E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear suspension rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)
Thumbs up

Ok, so some of you might remember that my car got hit on the left side during a snow storm (while parked) about 3 weeks ago. The car has now been at the shop for - seems like eternity - 2.5 weeks. The body is pretty much all done and ready for paint (I'm waiting for a spoiler to come, so that I can decide whether to paint it with the rest of the car or leave it CF). But that's not the point

When the car was hit, the rear left wheel was left at angle to the entire car. The insurance company gave the money to replace the two arms, but now that they have been replaced, the balancing is still not straight. The wheel is visibly off its normal position and (obviously) we've checked the wheel itself (spun it to 90mph and it is completely true, in terms of balancing). So my mechanic says that there is a "suspension frame" piece and a "knuckle" that need to also be replaced. Those two are apparently 1000+ and 540+ dollars respectively, (good thing insurance is supposed to cover it)

But my question is this: what should I really be looking at in the rear suspension after a serious hit to the wheel? The wheel was at about a 30-35 degree angle to the car, if you looked at it from top or bottom after the hit. Looks like the impact came from behind and bent the suspension, while the entire side got it rough as well. So far we've replaced the two arms, the suspension frame is on order and so is the knuckle. What else?

here's the pic of the car right when I discovered that it was hit:
http://forums.e60.net/uploads/monthly_02_2...99415_thumb.jpg

I'm getting paranoid that even if all the parts are replaced and even if the balance comes true, there might still be something wrong with the car - is that possible, or am I just paranoid?

PS Why couldn't that idiot - whoever he/she was - just had hit my car on the bumper, or something?!?!
Old 02-26-2009, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I would suggest you want to be looking at replacing the rear subframe personally, and checking those mounts on that subframe are indeed undamaged, especially as you say you replaced the bones already.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I think I may have mis-quoted my mech. - I believe, sub-frame is exactly what is actually being replaced right now. I believe also, that the subframe was ordered as a complete assembly with mounts.

Originally Posted by Phantom Mark' post='801992' date='Feb 26 2009, 05:48 AM
I would suggest you want to be looking at replacing the rear subframe personally, and checking those mounts on that subframe are indeed undamaged, especially as you say you replaced the bones already.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

If you replace the subframe, the bones and the subframe mounts are not distorted you should be all good in theory, does it have tie rod bars on the back, not crawled under mine to have a look ?

If so and you still have problems thats one of the only other bits I can see being wrong, asside of course from maybe a distorted top mount ( where you bolt the top of the strut ) ?