E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Recommendations needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

I'm going to be washing the car this weekend at my house for the first time and need some essentials. I know I need 2 buckets for water and microfiber drying cloth thats about it. I need you guys help on picking a good car shampoo/wash, wash cloth for the car and if I should get a water hose to use. If you have anything else to add that would be great. Also, Im leaving the country soon, so Im not planning a spending spree just something that will last me a about a month.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Meg Gold Class shampoo...
Wash mitt at Walmart, either the blue or white microfiber kind should work.

Also don't forget to let the water, without the nozzle, run from top down to the side at the end before drying to let the water sheets off the panel. If possible use a leaf blower to get the water out of those crannies area. When drying, try not to drag the towel but use the blotching technique. I know it's a bit longer but it will help prevent from more scratches and swirls.

Check out autopia.org for more good washing tips.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Alright thanks for the help. Any specific nozzle I should try getting?
Old 07-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Members

Zaino
Old 07-20-2011, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Adam's Polishes has a pretty good nozzle and lot of other good products as well.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ETNav382
I'm going to be washing the car this weekend at my house for the first time and need some essentials. I know I need 2 buckets for water and microfiber drying cloth thats about it. I need you guys help on picking a good car shampoo/wash, wash cloth for the car and if I should get a water hose to use. If you have anything else to add that would be great. Also, Im leaving the country soon, so Im not planning a spending spree just something that will last me a about a month.
Maybe a little pricey for your needs, but I like to wash my cars with a boar's hair brush. Unlike a sponge or cloth, which can hold onto abrasives that you are washing off your car, I've found that a good brush releases all the nasty stuff and does a great job of cleaning. If you don't want to spring for that much expense, find a microfiber washing mitt at any auto supply store; they work well. I'd say that any good consumer-grade shampoo will work, such as something from Meguiar's or Mother's. Don't forget your wheels. I use P21S gel, but there are a lot of good wheel cleaners available at any auto supply store. Just be aware of the fact that, unlike some of the more expensive cleaners, you generally don't want to leave them on your wheels for more than a couple of minutes. Also, you'd want to wait until you've washed all the painted surfaces to scrub your wheels.

Finally--and maybe this goes without saying--I wash all my washing cloths/mitts and drying towels after each use. Failing to do that risks scratching your car the next time you use them.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MisterMike
Maybe a little pricey for your needs, but I like to wash my cars with a boar's hair brush. Unlike a sponge or cloth, which can hold onto abrasives that you are washing off your car, I've found that a good brush releases all the nasty stuff and does a great job of cleaning. If you don't want to spring for that much expense, find a microfiber washing mitt at any auto supply store; they work well. I'd say that any good consumer-grade shampoo will work, such as something from Meguiar's or Mother's. Don't forget your wheels. I use P21S gel, but there are a lot of good wheel cleaners available at any auto supply store. Just be aware of the fact that, unlike some of the more expensive cleaners, you generally don't want to leave them on your wheels for more than a couple of minutes. Also, you'd want to wait until you've washed all the painted surfaces to scrub your wheels.

Finally--and maybe this goes without saying--I wash all my washing cloths/mitts and drying towels after each use. Failing to do that risks scratching your car the next time you use them.

+1

and also if you use microfiber towels, do not use those Bounce drying sheet. Make sure when you wash the microfiber towels, don't dry it with anything that has lints since it will stick to microfiber like glue.