E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 03:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

I have a 2006 530i and the recommended tire pressure differs depending on speed and load. For me the speed and load differs greatly, and changing tire pressures constantly would be a pain the rear end. Is there any drawbacks to keeping the pressure set at the max which is 36 front and 44 rear. It roughens the ride, but improves the fuel economy, at least I have been told.

Is this true?

Are there any handling drawbacks?

What exactly does the increased pressure do to accomodate higher speeds?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

Someone know these answers...common!

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 02:19 PM
I have a 2006 530i and the recommended tire pressure differs depending on speed and load.? For me the speed and load differs greatly, and changing tire pressures constantly would be a pain the rear end.? Is there any drawbacks to keeping the pressure set at the max which is 36 front and 44 rear.? It roughens the ride, but improves the fuel economy, at least I have been told.

Is this true??

Are there any handling drawbacks??

[snapback]179087[/snapback]
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM
I have a 2006 530i and the recommended tire pressure differs depending on speed and load.? For me the speed and load differs greatly, and changing tire pressures constantly would be a pain the rear end.? Is there any drawbacks to keeping the pressure set at the max which is 36 front and 44 rear.? It roughens the ride, but improves the fuel economy, at least I have been told.

Is this true?

Yes. I settled on 34 rears and 32 fronts to avoid tire wear, promote smooth ride, and to provide good traction.? 44/36 is way excessive on the high side regardless of what the manual or the door says. Others will have somewhat different views, but I am betting that almost no one runs 44/36.

Are there any handling drawbacks?

I am not sure. Except for rougher ride, likely excessive tire wear in the centers, and worse traction.?

Less friction if you mean top-end type speeds.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:13 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

The owner's manual has everything you need to know:

Recommended Tire Pressure-picture_2.jpg
Recommended Tire Pressure-picture_3.jpg
Recommended Tire Pressure-picture_4.jpg
Recommended Tire Pressure-picture_5.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Chewbacka (07-26-2023)
Old 10-04-2005, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Yes, max pressures ruoghens the ride, but that's about the only drawback. In slow speeds the tire is of course much less flexible but if the suspension is in order this should not be a problem.

And note, it DOESN'T increase tire wear in the centers. This is a old beliving from the '70's when the tires where what they where.

The tyre is under much more pressure whilest driving fast or rough. If the tire pressure is not on max, the tire can "bend under" and even get loose from the rim.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM

Is this true??

Here's an interesting read from Tire Rack. Anc, do a search on "tire wear." The various tire-wear guides continue to mention center wear from over inflation. However, it also may be true that such concerns are not as great as they used to be.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:37 AM
[quote name='nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM']I have a 2006 530i and the recommended tire pressure differs depending on speed and load.? For me the speed and load differs greatly, and changing tire pressures constantly would be a pain the rear end.? Is there any drawbacks to keeping the pressure set at the max which is 36 front and 44 rear.? It roughens the ride, but improves the fuel economy, at least I have been told.

Is this true??

Here's an interesting read from Tire Rack. Anc, do a search on "tire wear." The various tire-wear guides continue to mention center wear from over inflation. However, it also may be true that such concerns are not as great as they used to be.
[snapback]179173[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good reads, donv. Other than comfort, higher (within specs of course) seemed to be better from the reading I did. Any reference to center wear seemed to point to "over" inflation, which appears most of us would not do. Did you notice how well the Tire Rack article on tire inflation versus speed tracked with the BMW manual recommendations Das posted. Apparently alot more research in Europe due to the increased speeds that can be driven regularly in there (well at least Germany). I have started going to just under the max recommended pressures, although I run a light load generally. That is what I have done on other car/tire combos with great success, at least on the tire wear side.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Oct 4 2005, 12:47 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 4 2005, 11:37 AM'][quote name='nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 06:19 AM']I have a 2006 530i and the recommended tire pressure differs depending on speed and load.? For me the speed and load differs greatly, and changing tire pressures constantly would be a pain the rear end.? Is there any drawbacks to keeping the pressure set at the max which is 36 front and 44 rear.? It roughens the ride, but improves the fuel economy, at least I have been told.

Is this true??

[snapback]179173[/snapback]
[/quote]

Good reads, donv. Other than comfort, higher (within specs of course) seemed to be better from the reading I did. Any reference to center wear seemed to point to "over" inflation, which appears most of us would not do. Did you notice how well the Tire Rack article on tire inflation versus speed tracked with the BMW manual recommendations Das posted. Apparently alot more research in Europe due to the increased speeds that can be driven regularly in there (well at least Germany). I have started going to just under the max recommended pressures, although I run a light load generally. That is what I have done on other car/tire combos with great success, at least on the tire wear side.
[snapback]179245[/snapback]
[/quote]Yes, I did note the correspondence you mention. And, higher definitely is better given very fast driving. The pressures that BMW give exactly mirror the idea from the article that they are aimed at European fast-lane driving. And, I too am not near the maximums for in town driving. But, for the road, I will bring them up some after reading the article. As mentioned, I am at 34 [R] and 32 (F). What are you running exactly? I once put my pressures up to the BMW recommendation and found the ride uncomfortable in general.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Members

Anyone in Germany know the conversion between PSI and bars? I live in Germany and the local Esso station has a digital air pressure filling station that is in bars.

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 4 2005, 05:13 PM
The owner's manual has everything you need to know:

Attachment 11051
Attachment 11052
Attachment 11053
Attachment 11054
[snapback]179135[/snapback]
Old 10-04-2005, 12:03 PM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by nbarco' date='Oct 4 2005, 02:59 PM
Anyone in Germany know the conversion between PSI and bars?? I live in Germany and the local Esso station has a digital air pressure filling station that is in bars.
Since you're on the internet, wouldn't it be quicker to just search for it?

1 psi = 0.06895 bar
1 bar = 14.50326 psi

Quick Reply: Recommended Tire Pressure