E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearing gone at 78K?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car started making a noise like a tire was going bad, but I couldnt find a bulge, and there's plenty of tread. Took it today and put it up on the rack at my local tire shop and spun the tires. Seemed a good vibration could be felt when you held your hand on the strut spring as the tire spun. No lash in it that we could tell, so I went ahead and ordered a wheel bearing.

Anybody else ran into this issue yet? Gonna be a DIY, not sure what tools I'll need, haven't had time to look at the manual yet.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:40 AM
Members

Wow, nobody had this issue?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Redneck
Wow, nobody had this issue?
One of the rear wheel bearings was replaced in my car. I'd have to check when. It was completed for the previous owner under warranty.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

not the wheel bearing, but i had my rear knuckle replaced (103k), a good $500 part. to be honest, it's wear and tear. you might as well check for play in each wheel when you have the car up.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:22 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My rear bearing failed at 27K.....
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 AM
Members

Well, I got it up last night and had to go get a slide hammer hub puller. Hope it goes good this morning. Slide hammers scare me, lol.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Redneck
Well, I got it up last night and had to go get a slide hammer hub puller. Hope it goes good this morning. Slide hammers scare me, lol.
Let us know how it goes... Slide hammers can be fun! The kids love 'em.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Senior Members

I have that same noise, well maybe is that what it is a bearing??? I thought bearing maybe a squeaking noise
Old 01-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
I have that same noise, well maybe is that what it is a bearing??? I thought bearing maybe a squeaking noise
Sounds like a bad tire noise, gets worse in turns. Going to try to put it together today hopefully, though I'll have to wait till tomorrow to get a new axle nut from the dealer. I am really worried about geting the axle drawn into the bearing and drive hub, the bentley book only says "use special tool or equivalent"
Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

updates?

My car has been making a droning noise for a while now over 45mph....and gets louder the faster I go. At first I thought it was my balding run flats....but now with the new wheels and non runflat tires I still am hearing the same noise. Sounds like it is coming from the back right, and when I turn hard to the right to get the weight off the right side, the noise quits until I straighten back out. If I turn hard to the left, the noise gets louder. I jacked up the car and grabbed all 4 wheels to try and move them, but I didn't notice any play.
I've got an appointment tomorrow for an alignment and I'll have them check everything out.....from previous experience on a different car, it sounds like a bad wheel bearing.

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearing gone at 78K?