E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Reconsidered my position on Run Flats today.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d Sport, carbon black, media pack, visibility pack, grey leather, heated seats, sun protection glass, voice control, Eibach ProKit, 19" 166 style wheels, e-maps ECU remap to 325hp and 640NM, top speed limiter removed

And are you sure an RF will be a life saver in a blowout ?

If a tyre blows out as in burst, I doubt it makes a huge difference if RF or not

Forgot to say, whatever makes you feel safe and comfortable, do it. It's personal opinion and evaluation.

I am far away from recommending to do it, but for me, based on my personal experience, I did it. Well I have 19's on anyway.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='351536' date='Nov 2 2006, 04:32 PM
I factor... the probability of it "saving a life" based on my past history/experience.
Toss an normal balanced coin 99 times and it lands heads. On the hundredth throw the probability of a the coin landing tails is atill 50%.

ABC
Old 11-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by olli_535d' post='351621' date='Nov 2 2006, 11:25 AM
... If a tyre blows out as in burst, I doubt it makes a huge difference if RF or not ...
It's personal opinion and evaluation.
True, true..

That's why there's that Donut tire in the trunk and a cell phone in my pocket.

You can continue to drive slow to point wherever in a runflat but that tire is done ($$$)
I'd rather call for help(BMW Assist ) or switch to my spare if safe to do so, then drive to a tire shop.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

As far as I am aware even non-runflat tyres are of a tubeless type and do not therefore suffer blowouts. The damage inflicted by a foreign object penetrating a tubeless cover, sufficient to immediately deflate the tyre would probably have similar consequences on a runflat tyre.

Where the run-flat tyre gains is that you do not need to empty the boot and fit a spare wheel to continue your journey, or stop in a safe place and call for help. The reason for this is to remove the need to change the spare immediately, partly because the force and skills necessary are not available to all potential drivers of the vehicle. Especially women.

Where a run flat tyre loses out is that if you reach your destination at 8:00 PM on a Saturday evening, you may not be able to order a replacement tyre until Monday morning, for Tuesday morning delivery and fitting. This is an unlikely scenario, butunfortunately rather more likely than a runflat actually preventing a fatal accident. This is without taking into account cost, tyre life, handling and comfort.

The runflat tyre is pure marketing. On the one hand it removes the obligation to supply a spare tyre, reducing cost, weight and CO2 emissions and at the same time increasing the room for shopping. On the other hand it makes the vehicle more attractive to women, who can continue their journey home, or at least to a safe place before stopping.

Runflats are for girls!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='351678' date='Nov 2 2006, 03:49 PM
As far as I am aware even non-runflat tyres are of a tubeless type and do not therefore suffer blowouts. The damage inflicted by a foreign object penetrating a tubeless cover, sufficient to immediately deflate the tyre would probably have similar consequences on a runflat tyre.

Where the run-flat tyre gains is that you do not need to empty the boot and fit a spare wheel to continue your journey, or stop in a safe place and call for help. The reason for this is to remove the need to change the spare immediately, partly because the force and skills necessary are not available to all potential drivers of the vehicle. Especially women.

Where a run flat tyre loses out is that if you reach your destination at 8:00 PM on a Saturday evening, you may not be able to order a replacement tyre until Monday morning, for Tuesday morning delivery and fitting. This is an unlikely scenario, butunfortunately rather more likely than a runflat actually preventing a fatal accident. This is without taking into account cost, tyre life, handling and comfort.

The runflat tyre is pure marketing. On the one hand it removes the obligation to supply a spare tyre, reducing cost, weight and CO2 emissions and at the same time increasing the room for shopping. On the other hand it makes the vehicle more attractive to women, who can continue their journey home, or at least to a safe place before stopping.

Runflats are for girls!
The added weight of the runflats is likely more than the weight of a spare tire (donut) and jack.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='351690' date='Nov 2 2006, 10:13 PM
The added weight of the runflats is likely more than the weight of a spare tire (donut) and jack.
Really? Do the math.

ABC
Old 11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by andymac' post='351298' date='Nov 1 2006, 07:29 PM
Had been thinking of swapping these for standard tyres based on forum comments but following a puncture on my way to work today which failed to disrupt my day I know I am going to stick with them.

Got to work fine had time to phone around and get some prices and drove to the garage when I had some free time this afternoon to have a new one fitted (Goodyear NCT5 ?171.00 Fitted)

Did a 500 mile round trip at the weekend with my wife and 2 children in the car at motoway speeds. Just thinking that if I swapped for non run flats and then had a high speed blow out in this situation I would never forgive myself if anyone got injured.

Are the benefits of improved ride / lower noise worth the safety / convenienece compromise?

On balance I would say not.
How many serious accidents occur due to tire blowouts? Not sure. I'd say a blowout is a much bigger concern for a big high center of gravity vehicle like an SUV or for a car traveling at very high speed on the autobahn. That said, I don't have kids and might think different if that was the case. Then again I don't see Volvos everywhere.

Knock on wood, I've never had a blowout in 20 years. Only flat tires.

My runflats are fine but arguably a tad rough. I'm used to it. Not alot of long distance daily commuting for me. After driving a 525 with standard tires, I must say it rode much smoother. If commute situation changed and involved long daily commutes on the expressway, I'd consider a non-flat tire for sure.

CVT Benhogan
Old 11-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='351643' date='Nov 2 2006, 08:31 PM
[with a funflat] You can continue to drive slow .... I'd rather call for help(BMW Assist ) or switch to my spare if safe to do so, then drive to a tire shop...
...slow on your donut...

BTW contrary to what I previously thought, looking on this forum, it is not uncommon to get runflats repaired after a puncture and some subsequent uninflated driving.

ABC
Old 11-03-2006, 02:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520d M-Sport / Silver Grey / Maple Wood / Black Dakota Leather / Heated Comfort Seats / Media Pack With Extended Voice Control / Space Saver Spare Wheel / Sun Protection Glass

There seems to be something of a misconception here. One of the greatest advances in tyre technology was the introduction of tubeless tyres. This was done specifically to prevent blowouts. Tubeless tyres when punctured will not blowout. Damage that would cause a tubeless tyre to deflate so rapidly as to cause an accident would have a very similar effect on a run on flat tyre. Runflats offer no security advantage over a normal tubeless tyre, other than the fact that you are unlikely to get mugged when putting the spare on.

Forget the safety point of view, there isn't one!
Old 11-03-2006, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Nevermind' post='351831' date='Nov 3 2006, 11:41 AM
Damage that would cause a tubeless tyre to deflate so rapidly as to cause an accident would have a very similar effect on a run on flat tyre.
I cannot agree or disagree.

What IS a fact is that the sidewalls of a runflat tyre have different strength characteristics compared to a conventional tubeless tyre.

ABC

Quick Reply: Reconsidered my position on Run Flats today.......