E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear glass rubber wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i

Awesome, thanks guys...looks like an easy and cost effective fix.

I'm on it as my trim is all cracked as well.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I Still got to do the front trim, but for now the rears are done.DYI will be up this weekend..... Coming Soon!!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

I finished replacing my back window rubber.. I wish i knew about it before.. This is what i used:

1. 3in1 caulk tool _ Home depot paint section had a small plastic scraper- it came hand but could done it without it..
2.Purple Power cleaning degreaser- I used to clean after I removed the rubber
3. 3in1 I used it as a lubricant to install the new one. This was a bit slippery didn't like it much..

The rubber came in a huge box I could fit the entire glass and the rubber
Rear glass rubber wearing out-box.jpg

Before replacement

Rear glass rubber wearing out-004.jpg
Rear glass rubber wearing out-003.jpg
Rear glass rubber wearing out-005.jpg

My tools

Rear glass rubber wearing out-006.jpg

Started removing the old rubber from the bottom left all the way up, i had to do the same from the right side as well, came off pretty easy.

Rear glass rubber wearing out-007.jpg

The clean up was a pain because the little pieces were stuck and I had to use a little hair pin to get them out, after 30 min or so using the Purple Power it was nice and clean.

Rear glass rubber wearing out-008.jpg
Rear glass rubber wearing out-009.jpg

Adding the new rubber I had some hard time getting the top right corner right, after many tries i got it finally!!

Now it looks the was it supposed to. Nice!
Rear glass rubber wearing out-010.jpg
Rear glass rubber wearing out-011.jpg

Not bad for 1st time DYI..
Old 06-12-2011, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by tnycman
I finished replacing my back window rubber.. I wish i knew about it before.. This is what i used:

1. 3in1 caulk tool _ Home depot paint section had a small plastic scraper- it came hand but could done it without it..
3. 3in1 I used it as a lubricant to install the new one. This was a bit slippery didn't like it much..

Attachment 122082

Before replacement

Attachment 122090
Attachment 122088
Attachment 122092

My tools

Attachment 122094

Started removing the old rubber from the bottom left all the way up, i had to do the same from the right side as well, came off pretty easy.

Attachment 122095

The clean up was a pain because the little pieces were stuck and I had to use a little hair pin to get them out, after 30 min or so using the Purple Power it was nice and clean.

Attachment 122096
Attachment 122097

Adding the new rubber I had some hard time getting the top right corner right, after many tries i got it finally!!

Attachment 122098
Attachment 122099

Nice job!
Man, I can't believe you waited so long to replace it.
Yours was really bad!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks !!

According to the stealer I had to spend a couple of hundred of dollars to replace the glass and add the rubber, and then the tint again..
I kind of trusted them, never went for a second opinion.. Almost, went to replaced it, but thanks to this board I didn't ..

The saving will go to my M-Tech aerodynamic kit fund that I'm dying to get..

Originally Posted by deansimpson
Nice job!
Man, I can't believe you waited so long to replace it.
Yours was really bad!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tnycman

Attachment 122082

Before replacement

Attachment 122090
Attachment 122088
Attachment 122092

My tools

Attachment 122094

Attachment 122095

Attachment 122096
Attachment 122097

Attachment 122098
Attachment 122099

Nicely done, I pretty much have the same procedure but just different photo. Thanks for posting your procedure of removing the rear trims, now I guess I'll try to do a front rubber trim removal instruction this week sometime.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:33 AM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks man!! I'm surprised that my front rubber is still in pretty good shape looking at how deteriorated the back was..

Originally Posted by Cwest
Nicely done, I pretty much have the same procedure but just different photo. Thanks for posting your procedure of removing the rear trims, now I guess I'll try to do a front rubber trim removal instruction this week sometime.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

Great DIY'er guys! Has anyone done the front replacement? Is it basically the same? Thanks, Brad
Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Grab an edge and pull up that's what I did when I replaced the front. I was lazy and didn't clean the old glue and it still stuck fine.

If I had known there was this much interest in a DIY with pics, I would gave made one months ago, lol.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
Great DIY'er guys! Has anyone done the front replacement? Is it basically the same? Thanks, Brad
I'll be doing my sometime this week, so keep an eye out for photos and instructions.

Quick Reply: Rear glass rubber wearing out