E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

REALLY!! BMW TUCSON!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, I dropped my 2008 528i off on the 18th for them to check out the ticking/knocking sound in my N52 engine, as you all know there is the problem with the Hydraulic valve lifter in many of the engines...

Well, I just got a call back from them and they said there was a bolt that was on the underpan of the vehicle that was causing the ticking/knocking sound!! are you freaking serious!! I have numerous videos on my iPhone that show the ticking sound, and it is obviously coming directly from the engine.

The service guy even told me that the ticking will probably happen again, but all I should do is take it out on the freeway and it will get the air out of the lifters. Which I already knew that from reading the past Service Bulletin about this problem, and I've even done that, and it still comes back time and time again.

Tucson is already a 1 hour drive away for me, I really don't want to have to drive 3 hours up to Phoenix to have them check it out.

He also said that the service tech hooked up a machine and it told him that all the lifters were in good condition, can you actually tell that an internal engine component is in good working condition without a visual inspection? I know BMW obviously has a lot of high tech tools they use to check diagnostics, so, I'm not sure, maybe they can check them just by hooking something up to the diag port.

here are a couple videos I posted on youtube of the ticking...

What do you guys think about this?

p.s. I have read reviews about BMW Tucson, and none were stellar, to the say the least. However, it is the closest dealership to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Contributors

I think you should send the link to your youtube vids to BMWNA ... that engine noise cannot be "normal" ?!?!?! If it doesn't quiet down on a one hour drive to the dealer it's NEVER going to quiet down.

It sounds like the SA needs to get the air our of his/her lifters That's about the dumbest explanation I've ever heard. Did they think about comparing it to another 528 of the same year / mileage?? I'll bet a side-by-side would be all that's necessary to have them admit this "ain't right"! If that doesn't get them moving on a fix I suggest you tell them (nicely) to schedule an examination with a BMWNA Rep ASAP. Don't wait until your warranty expires.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:19 PM
Members

thanks man! i'm glad someone else sees that their explanation is just ridiculous as can be!

How do I contact BMWNA and send them videos and such?

I am about to make the one hour drive up to Tucson to pick the car up now. I am not looking forward to it, because I am quite frustrated right now. I think i'm gonna wreck their 335d that they gave me as a loaner, haha JK! i'm not that frustrated.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 PM
Members

well, I just sent an e-mail from the contact us on BMWUSA.com. I am also going to call them as I am driving back up to Tucson.

Was it correct to send an email from the contact us page on BMWUSA.com? or is there another website for questions like this?
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CMS062407
well, I just sent an e-mail from the contact us on BMWUSA.com. I am also going to call them as I am driving back up to Tucson.

Was it correct to send an email from the contact us page on BMWUSA.com? or is there another website for questions like this?
That should work - but your dealer service manager should be able to coordinate that for you too. As difficult as it can be try not to be let your frustration get the best of you! There's a customer service number in your owner's manual too - or this one : 800-831-1117.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how many miles are on your car?

when did this start?
Old 02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Members

Just got off the phone with BMWNA. They are calling the dealership now to schedule an appt with a regional rep.

Man, I hope this doesn't cause stress between myself and BMW Tucson.

The car has 23k miles and I first heard it a week after I bought the car in October 2010. It had 20k miles at that time.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by CMS062407
Just got off the phone with BMWNA. They are calling the dealership now to schedule an appt with a regional rep.

Man, I hope this doesn't cause stress between myself and BMW Tucson.

The car has 23k miles and I first heard it a week after I bought the car in October 2010. It had 20k miles at that time.
Only if you allow it to stress it out. My advice ... stay calm and let BMWNA work the dealer. I'm very confident that your engine noise (at least as captured by your vids) is not "normal". Some dealers' employees need to practice their customer-relations skills.

That said, we can all relate times when we've encountered unreasonable people --- BUT I don't think you sound like you are one of those!

Don't let the circumstances turn you into one of these

Make nice ....
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Members

well....I got to the dealership and my service guy immediately asked me if I wanted to keep it overnight again so his foreman (I guess that is the lead mechanic) could take a look at it, first thing in the morning. I asked him if they were going to send out a BMW rep to take a look at it, and he said that the regional rep is coming sometime in the 1st couple weeks of March. Of course we had some small talk in between, I told him I have been working on vehicles for quite a few years and that I could guarantee him that sound is not from a bolt on the underpan. I said everything in a nice manner, not trying to tick the guy off, as I was afraid next time I brought my car in for service they would mess with it on purpose or something, not that they would do that, but you never know.

So, I drove my car home and I am going to schedule an appt. in early March with the regional rep can take a look at it. I asked him if they could actually physically take a look at the HVA's and not just test them with some computer stuff. He said that shouldn't be a problem, we will see about that.

Anyhow, I am off to Rhode Island next week for a business trip, so hopefully the week after I can get my car to the regional rep. I pray he knows what he is doing and says "wtf guys, you didn't fix this before?"

haha I also left my darn garage door opener AND mailbox key in the loaner car!!! I could have swore i grabbed them. So, now I have to make the hour drive back up to Tucson and pick them up tomorrow. So fail on my part.

one last note, they gave me a 2011 335d (horrible blue water color) as a loaner, and the car is quite fun with 425tq and it was my first time to ever drive or even be inside a 3 series BMW. Might I say, the 5 series is SOOOO much better than a 3 series. I got back in my 5 and immediately felt the difference in comfort...the ride is about 1000x better than the 3, so much smoother, almost ridiculous how much smoother it is, the seats in the 5's are also 1000x better than the 3 (although I did enjoy the lumbar support in the 3, I wish my car had that as well)...and also the little things, like the volume button on the steering wheel is much better quality and easier to push, the air vents are better quality/easier to move, the radio knobs, etc.... sometimes it's the little things that matter, right? But that is just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i dont know why, but most diesel 3 series are just not optioned out well it seems, and come in the odder colors.

keep us updated.

Quick Reply: REALLY!! BMW TUCSON!