E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reduced Engine Power indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yesterday when I went to pass an annoying left lane driver holding up traffic, my "Reduced Engine Power" warning light illuminated when I depressed the pedal. The bad thing is, the car actually had reduced power. I would say it felt like the turbos were no longer working or somewhere in the power loss of 20-30 %! About 20 minutes later I stopped for fuel and the car was off for ~ 10 minutes. Started car and light was out. I checked the information system and there was no indication. As I got on the hwy I depressed the pedal again to the floor and the problem returned. Light on and reduced power... I still had 100 mile to get home and the light remained on the entire time. The car sat about an hour and then I took it to the dealer to be checked. Again, when I started the car and drove off, no light. I drove pretty aggressive to the dealer and again no light and car felt normal! Does anyone know what this could be? I hate taking the car to our dealer! I am only thinking at the end of the day they will say, all is ok and we could not duplicate problem, bring it back if it returns... I had the light come on around six months ago and there was no power loss with that warning. The dealer replaced some electronic device and everything seemed ok. This time, I don't think they are related since I actually had a power loss.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F11 -14

It's impossible to tell what it is; you need to get the error memory checked and that is best done by a dealer or a garage that has the same equipment and knowledge. Sorry, mate!
Old 02-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535i 6-speed
Model Year: 2008

If I had to guess...I would say this is a fuel injector issue. The fault code is gonna have to be pulled to know for sure.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

what year model e60 do you have? If it's a 535i/xi, most likely the hpfp...
Old 02-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Like it was said above, it could be anything. I am not familiar with the HPFP issue ( I have an '04 545i) but have read enough about it to know its certainly a possibility in certain models. It could also be that something got wet - trunk or ebox up front.

I wouldnt rule it out and say its unrelated to the last incident... it very well may be. My issue was an MPM... I got reduced power and a slew of other warnings... the MPM was changed out and the error went away. What I didnt know was that it was caused by plugged storm drains and it happened again but this time caused almost $7k worth of damage.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Yesterday when I went to pass an annoying left lane driver holding up traffic, my "Reduced Engine Power" warning light illuminated when I depressed the pedal. The bad thing is, the car actually had reduced power. I would say it felt like the turbos were no longer working or somewhere in the power loss of 20-30 %! About 20 minutes later I stopped for fuel and the car was off for ~ 10 minutes. Started car and light was out. I checked the information system and there was no indication. As I got on the hwy I depressed the pedal again to the floor and the problem returned. Light on and reduced power... I still had 100 mile to get home and the light remained on the entire time. The car sat about an hour and then I took it to the dealer to be checked. Again, when I started the car and drove off, no light. I drove pretty aggressive to the dealer and again no light and car felt normal! Does anyone know what this could be? I hate taking the car to our dealer! I am only thinking at the end of the day they will say, all is ok and we could not duplicate problem, bring it back if it returns... I had the light come on around six months ago and there was no power loss with that warning. The dealer replaced some electronic device and everything seemed ok. This time, I don't think they are related since I actually had a power loss.
Did you, by chance, use BMW Assist to report the problem at the time it occured? I don't know for sure maybe that uploads some info to your dealership. At any rate, a more thorough diagnostic is in order.

One additional thing I've done in the past is to take pictures of the iDrive or instrument panel alerts -- I'm sure you have a cell phone with photo capability ... my dealer thought that was a very handy record of any problem I was experiencing.

Maybe a picture is worth 1000 words
Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Looks like the problem is fixed, so I am told. Actually out of the country at the moment, but they said it was ready. The repair was a vacuum line to the turbos, or a vacuum line that controls something with the turbos. Ok I see now how it could be anything like some of you mentioned when the reduced power light illuminates.