats - Top tint windscreen - BMW 6-CD autochanger - Supagard paint treatment - BMW carpet mats

I have an E60 530i SE and am in the UK. I've been filling up with Shell Optimax petrol (super ulneaded, 98-RON) since I got the car. However, due to a recent well-publicised fire in the South-East of England, there is a shortage of petrol at some petrol stations.

So, I filled up with regular unleaded (95-RON) and my range indicator is now showing more than 400 miles. I rarely get more than around 280 miles with a full tank of Shell Optimax. How can regular unleaded potentially provide a greater range?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

wow! good question!!! There was a thread a few weeks ago about which fuel everyone runs and shell v power was the overwhelming favorite, and there were warnings about running with high octane etc. I'm still not convinced that regular unleaded isn't just fine, and your post has me thinking more about it! What's up here guys?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Taz' post='217589' date='Dec 31 2005, 10:42 AM
I have an E60 530i SE and am in the UK. I've been filling up with Shell Optimax petrol (super ulneaded, 98-RON) since I got the car. However, due to a recent well-publicised fire in the South-East of England, there is a shortage of petrol at some petrol stations.

So, I filled up with regular unleaded (95-RON) and my range indicator is now showing more than 400 miles. I rarely get more than around 280 miles with a full tank of Shell Optimax. How can regular unleaded potentially provide a greater range?
Personally I don't think 'super' is worth the premium... Turbo engines benefit from higher octane fuel better.

However, all the performance figures by BMW would be using 98RON petrol and there will be a 'disclaimer' saying the performance is reduced with lower octane fuel...

Try both for a while and see which is best, 95RON is fine! (I think in the states 91RON is 'normal' and 95RON is regarded as 'premium'!)
Old 12-31-2005, 02:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Aluminum Cube Trim, M Sport Pkg, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, Head Up Display, Steptronic, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Through Load, Park Distance Control, Navigation , HK Logic 7, etc

what about 87 octane? That is our standard regular unleaded here.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:24 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by colejl' post='217594

Personally I don't think 'super' is worth the premium... Turbo engines benefit from higher octane fuel better.

However, all the performance figures by BMW would be using 98RON petrol and there will be a 'disclaimer' saying the performance is reduced with lower octane fuel...

Try both for a while and see which is best, 95RON is fine! (I think in the states 91RON is 'normal' and 95RON is regarded as 'premium'!)
[/quote]

Thats right, in the UK, 95 Ron is regular unleaded (there is nothing lower) and 98 Ron is the premium. I cant believe that 91 Ron still exists Stateside - surely no one puts in the their beautiful bimmer engines ???? Is it for the vans, trucks etc ? Also whats the current price of 95 Ron in the States - I wanna know how cheap it still is !!!!

Originally Posted by Trev550i' post='217595' date='Dec 31 2005, 11:19 AM
what about 87 octane? That is our standard regular unleaded here.

Oh my god !!! Your scaring me dude. You might as well not get a 550i if your going to put 87 Octane in it !!!!
Old 12-31-2005, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

haha I never said I would. I'm just curious what is the lowest you can get away with and still have good performance?
Old 12-31-2005, 02:43 AM
IMU
Contributors

Welcome to the site Taz

Nice to have another SE England E60 owner on board

As to your query, i'd say your OBC range was at fault - have you checked the range the old fashioned way?

Most people report an increase in mpg when using higher octane fuels, marginal maybe, but an increase nonetheless (set-off by the higher costs tho')
Old 12-31-2005, 02:53 AM
SKK
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IMU' post='217602' date='Dec 31 2005, 11:43 AM
Welcome to the site Taz

As to your query, i'd say your OBC range was at fault - have you checked the range the old fashioned way?

Most people report an increase in mpg when using higher octane fuels, marginal maybe, but an increase nonetheless (set-off by the higher costs tho')
Doesnt the range depend on how the car has been driven over the last few miles ? The range can vary a lot as a result.
Old 12-31-2005, 02:57 AM
IMU
Contributors

Originally Posted by SKK' post='217607
Welcome to the site Taz

Doesnt the range depend on how the car has been driven over the last few miles ? The range can vary a lot as a result.
[/quote]

True. Which is why i do not rely on the computer for range/mpg calculations period. Unless you drive your car in a straight line on one road for the whole range of the tank, the computer cannot calculate your 'future' tank range based on the previous driving data
Old 12-31-2005, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

To get the best performance use what the manual states. Turbocharged engines don't benefit from the higher octane. However, generally, engines with higher compression ratios will be more efficient with higher octane fuel. In today?s engines you can get away with lower octane without damaging the engine but the engine management system will retard the engine to compensate and as a result you won't get the full output from it.

Quick Reply: Is regular unleaded better than super unleaded?