E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reflections of 6 years of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 12:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, after 6 years and 200.000 kilometres driven, and think it would be appropriate with a minor evaluation of the car.

We bought the car brand new in Stockholm, when we lived there, and after a year of ownership we moved back to Denmark, and decided to import the car, to the country in the world with the highest cartaxes ever (180 % + VAT) !!

During the first year we had a some warranty issues, and BMW had to replace the following parts, under warranty:
? Door seals
? Automatic transmission
? Torque converter
? Passenger airbag sensor
? Bluetooth module

The years went on, and the only parts we have changed are front brakes at 125.000 km?s, and the rear pads at 130.000 km?s, an ABS-sensor at 150.000 km?s and all six glow plugs at 200.000 km?s. The car has been serviced at BMW for the regular oil-changes at every 30.000 km, and the manual states.

Issues at 200.000 km?s:
? Seat heating not working properly (drivers seat)
? The left power folding mirror doesn?t work properly
? Rust on most of the window frames

All of the issues above will be taken care of, ASAP

The car is still quiet and a pleasure to drive, as the first day when we picked it up. We have always maintained to the extreme (no dings or scratches yet!!) and hand washed it, so I would say that the car still looks like a new one (deduct all the stone chips on the front bumper ;-) ).

On a summer night:
Reflections of 6 years of ownership-dsc05100.jpg

Detailing to perfection:
Reflections of 6 years of ownership-img_0247.jpg
Old 03-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 528i xDrive Titanium silver metallic with light grey interior Premium package Value package Steptronic Split fold-down-rear seat Xenon headlights

Wow - you have a great deal of courage!

With all that warranty work, which if it was not covered by the warranty, would have probably cost 50% again the original purchase price, you decided to keep the car after the warranty period.

On the other hand, most of the expensive parts were replaced.

Doesn?t speak to highly of BMW initial quality.

Here in America, many of us lease our cars. The leases are usually for the warranty period.

Beyond the warranty period, work on the BMW becomes prohibitive: labor is presently $135 an hour. Who knows where it will be in four years when the warranty runs out.

Recently I was at my BMW dealership and a service advisor was speaking to another customer who had brought in his 2008 3 series for NY State inspection. The inspection was only $37 and the car passed.

However, the service advisor recommended replacing the two front tires, $605 plus an alignment, $215, together with tax almost $900 and this with a car with only 28,000 miles!

Fortunately the customer asked whether his car will pass inspection with the tires and the answer was ?Yes?.

He decided to do nothing.

Here in America, especially in the New York City region, dealers are forced to compete with each other, so profit margins are slim.

The dealer?s make up for this loss of profits in the service end.

JeffK
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6 speed Manual

so the gov't charges an additional 80% of the car value? so if the car costs 50K then the taxes are 40K, so the out the door price is 90K for a 530? holysh*t, that is brutal.

thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Very nice write up! Thanks for sharing
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by response_surface
so the gov't charges an additional 80% of the car value? so if the car costs 50K then the taxes are 40K, so the out the door price is 90K for a 530? holysh*t, that is brutal.
Much of europe is similar. If we get Obamacare we can expect that here too.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

Originally Posted by JeffK
Wow - you have a great deal of courage!

With all that warranty work, which if it was not covered by the warranty, would have probably cost 50% again the original purchase price, you decided to keep the car after the warranty period.

On the other hand, most of the expensive parts were replaced.

Doesn?t speak to highly of BMW initial quality.

Here in America, many of us lease our cars. The leases are usually for the warranty period.

Beyond the warranty period, work on the BMW becomes prohibitive: labor is presently $135 an hour. Who knows where it will be in four years when the warranty runs out.

Recently I was at my BMW dealership and a service advisor was speaking to another customer who had brought in his 2008 3 series for NY State inspection. The inspection was only $37 and the car passed.

However, the service advisor recommended replacing the two front tires, $605 plus an alignment, $215, together with tax almost $900 and this with a car with only 28,000 miles!

Fortunately the customer asked whether his car will pass inspection with the tires and the answer was ?Yes?.

He decided to do nothing.

Here in America, especially in the New York City region, dealers are forced to compete with each other, so profit margins are slim.

The dealer?s make up for this loss of profits in the service end.

JeffK
check this out: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/27/i...your-car-fixe/

also, it's not as if you can't go elsewhere and get 2 new front tires and an alignment for far less than $900. that is pretty outrageous.

there is a something awful character named JeffK who was pretty funny back in the day
Old 03-04-2010, 07:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by njlou
Much of europe is similar. If we get Obamacare we can expect that here too.
Time for a reality check - it's not "similar in much of Europe", the nordic countries are much more severe than the rest of Europe when it comes to taxation of automobiles. And even if we get "Obamacare", we won't see similar taxation rates for cars in the US in our lifetimes, guaranteed.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

very nice write up, glad your still happy after 6 years. On a side note i pay £215 p/year for car tax, ours is done on the emissions.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

I wonder if my car will last me 6 years ??? Let's see, if it DOES last me 6 years, my car would have 220,000 miles!
Old 03-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by safetywork
I wonder if my car will last me 6 years ??? Let's see, if it DOES last me 6 years, my car would have 220,000 miles!

Wow - my car is 6 years old, but I only have 29k miles on her

Quick Reply: Reflections of 6 years of ownership