E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Regenerative Braking

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='416526' date='Apr 22 2007, 08:07 AM
As for me? Well, I still have the US Gas Guzzler Tax receipts for all my 5 sport series cars since 1987....
Ray

I totally agree. This hybrid technology probably wastes more resources than it saves. As for the plug-in hybrids... all you're doing is shifting the pollution from gas emmissions to power-plant emissions. The electricity in the wall outlet has to come from somewhere, and if you live in the USA that most likely means coal. So while your car might not pollute as much, the power plant will pollute more to support the increased power needs for cars.

It's kinda like recycling paper. Recylcing paper wastes more energy and resources than making paper from trees. It uses more energy to run the plants, uses more fresh water in the process, and therefore pollutes the environment worse. Plus there are all the extra trucks which have to pick up the recyclables and then cart them to the processing center, and they create more gas emmissions. And then you have wasted human resources spent sorting the crap. And when you consider that paper is made from trees which grow on tree farms, specifically intended for paper production uses.... the only trees you're saving are on the farms. That's like growing a field of corn for people to eat, but then saying not to eat the corn. The trees which need to be saved are the ones in the rainforests. But they are not being used for paper, and never have been. They get slashed and burned to make room for human development. So recylcling paper doesn't save rainforests. It just saves tree farms.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='416534' date='Apr 22 2007, 09:37 AM
As for the "setup cost", the US has the cheapest e60 prices anywhere AFAIK.

ABC

Most things are cheaper here.... because we're awesome.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='416557' date='Apr 22 2007, 04:47 PM
And the weak dollar helps us economic tourists even more....

Yup, full of awe... (or is that awful?)

ABC
Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='416557' date='Apr 22 2007, 05:47 PM
Or atleast you believe so...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='416534' date='Apr 22 2007, 03:37 PM
a contribution of about 3 percent to overall fuel efficiency.

Not that stupid where fuel costs $140 per tankful, especially when contributing to a 15% overall fuel saving on some models between LCI and legacy.

As for the "setup cost", the US has the cheapest e60 prices anywhere AFAIK.

ABC

I'm an electrical engineer myself and I'm pretty sure that if this system is engineered correctly, you can save a few percent or even more (unless you're doing constant speeds all the time, like any hybrid principle).

In most cars, there's so much energy wasted by "dumb" mechanics, which can partly be saved by doing things much smarter electronically, even when electronic energy is gained relatively inefficiently.

I think it's more than a marketing trick. If you look for example at the LCI 535d performance / fuel consumption ratio, it's really good. But of course that's only on paper and the proof is in the pudding..... I've read about people going from a pre-LCI 530d to an LCI 530d and I'm curious if they can see a difference in real life...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='416555' date='Apr 22 2007, 09:42 AM

I totally agree. This hybrid technology probably wastes more resources than it saves. As for the plug-in hybrids... all you're doing is shifting the pollution from gas emmissions to power-plant emissions. The electricity in the wall outlet has to come from somewhere, and if you live in the USA that most likely means coal. So while your car might not pollute as much, the power plant will pollute more to support the increased power needs for cars.

It's kinda like recycling paper. Recylcing paper wastes more energy and resources than making paper from trees. It uses more energy to run the plants, uses more fresh water in the process, and therefore pollutes the environment worse. Plus there are all the extra trucks which have to pick up the recyclables and then cart them to the processing center, and they create more gas emmissions. And then you have wasted human resources spent sorting the crap. And when you consider that paper is made from trees which grow on tree farms, specifically intended for paper production uses.... the only trees you're saving are on the farms. That's like growing a field of corn for people to eat, but then saying not to eat the corn. The trees which need to be saved are the ones in the rainforests. But they are not being used for paper, and never have been. They get slashed and burned to make room for human development. So recylcling paper doesn't save rainforests. It just saves tree farms.
Do you really believe this stuff? Recycling paper is another issue. The US gets about 50% of it electricity from coal. Even if an electric vehicle was not any more efficient that a gas vehicle, you would still reduce carbon because 25% of the electricity is not generated from carbon. Now - there is no question that a large power plant is more efficient than your car and that electric motors are more efficient that ICEs - but even if not, there would be a 25% reduction in carbon just by a switch to a plug in EV. There is also no question that the percentage mix will change from carbon over the next 20 years, gradually lowering the carbon that you use. The other issue that should matter to anyone with some knowledge of international politics, war and terrorism is that oil comes from relatively unstable areas of the world. Coal and Natural Gas are plentiful in the US. So by shifting away from oil, you shift power ($$$) away from these unstable regions.

Ethanol is ridiculous but it does have the side effect of reducing the use of oil so does have some geopolitical advantage.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='417127' date='Apr 24 2007, 10:54 AM
Do you really believe this stuff? Recycling paper is another issue. The US gets about 50% of it electricity from coal. Even if an electric vehicle was not any more efficient that a gas vehicle, you would still reduce carbon because 25% of the electricity is not generated from carbon.
It's always interesting to bandy about percentages and efficiencies so I will too.

And far from being a fuel of the past, coal is very much a fuel for the future. The use of coal to generate electricity in the United States rose by over 188% between 1970 and 2003, and government energy experts predict that the use of electricty from coal will rise by another 25% by 2020.

As our electricity demand continues to increase, coal will continue to be a fuel for America's future. The sheer volume of available coal reserves is an advantage that is hard to ignore. America has more than 274 billion tons of recoverable coal reserves - a 250-year supply based on current usage levels. That's 29 times the known U.S. reserves of natural gas and 54 times the known U.S. reserves of oil.
http://www.balancedenergy.org/abec/index.cfm?cid=7538

Something else about carbon footprints.

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/upload/postpn268.pdf

Personally I don't see what all the fuss is about since the globe has always warmed and cooled and the current "warming" phase started in the 1930s and has shown no correlation to energy consumption. It seems to be an excuse to raise more taxes.

I agree that we should conserve finite resources and generally preserve our environment, but let's apply some judgement to our decisions. Not mass hysteria.

ABC
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER
Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='414834' date='Apr 17 2007, 02:46 PM
It's what all Priuses do: energy generated during braking is used to generate electricity, which charges batteries, which feed electric motors at X wheels to assist in takeoff and around town. Conversions are very expensive because the chassis has to modified. Also, batteries are all different. Also different brands use different driveline designs (different-size motors at more or fewer wheels).

Right now, at work, (NYSERDA) we are working on Plug-In Hybrids. They have larger LiIon battery capacity and can be supplementally charged on household current over night, thus providing more electric miles (about 100 mpg and generally peppier starts). Our black Pirus was finally delivered last week, after making the rounds to the White House etc. http://www.a123systems.com/html/news...022607_pr.html Haven't driven it yet, but I did do an event with the Governor in it.

Conversion to Plug-In hybrid status cost around $45,000, but is coming down rapidly as major maufacturers are investing in the technology. Check out our contractor's website A123systems.com .

Have not seen specific BMW info on it; to date, they have been working on hydrogen powered 7s.
Ray Hull
Ray, any information on the Stop and Go System that they are supposed to be using in some of the hybrids? TIA
cheers
vern
Old 04-24-2007, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vern' post='417163' date='Apr 24 2007, 02:12 PM
...any information on the Stop and Go System that they are supposed to be using in some of the hybrids? TIA
The 1-Series has such a "Stop-START" system. Stop-GO is the other BMW marketing name for the LCI Active Cruise Control function.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/26/bosch-s...w-bmw-1-series/

It will be rolled out to other ranges as appropriate. Expect it in the F10

ABC
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='417166' date='Apr 24 2007, 03:18 PM
The 1-Series has such a "Stop-START" system. Stop-GO is the other BMW marketing name for the LCI Active Cruise Control function.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/26/bosch-s...w-bmw-1-series/

It will be rolled out to other ranges as appropriate. Expect it in the F10

ABC
The Start-Stop function is due in the 5-series in September.

Quick Reply: Regenerative Braking