E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Passenger comfort access door handle doesnt work. My high drain battery issue?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 || ML63 AMG
Default Rear Passenger comfort access door handle doesnt work. My high drain battery issue?

Well in my quest to find the reason for my high drain battery issue, someone recommended I check all my comfort access door handle one by one, to see if all of them open the car.

Well, my rear passenger door, wont open via comfort access. So it seems this might be my reason for the battery drain issue im having?

What do you guys think?

What is the best way to go about this? unplug the comfort access for this door somehow?
And or what parts will need to be replaced?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:15 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I stated in post #2 of your other thread, comfort access door handles have indeed been a common source of high rate battery drain.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:03 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
As I stated in post #2 of your other thread, comfort access door handles have indeed been a common source of high rate battery drain.
Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it.

Can the door handle comfort access carrier be uninstalled or replaced from the outside with removing the handle? Or will I need to take apart the whole door.
Wish there was a easy way to disconnect the CA for this door as I never use it!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 5soko
Thanks for all the help! Appreciate it.

Can the door handle comfort access carrier be uninstalled or replaced from the outside with removing the handle? Or will I need to take apart the whole door.
Wish there was a easy way to disconnect the CA for this door as I never use it!
Procedure for E60 CA door handle removal
http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/7n5qt-...ndles-e60.html

This is procedure on 745i - Not sure it is exactly the same for your car, but shouldn't be too different, and seems to be more decipherable that the first one.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=501895

This thread (post #4) discusses moving the key fob far away from the car to prevent the car and fob from communicating continuously with the car.
https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...access-107528/

Thread outlining the problems with comfort access.
Advice on Comfort Access sensor problem - BMW engineers can't fix - BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums

Discussion regarding replacing fob battery and resetting.
http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/4fr8r-...i-comfort.html

Good luck with it!

Thank goodness the comfort access is one of those "wonderful new BMW electronic features" (read nightmares) us owners of pre LCI E60s don't have to endure.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 AM
New Members

Thanks for the help..

I went google searching to find how to deactivate the comfort access and on my 09, it seems to be the fuse in the glovebox, fuse #36, and it did indeed deactivate comfort acess.

My rear passenger comfort access door handle, it appears it is sticking, but does work sometimes, not always, so def some kind of problem.

I took out the fuse last night, and today got no high battery drain message!

Might pull the door panel, and disconnect the comfort access carrier plug by the door handle for that door. Will still be able to lock, unlock etc but wont be able to lock/unlock the door from the rear passenger door via comfort access, which I never ever used before anyways.
Rather then spending 300 dollars on a new comfort access carrier for that door, rather just leave it unplugged.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for the help..

I went google searching to find how to deactivate the comfort access and on my 09, it seems to be the fuse in the glovebox, fuse #36, and it did indeed deactivate comfort acess.

My rear passenger comfort access door handle, it appears it is sticking, but does work sometimes, not always, so def some kind of problem.

I took out the fuse last night, and today got no high battery drain message!

Might pull the door panel, and disconnect the comfort access carrier plug by the door handle for that door. Will still be able to lock, unlock etc but wont be able to lock/unlock the door from the rear passenger door via comfort access, which I never ever used before anyways.
Rather then spending 300 dollars on a new comfort access carrier for that door, rather just leave it unplugged.
Good job sticking with it until you found a resolution!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
Good job sticking with it until you found a resolution!
Thanks man, and for the help..
Im hoping this can help someone else in the future aswell since its a common issue.

Found a lot of info on the issue researching and playing with the car.

2 things that cannot be done as of this morning through trying.
Cannot pull a fuse for individual CA doors.
Cannot code out a CA door through coding.

Fuse for the Comfort access control unit, which will switch off Comfort access is #36 in the fuse box in the glovebox. (this will stop power to the CA and you can 100% narrow down your high drain discharge)

Easy way to check if CA is your high battery discharge message fault:
If you do think you have a high battery drain due to CA,
Lock your car, and go door by door checking the function of the CA, the door that doesn't work via CA or is acting up is more then likely drawing power when the car is asleep.

Remove fuse for CA, and then see if high battery discharge message pops up again.

If a CA door is your problem, then you will have to replace the CA carrier for that door, which is behind the door handle, and only accessible from the inside of the car.

This is the par number for the rear left door carrier: 51227191587
For the rear, right door carrier: 51227191588
Price is steep at $337.42 from realoem.com

The price of a carrier without CA is $62. Technology price!

My solution since I never use the rear door on the passenger side, any of the rear doors for that matter, to open or close the car via comfort access, I will be trying to just disconnect the wire to the CA carrier for the rear door that the CA isn't working for me.
Will save me $337, stop the battery drain, and also have everything functional again.

Will update when I go ahead this week and remove the plug for the CA to that door.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:03 AM
New Members

My Ride: 08 535i JB4. 6HP21 AT. Sport Suspension
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Thanks man, and for the help..
Im hoping this can help someone else in the future aswell since its a common issue.

Found a lot of info on the issue researching and playing with the car.

2 things that cannot be done as of this morning through trying.
Cannot pull a fuse for individual CA doors.
Cannot code out a CA door through coding.

Fuse for the Comfort access control unit, which will switch off Comfort access is #36 in the fuse box in the glovebox. (this will stop power to the CA and you can 100% narrow down your high drain discharge)

Easy way to check if CA is your high battery discharge message fault:
If you do think you have a high battery drain due to CA,
Lock your car, and go door by door checking the function of the CA, the door that doesn't work via CA or is acting up is more then likely drawing power when the car is asleep.

Remove fuse for CA, and then see if high battery discharge message pops up again.

If a CA door is your problem, then you will have to replace the CA carrier for that door, which is behind the door handle, and only accessible from the inside of the car.

This is the par number for the rear left door carrier: 51227191587
For the rear, right door carrier: 51227191588
Price is steep at $337.42 from realoem.com

The price of a carrier without CA is $62. Technology price!

My solution since I never use the rear door on the passenger side, any of the rear doors for that matter, to open or close the car via comfort access, I will be trying to just disconnect the wire to the CA carrier for the rear door that the CA isn't working for me.
Will save me $337, stop the battery drain, and also have everything functional again.

Will update when I go ahead this week and remove the plug for the CA to that door.

Did you ever get it fixed by just unplugging that one handle? Im curious as I had my 08 535i down for about 2 weeks waiting on a radiator, wp, and expansion tank. Put it all back together and low and behold I have a high discharge warning on idrive after long periods of car being off. Nothing serious as I test battery voltage when car is off and asleep. Shows 12.2. So far driving using stays between 13.0-13.4 depending on ambient temp. Haven't noticed any weird electrical issues other than when I went to do a draw test with the multimeter, my alarm went off cause doors were locked and latch on trunk was pushed to leave access to battery open, after this I started the car and found that window anti pinch or whatever warning came on. Im more worried about the battery drain right now and was going to try and do a voltage drop test on all the fuses as I fried the fuse in my multimeter with that stupid alarm and it wont read amps anymore lol.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Received 101 Likes on 97 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Viren, 5soko has not posted in over 6 years, so it's likely he no longer has his 5er. You might try sending him a PM in the likelihood that his email is still connected to the site.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:08 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

I had this exact same issue, and stopped the high battery drain by unplugging the rear passenger door handle. That door handle comfort access would periodically try to auto lock and unlock itself, causing the drain. You have to determine which door handle is the one causing the drain.

Last edited by dingolfing; 04-17-2020 at 06:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Viren Patel (04-17-2020)

Quick Reply: Rear Passenger comfort access door handle doesnt work. My high drain battery issue?