E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Wheels not straight?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsal' date='May 6 2005, 09:45 PM
From the picture you took, it sounds like you are referring to the "toe-in look"? versus the normal BMW rear wheel camber /CAR\.

Your picture looks the same as my 545.? The wheels are actually parrallel to the axle, it is just a visual deception since the fender behind the tire is flared out more than the fender/door in front of the tire.

So standing where you were and looking down at the tire/rim, it looks like it is cocked.
[snapback]125245[/snapback]

I think that is what he is referring to "toe in".

Now that I look at my car again, would agree it seems like the visual deception that jsal is suggesting.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i Jet Black on Grey Interior--- Tint: Sides 20% Rear Windshield 5% Front Windshield 35% Wheels: Zenetti Five's 20" by 8.5(front) 20" by 10(rear)-- Tires: Pirelli Asimmetrico 245/35/20(front) 285/30/20(rear)-- Body: Hamann Full Front Spoiler, Rieger Side Skirts, Rieger Rear Apron, AC Schnitzer Trunk Wing Interior: AC Schnitzer Pedal Set and E-Break Springs: H&R Sport Springs-- Audio: 2 12" Kicker L7's with a Rockford Fosgate 1501bd Amp With Custom Trunk Enclosure SOON TO COME: -M5 Mirrors -M5 Trunk Finsher -Brembo GT Big Brake Kit -Hamann 6 Series Front Spliter Molded -Hamann Roof Wing -Full Custom Sound System with TV's

No I don't believe that the wheel is tilted.. my car is the same as your but this si what I have always thought it was.. when you are lookin at the wheel your thinking its not straight according to the wheel-well fenders..well the fenders are exactly on a straight line and the fenders throw off the look of the wheel to just make it seem as if the wheel is tilted..but its really not.. this is what I have always thought it was.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I remember mine looking like

/car\ also looking from the back. I'll have to double check tomorrow... too late to go outside...
Old 05-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Contributors

When the dealer does an allignment here they give you a printout of all angles of each wheel before and after, including the margins BMW allow. I`m not home but will try to scan it next week.
Have you tried a <waterpas> measurement device with bubble to check straightness. (help me out here Dutch speakers please.)

BTW Mark, time to polish your shoes..
Old 05-07-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Guys, I can see it my car too. It is totaly normal.

1) You see what you see You see it not straight towards the fenders, but who said the fender is straigt too. It is just optics

2) In fact it is not totaly staight because of perfect grip with the road and E60 sport riding quality. Check some racing cars or even beast such as ferrary, porches, they all have this. Also the bigger the size of your weels the more you can see the angel. Put 16" rims and it will be straigt, put 20" and you will see something
Old 05-07-2005, 03:53 AM
Contributors

Mark is that picture with the spacer installed?
Old 05-07-2005, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Mark, sorry if I confused you. Hopefully I can clear things up using the diagrams others have used. (The key is to determine the point of view.)

For camber, look at the car while standing behind it:
Negative camber: // CAR \\
Positive camber: \\ CAR //

For toe-in/toe-out, look down onto the car from the roof:
Toe-in: // CAR \\ (like walking pigeon-toed)
Toe-out: \\ CAR // (like walking normally)

This link may be better at explaining the two.

I agree that the bodywork may be deceiving and could be causing the apperance of toe-in or toe-out but it's pretty easy to see positive or negative camber when looking from behind. As I and others have said above, the car should have some negative camber.

I don't know much about wheel mods, spacers, etc. but this brings up a question: Does adding wheel spacers affect the overall alignment geometry of the car? In other words, maybe you should have had the alignment done AFTER the spacers were installed?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Mine have negative camber // CAR \\ looking from the rear and I can't help but think that the alignment is out!

I have travelled some 15,000 miles on Dunlop RFTs and this is what happened

The tires cupped on the inside and it did not occur to me to check inner wear especially on the rear tires.

Dealer replaced all 4 tires (front slightly cupped, maybe also due to negative camber??) free of charge. They claimed that they have a tech bulletin on this pointing fault to tires only. No mention of doing any alignment.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Negative camber will always result in the tires wearing on the inside first, positive camber will always result in the outside wearing on the outside.

Only zero camber will prevent the uneven wear but you'll give up some handling...
Old 05-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

AFAIK, the rears are toe-in (towards front) deliberately; but should camber be zero?

Quick Reply: Rear Wheels not straight?