E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Redline Products

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:57 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Default Redline Products

Does anyone have an opinion, positive or negative, about Redline products? I have a 2008 550i 6MT and am getting ready to change and use the following:

Engine Oil: Redline 5w-30
Differential: Redline 75w-90 GL-5 Gear Oil
Trans: Redline D4 ATF
Coolant: BMW Coolant with Redline Water Wetter additive

I have done a fair amount of reading from multiple sources: BMW, 5Series, Bimmerfest, Bimmerforums, BobIsTheOilGuy and oil company literature. Have not done the work yet and am interested in what people think.

I am also going to use Dimple magnetic plugs for diff, trans and oil.

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I've used the Redline gear oil same weight on a previous car and had no complaints but at 124.000 miles the original BMW differential oil was still like new. Could have went to 250,000 easy. As far as engine oil just stick to the BMW it'll probably be cheaper. I don't know why you would use Redline ATF when you have a manual transmission, you would use the same gear oil as differential. Why put an additive in your coolant if you're using BMW coolant? I get the feeling you have some association with the above listed products.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:30 AM
New Members

Thank you for the reply. No association with the product just like that they appear to be high quality products that are made in the USA, with a good record on the track maintaining integrity under extreme conditions. The reason for the coolant additive is lower overall operating temperatures.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a similar decision process as yourself. Redline products are fantastic, though because they don't go through the expensive process of certifying them for all of the most recent LL certs from BMW/MB, etc., you don't really know how they'll work in the latest engines. I used to use RL exclusively on a prior E34 M5 and 535i, with great results. I also used their water wetter product.

My thought process on the engine oil was as follows: although I probably wouldn't have any problems using the appropriately-weighted engine oil in my car, I also wouldn't see much of a benefit, so why introduce the unknown. I have gone with Euro-formula Castrol 0w-30.

Different story when it comes to differential and transmission oil - I don't think there is much new tech or closer tolerances, or whatever, in the driveline components versus prior years. On next change I'm planning on going with Redline MTL and 75w-90 for the rear. The only thing I'm hoping for is slightly better shifting performance. I don't think I'll see much of any benefit from the diff oil. I probably won't use the water wetter product, but haven't thought about it all that much.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

I use MTL in the transmission, and it's fine and smooth in this climate (Houston). Supposedly you have to be a bit more careful with the shifting when it's cold, and for that reason many people use D4 ATF in their manual transmission. In your climate you'd probably be happy with either one.

Haven't run across any compelling reason to use water wetter.

For the engine I've been running RedLine 10W/40, due to (1) roasting hot summers and (2) this N62 engine (545i) has a reputation for running high oil temperatures. Your engine has a nice big oil cooler, so that probably doesn't apply to you.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

I'm about to change Tranny (manual) and Diff fluid this weekend and decided to go with Redline fluids. I always see people on here and other forums talk about em to I decided to give it a shot. Also there's a BMW maintenance article that suggest using the Redline fluids I already purchased the fluids so Im not turning back now,lol.... Idk about there engine oil though.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:51 PM
New Members

Thanks for your input! Do you have a link to the article from BMW about Redline?
Old 11-30-2012, 12:52 PM
New Members

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to add thoughts and any yet to come.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Metalcolt
Thanks for your input! Do you have a link to the article from BMW about Redline?
I have the PDF saved on my comp. PM me your email I'll send it to you.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
New Members

I have been reading all of your comments and they are much appreciated.

My car has 30,000 miles on it now and my main drive for doing the transmission and differential is not that I don't believe that the BMW products last a long time. But, I cannot get my head around not at least changeling them out once from the original fluids put in at the factory. I feel like if there were any issue or problem to be seen I would never know till is was a real issue. It also seems like a good idea to get anything out that sluffed off during the break in period. I have also never heard anything that makes me think it is ok to go 15,000 in between oil changes.

After I make a final decision I plan on posting a follow up with some photos showing the difference in appearance between the old fluids and new fluids, as well as any appreciable contaminates found in used fluids. Would it be best to do that as a reply on this thread or start a new thread? I am new to this forum/blogging thing and do not want to post things in annoying ways.

Quick Reply: Redline Products