E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear license plate stuck on bracket

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Default Rear license plate stuck on bracket

Please bare with me. I was new to BMW and had no idea they had specific screws for both the front and back brackets. My dumb self wanted wanted to put a license plate frame on the rear but the screws were too small. I took one of the front screws and tried screwing it on the back. After a few turns of it not going, I tried to revert to original. I put back the original rear screw on and it doesn't stop turning, nor can I unscrew it. I understand there's a plastic backing that holds the screw.

What's the easiest way to remedy this? I already ordered a new bracket and screws just in case. I hope it's not impossible to take this damn plate off because I just ordered new plates.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not sure of the problem. If you are looking for new screws with larger heads, take one of each the front and back off and head off to Advance Auto Parts and get some new ones. Or you can go to the local BMW dealer and get some too. I don't remember any specific problem with putting on a license plate frame.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Easiest way.. i would say you have to cut the plastic bracket out.. if there's only one screw holding it on... or bend the plate out of the way to get to the remaining two screws that are holding it to the bumper.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:26 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Not sure of the problem. If you are looking for new screws with larger heads, take one of each the front and back off and head off to Advance Auto Parts and get some new ones. Or you can go to the local BMW dealer and get some too. I don't remember any specific problem with putting on a license plate frame.

The rear screws were too short. My license plate frame is metal. One of those "alumni" plate frames.

Originally Posted by rice_rocket88
Easiest way.. i would say you have to cut the plastic bracket out.. if there's only one screw holding it on... or bend the plate out of the way to get to the remaining two screws that are holding it to the bumper.
Both upper screws are on. The right one won't come off because it just spins freely.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

While slowly unscrewing, pull on the frame out towards you. This should help in the removal of the screw since only one is stuck. If that don't help then tie a string (preferably nylon) just under the head of screw and while slowly unscrewing pull on string outwards. A flat head screwdriver or credit card can also do the trick. good luck
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by gbrldz
The rear screws were too short. My license plate frame is metal. One of those "alumni" plate frames.

Both upper screws are on. The right one won't come off because it just spins freely.
Another way to get that spinning screw off is to get a pair of pliers or even vise-grip pliers and grab and pull out the screw while unscrewing it.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 AM
New Members

Yes.. but first you have to be able to get the bracket off first. When i bought my car it was rusted together. I drilled it out, but the plastic melted from the heat. I just bought another bracket from bmw for 31? Same price as online from everywhere.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:04 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Another way to get that spinning screw off is to get a pair of pliers or even vise-grip pliers and grab and pull out the screw while unscrewing it.
Oh, that sounds pretty good! I just might have to try that. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM
New Members

Issue solved!

I didn't realize I could bend my plate up to reach the screws attaching the plate to the trunk lid so I could remove the whole bracket off to get to the back nut much more easily. I took that right off and was EASILY able to put a pair of needle nose pliers on the nut and unscrew it like normal. I didn't even need to buy a new plate bracket but did anyways. Oh well.

If any of you have a similar problem in the future, read this!! Bend your plate upward and just bend it back!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
New Members

Lol my original post said to bend the plate out of the way to unbolt the ones holding it to the trunk... but that's cool.. glad you got it done.

Quick Reply: Rear license plate stuck on bracket