E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
View Poll Results: Better with or without?
yes - add them
87.93%
no - car looks better without them
12.07%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Rear Reflectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 06:51 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I installed the red reflectors as soon as I got my car. I think the body colored inserts (and black ones on '04 cars) look like an afterthought (which they were). Personally, I'd rather have nothing there--just a smooth bumper, but since the holes are a given, I went with reflectors. Here's before and after pix:
Rear Reflectors-img_0971.jpg
Rear Reflectors-img_1094.jpg
Old 11-12-2005, 07:01 AM
Contributors

this is old news..but when buying new e60..make sure to ask you sale rep to add them. If not they forget and they dont to it.

Make sure you ask for them right before you sign the paper. (just kidding). If you ask they give them for free...including debaging
Old 11-12-2005, 07:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 525i SE Black Saphire, Black Dakota Leather, 116 type alloys

Glad we get the Red ones as standard in the UK. IMO definitely looks better on the standard bumper rather than the colour coded inserts.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Members

I dont like them but would prefer them to an insert if my car wasn t black.
They make the rear of the car look too busy and really have no practical purpose IMO[b]
Old 11-12-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by stream' post='197194
No choice in the UK, they come std on all SE models. I think the only reason they look better is because the bumper looks odd with the cut outs in body colour. I'd like to see an SE bumper without either reflector or body colour pieces, just an all in one bumper. That would probably look the best.

When the E60 first came out you could always tell when you were coming up behind one from the 4 reflectors.
Merv, does UK law require some kind of reflectors at the level shown on your car? I guess I am wondering whether BMW had to design some sort of reflectors for that level in the UK and other EU countries or did the Company put them there as an on-purpose design "feature."
Old 11-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by donv' post='197223
I installed the red reflectors as soon as I got my car. I think the body colored inserts (and black ones on '04 cars) look like an afterthought (which they were). Personally, I'd rather have nothing there--just a smooth bumper, but since the holes are a given, I went with reflectors. Here's before and after pix:
Attachment 12439
Attachment 12440
Hi Stream: No offense, but your pictures of "my" car clarified that I like at least silver gray better without them. It's not that the cars don't look good with, I just have a slight preference for without.

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' post='197192' date='Nov 12 2005, 10:48 AM
No choice in the UK, they come std on all SE models. I think the only reason they look better is because the bumper looks odd with the cut outs in body colour. I'd like to see an SE bumper without either reflector or body colour pieces, just an all in one bumper. That would probably look the best.

When the E60 first came out you could always tell when you were coming up behind one from the 4 reflectors.
Merv, does UK law require some kind of reflectors at the level shown on your car? I guess I am wondering whether BMW had to design some sort of reflectors for that level in the UK and other EU countries or did the Company put them there as an on-purpose design "feature."
[/quote]

I think is the lighting and camera that causes the 4 reflector effect.
Old 11-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 06 530i. Premium, Sport, powere shades, Sat. radio and hopefully the occasional groupy in the seat.

how much for the reflectors Don?
Old 11-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by donv' post='197223
Attachment 12439
Attachment 12440
Hi Stream: No offense, but your pictures of "my" car clarified that I like at least silver gray better without them. It's not that the cars don't look good with, I just have a slight preference for without.
[/quote]

Me, too--I like the look better without red reflectors, assuming the bumper didn't have those holes, which make the body colored inserts look "after market" if you know what I mean!
Old 11-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i Titanium Silver Metalic and 2003 325xi Jet Black with the Premium Package in both cars.

They look great on my Titaium Silver, especially in the night....they do make a difference.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributors

I have titanium silver and it definitely looked better with them than without. However, now I have the m-tech rear bumper... so I have a set sitting in my garage. Why not PM me and I will mail them to you and you can decide for yourself???

Quick Reply: Rear Reflectors