E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Suspension refresh and KW coilover

Old 01-05-2015, 06:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005
Default Rear Suspension refresh and KW coilover

I replaced pretty much everything except spring and wheel bearing of my front suspension at 100k and now I am at 125k. I have done nothing to rear suspension. I am at original shock on the rear. I thinking to get KW v2 coil over by the spring as I am intending to keep this car another 2 years. I going to install them my own but to save time when the car will be on lift what are the rear suspension components that have to be replaced exept socks and springs? I also would like to hear honest reviews of KW coil over. I read some good things here about them and based on this I think KW are good to choose. This gonna be my first coilover. I also can not decide between v1 and v2.?
Thx
Old 01-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Margal, if you don't mind me asking, what all did you replace up front? I know there's the strut, spring and then the thrust arm bushing. Is there anything else? I'm planning on getting a set of monoballs in spring since I have already replaced the shocks and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a pair of Bilstein B8s for the front on my 545i sport and was wondering if you had considered those?
Old 01-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

ETNav, There are also end links for the ars, if equipped, and the top hats.

Margal, I've had KW V2's installed for the last 2 years and they definitely help improve the handling characteristics with minimal loss in comfort. I know Peder out in CT also got V2's after he took a ride in my car and was amazed at how the car handled while maintaining most of the stock ride comfort. The V1's are good too however they are only hieght adjustable and the V2's allows you to also adjust rebound which will affect ride comfort, either softer or firmer feel.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ETNav382
Margal, if you don't mind me asking, what all did you replace up front? I know there's the strut, spring and then the thrust arm bushing. Is there anything else? I'm planning on getting a set of monoballs in spring since I have already replaced the shocks and want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I replaced sock mounts, Engine mounts, sway bar links, bushings, control arms lower and upper. Tie rods inner and outer. That covers pretty much wear components of front suspention.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:42 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
ETNav, There are also end links for the ars, if equipped, and the top hats.

Margal, I've had KW V2's installed for the last 2 years and they definitely help improve the handling characteristics with minimal loss in comfort. I know Peder out in CT also got V2's after he took a ride in my car and was amazed at how the car handled while maintaining most of the stock ride comfort. The V1's are good too however they are only hieght adjustable and the V2's allows you to also adjust rebound which will affect ride comfort, either softer or firmer feel.
So do you think that upgrading to KW v2 from stock is good move? Is there any regrets or concerns after going to Coilover?
Old 01-06-2015, 06:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I have replaced my dampers with coilovers. I had mine done by JRZ suspensions in the Netherlands. I think they have the best Customer Service, I have experienced. Tom and Erik were really great to work with. Although this was the first they made for the E61 xDrive, and some changes needed to be made along the way, I am really happy I went with them rather than the KWs. I

The ones I got both have adjustment for compression and rebound, but the main difference, in the install, is KW wants you to use the original bump stops that came with the car, but JRZ doesn't want them installed. I ordered mine with Swift springs (for the front as it has self leveling air springs in the rear) and was incorporated into the order.

Here is their website: JRZ Suspension: custom shock absorbers for race, road, rally, BMW, Porsche, Nissan
Old 01-07-2015, 05:54 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
I have replaced my dampers with coilovers. I had mine done by JRZ suspensions in the Netherlands. I think they have the best Customer Service, I have experienced. Tom and Erik were really great to work with. Although this was the first they made for the E61 xDrive, and some changes needed to be made along the way, I am really happy I went with them rather than the KWs. I

The ones I got both have adjustment for compression and rebound, but the main difference, in the install, is KW wants you to use the original bump stops that came with the car, but JRZ doesn't want them installed. I ordered mine with Swift springs (for the front as it has self leveling air springs in the rear) and was incorporated into the order.

Here is their website: JRZ Suspension: custom shock absorbers for race, road, rally, BMW, Porsche, Nissan
i do not see BMW 5series e60 in there list. is this custom ordered?. Seams Interesting but are those coming assembled with sock mounts so you just take out the old and put the new in? how is the ride compaired to the stock? is there anyone else except you running them? and what is the price compared to KW?
thx
Old 01-08-2015, 05:53 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I am the first and only one (currently) that has this system. I've lowered my car and it definitely rides better than original. And if I may say so myself, It rides better and less finicky than the KWs. I have read somewhere in these forums, the KW has a minimum lowered height you can be at. I have lowered my car to almost the lowest point of the coilover and it still has no issues.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:40 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Originally Posted by Margal
So do you think that upgrading to KW v2 from stock is good move? Is there any regrets or concerns after going to Coilover?
I think it is. I'm still happy with the V2's even after putting over 50k miles on the set I have. I'm not sure what finicky feeling RIHI is referring to but I haven't experienced that issue and I've done numerous aggressive drives, Skaggs and Mines rd runs, with no issues. Also from my sig pic you see how low I've lowered my car too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Suspension refresh and KW coilover