E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rear Fog lights? (first post)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='216149' date='Dec 27 2005, 11:09 PM
Rear fog lights? I never knew such a thing existed....what does a rear fog light look like?
It looks a little like one bright tail light that's on all the time (when on). A quick google search gave me this image of a VW with the rear for light (sorry no E60 that I could find -- yet).

http://www.avalonsystems.net/img/albums/to...ts/IMG_1377.jpg

So I guess the answer is that it's not yet standard and I'll need to explore this myself when I get my E60

okay... just had to add this link to the fog light install on an E39. I didn't feel right about the VW image post.
http://jadeturtle.com/bmw/
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Contributors

They are absolutely essential in winter conditions when there is light "powder" snow on the road. Your car is followed by a cloud of snow and you get easily rear-ended unless you use the rear fog lights which make you more visible. Saves lives every winter!
Old 12-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='216129
Mercedes rear foglights look like crap because only one side has the bulb
That's true of most, other than my Land Rover (dual) and I think the Mini (bottom center like some peugeot's). But the issue isn't `looks' as much as safety. It's amazing how much it helps people see you in the rain, snow, and heavy fog. I really wish it was a DOT requirement in the US.
[/quote]

does the usa have peugeots
Old 12-28-2005, 01:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: various
Model Year: F10 2015 M Sport 530d

dont think so
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='216207' date='Dec 28 2005, 04:39 AM
does the usa have peugeots
We used to.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='216161
The single rear fog light is by design -- it helps to distinguish it from the regular tail lights or brake lights. M-B is doing it right, Audi, Jaguar, and others are not executing things safely as they should be...
I remembered Audis only having one rear foglight, not two. I've seen a couple of A6s with them. My friend's Porsche also only has one.
[/quote]
Yeah, I think you're right about Audi. I was trying to remember if Audi had them on either side of the license plate or just one side. In my head, I pictured it on both sides.

edit: I think this is what I was thinking -- maybe they used to do it this way?...

Rear Fog lights? (first post)-03.a6avant30.rear34_500.jpg

Rear Fog lights? (first post)-a6rear_01.jpg
Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I've seen them on the A6 sedan like the picture you posted above but I recall only seeing the one on the left being on, not both.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i Jet Black (Base + PDC)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='216087' date='Dec 27 2005, 07:07 PM
I think US E60 cars use the rear fog light bulb as a part of the adaptive brake lights.

My biggest complaint about any US car with rear fog lights is with regard to our clueless driving public. Having to follow someone that has the rear fogs on for no reason (when it's not foggy) is actually worse than being blinded by someone's headlights (or other forward-facing lights ) since you're subjected to these things constantly.

I would be great to have rear fogs on our cars but they'd have to make the switch something that's hard to activate and they'd have to have some annoying warning light come on the dash the entire time they're on so the average US driver doesn't drive around with them on because the "look cool."

(Okay, maybe this is my "foglights"...)

Audi drivers seem to turn them on more than other makes. I see some M-B people with them on from time-to-time but clearly Audi wins the award for most annoying clueless owners

I think the reason for more clueless Audi owners is due to the design of the switch. In MB, you pull one click to turn on the front fog lights, another click to turn on the rears. In Audi, they are 2 separate buttons. If the rear one is pushed, then both f and r will come on.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

You should find the rear foglights on all European manufacured cars.

The old EU law only allowed one rear foglight.

On my E60 the rear fogs are the small round lights that normally burns
as part of the rear light system and it functions on both sides.

The switches are above and around the running light switch - on the left is
the front foglight and on the right side is the rear foglight buttom.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Some American mfrs have put rear fogs on the higher end cars (2 lights). The MB and Audi use the one light mode. My A4 has the one. In either case US drivers appear not to know what they have and my experience, like Rudy's, is one of total frustration with these dummies. Just last night, comming back from the Orlando Airport, traffic was thick and I got behind a MB with its fog on. I was stuck and tried flashing him but to no avail. I finally found a spot to get around (was not driving 6er so it took awhile) and got by him. Need to be like rear window heater, if your not in fog turn it OFF.

Quick Reply: Rear Fog lights? (first post)