E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end whine when braking slowly

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When coming to a slow stop in city driving, I'm getting a whine in the rear of my 2006 530xiT after I apply the brakes and just before the car comes to a full stop. It sounds as if it could pneumatic or something which balances pressure. Is this normal?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, Mystic Blue, Premium Package, Beige Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Navigation, Heated Seats, Premium Sound Pkg, Satellite Radio. 2001 325Cic Convertible, Premium and Sport Package, Premium Sound, Steptronic, Heated seats

I've got the same. 25,000 miles, and original brakes. Sounds like a whine from a kid or cat. Very disconcerting and annoying. 2 trips to my dealer, but they cannot find it. They checked sensor and brakes and they look fine. Sounds like it is in the rear on the right side.

Please - someone help!
Old 10-31-2007, 01:02 AM
Members

My Ride: AmethystGrau '03 530i

I got this checked by the dealer and they said that it was normal.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Titanium Silver M-Tech Sport, nav, HUD, comfort seats, comfort access, HD radio, Sat radio, folding mirrors

Originally Posted by 530_nz' post='488165' date='Oct 31 2007, 04:02 AM
I got this checked by the dealer and they said that it was normal.
A couple of weeks ago I took my 530i into the dealer for rear pad replacements as advised by iDrive. When I picked it up, I noticed the whine or squeal as opposed to a squeak. This sound did not occur prior to me taking it in to the dealer for the pad replacements and occurred only on braking while moving slowly. They had my car for two additional days and I'm not sure they ever found the cause but they did recognize it as a problem. However, they replaced all four brake pads and the rear rotors and the sound has not reappeared.

I'm not sure this helps you but good luck!

Robert
Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Banned

Oh my let me telll you I have struggled with awful brake noise since virtually the 3rd week I had my car. Took it in twice within first 6k miles because of whining and squeaking from brakes that was reproduced both times yet neither time fixed. Once they replaced rear pads and sensors-helped for like a week. Second time just the sensors-On my way home terrible again. I moved and just dealth with it for the past 6 months and finallly it got to the point it literally squeeled so loud it was unbearable.

I took it in to a 3rd dealer here in ohio and they first could nto reproduce-and I was like nooo way you are keeping my car until you hear the sound-so they did and heard it finally after a day. They replaced front and rear pads and sensors-every since my brakes have been AMAZING. Not a peep and I love it. Plus they feel like new and brake substantially better.

I want to recomend what I had read on this forum especially if you do get new brakes or even as something to try to fix your problem. I tried this and it would alleviate the problem tempoarily but ultimatly didnt work to cure my problem.

That is the so called "break in" procedure with any new pads you get but also can help current p roblems. The regimen is loosely the following-

Basically you do 6 or so runs to 60-80 miles per hour and then slam the brakes quite hard, but not hard enough to initiate abs-and come to virtually a stop-10 mph will do. Then immediately go back up to 60-80 and repeat the process 6 times in a row. Its important it is in a row.

Second make sure you have warmed your brakes up before doing it-do some light braking on/off for 10 minutes or so before you do the runs.

Third and important is make sure you do it in an area that after the last brake from 60mph-you continue driving WITHOUT using brakes at all for a good 10-15 minutes-such as freeway driving etc to cool things off and let things set properly.

The idea is you lay down a decent layer of brake dust somewhat embedded into the disk and create and smooth optimal surface for your pad to touch when braking-without having any debree or little bumps on the disk. This creates a layer between the metal that prevents any squeeking.

I did this with my new set after I got them right from the start which I had never done before-and since then brakes have just been perfect-and even function better than they ever did IMO-I believe this optimizes brake performance as well as allowing no squeeking down the line

Only thing I noticed is after I powerwash my wheels/tires-and spray into there I actually got some very mild squeek even with my new brakes so I repeated the process. So I believe you can repeat every so often if you have any problems come back. It basically clears any debree tha tmay be on the disk causing the squeeks or flat out whines.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by xiTouring' post='487622' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:16 PM
When coming to a slow stop in city driving, I'm getting a whine in the rear of my 2006 530xiT after I apply the brakes and just before the car comes to a full stop. It sounds as if it could pneumatic or something which balances pressure. Is this normal?
I'm not sure what could be causing this but if you think it's something pneumatic, I'm wondering if it might have something to do with the self-leveling suspension or the air springs that I'm pretty sure the Touring models have.

Sorry I can't offer more information -- I'm not too familiar with the Touring or it's extra features...