E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear wheel bearing gone at 78K?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
updates?

My car has been making a droning noise for a while now over 45mph....and gets louder the faster I go. At first I thought it was my balding run flats....but now with the new wheels and non runflat tires I still am hearing the same noise. Sounds like it is coming from the back right, and when I turn hard to the right to get the weight off the right side, the noise quits until I straighten back out. If I turn hard to the left, the noise gets louder. I jacked up the car and grabbed all 4 wheels to try and move them, but I didn't notice any play.
I've got an appointment tomorrow for an alignment and I'll have them check everything out.....from previous experience on a different car, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing.
Definately sounds like a classic wheel bearing failure. As long as your car hasn't been in the snow belt, it should be a fairly simple DIY.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
Definately sounds like a classic wheel bearing failure. As long as your car hasn't been in the snow belt, it should be a fairly simple DIY.
How about rear end noise? Wouldn't the noise fade/ get worse depending on turns if there was an issue there? It still has the original gear oil. Either way, it's pretty sad...the car has less than 75k miles on it
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM
Members

I guess I'm not sure what you meant by hard turns left and right. I'm assuming you are driving on a highway and turning left and right briefly; just enough to unload the bearing and quiet it down, or load the bearing more and make it louder.

I haven't encountered a rear diff that only made noise on one side, or changing noise on different suspension loads.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

hard turns left or right- like exiting off on a fwy off ramp...the kind that makes a tight loop. Or going 30mph or so and turn the wheel sharp and quick, back and forth...like a race car does when warming up their tires
Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Members

I'd still consider that wheel bearing noise. The 'race car keeping their tires warm' turning is what I've generally done to test for bearing noise. The way an open differential works, it shouldn't make noise turning one way over turning the other.

Suprising that a wheel bearing would go out that quick, but definately not impossible.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Members

Ok folks, update time. I got the rt rear bearing replaced, not an easy job, but definitely a DIY that I could do in a third of the time on the next go. Noise is absolutely NO different. I cranked the car and it had a miss, and the malfunction message was on. Scanned it and got a P0306 misfire code, but it cleared after a few miles of driving. Been a lot of rain down here and the car has been sitting for a few days, guess the moisture had gotten into the boot.

Anyway.... I even put the spare on each of the back positions and test drove each time. No change. The sound is sorta like a 4x4 with mud grips, a "droning" noise I suppose as was mentioned above. Guess I'll bite the bullet and let my wife take it to the indy or the dealer tomorrow. I hate driveline noises, they can be a booger to pinpoint. Just hope to god there's not an issue with my rear diff. The other bearing wouldn't be too bad to replace, just hate to swap parts at random!
Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

pfft...

:l

im having mine replaced and its still good

mech said i had to replace it in order to replace the hub

im replacing the hub because of some bastard's in ability to put in the wheel bolts correctly

egh... over all not too bad since i got deals on it all

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

got mine checked out today. Diagnosed as a bad right rear wheel bearing. Covered under CPO......getting replaced Thursday
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Members

Mine's still at the indy. Should know by this afternoon. No CPO for me!
Old 01-05-2011, 04:41 AM
Members

Mechanic was out of town most of yesterday, got it up on the rack late. Could not get the DTC to turn off long enough for the car to get up to speed on the rack. His computer was tied up on another car. Will get it back in there Friday to get it up in the air, turn off the traction control and get it fast enough to hear the noise with his stethoscope. Just hope it's only the other bearing, sure don't need other problems like the rear diff.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing gone at 78K?