E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it really asking too much?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i: Mystic Blue, Auburn Dakota leather Premium and Winter Package, Xenons

I think Ive got the Answer...K-I-S-S..you guys ever heard the term? Its Keep It Simple Stupid...I think the germans have gone for a clean slick look that they will keep for years...They are consistance and simple with there design...and I think they wanted to establish themselves unique from all the other designs out there...an example such as the cluster and panel lights...for as long as ive known...BMW = orange...its a known fact...although other cars...its a not known...so i guess all bmw cars are known for simple gauges that consist of Gas,Temp, and the one and only MPG gauge...if we had it all it wouldnt be a BMW would it?
Old 06-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Members

Though I agree that a temp gauge would seem more useful than a MPG gauge, I recently received a phone call from the BMW dealership letting me know that my car called them and requested that I bring it in for service. Everything seems to be working fine, so I told them it can wait. I guess my point is that maybe this car is too sophisticated for a temp gauge. If it is starts getting warm it may call someone and complain.
Old 06-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Same thing happened to me. Although, I was the one that sent the service request. It's under one of the menus. I was like, "what does this button do?" It sends a service request to your dealer. The car wasn't smart at all. Again, it's a button you push on one of the iDrive menus.

Originally Posted by redondoman' date='Jun 18 2005, 09:56 PM
Though I agree that a temp gauge would seem more useful than a MPG gauge, I recently received a phone call from the BMW dealership letting me know that my car called them and requested that I bring it in for service.? Everything seems to be working fine, so I told them it can wait.? I guess my point is that maybe this car is too sophisticated for a temp gauge.? If it is starts getting warm it may call someone and complain.
[snapback]140818[/snapback]
Old 06-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Yup, we need more useful features like a voltmeter and fewer features like a stupid menu option that calls the dealership for you. Talk about the epitome of laziness.
Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by 555' date='Jun 19 2005, 01:23 AM
Same thing happened to me.? Although, I was the one that sent the service request.? It's under one of the menus.? I was like, "what does this button do?"? It sends a service request to your dealer.? The car wasn't smart at all.? Again, it's a button you push on one of the iDrive menus.
[snapback]140829[/snapback]
But the car will initiate a service call if it feels it needs one...

Usually, it'll send a service request 30 days prior to something coming due. My state inspection expiry schedule is the end of March and on March 1st, the car made a call all by itself and my dealer called me to schedule an appointment.

If the car begins to overheat and it decided to call someone, it would be nice if it would call ME!
Old 06-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Jun 18 2005, 11:43 PM
Yup, we need more useful features like a voltmeter and fewer features like a stupid menu option that calls the dealership for you. Talk about the epitome of laziness.
[snapback]140834[/snapback]

Although it would be great if when I'm going over 100mph and my freaking windshield starts whistling because of some seal leak, that the computer notify my dealer that there is a malfunction - 'cause legally they cannot replicate my problem!
Old 06-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Jun 17 2005, 04:35 PM
Gosh, I just don't care. I have always cared before but I just don't anymore. Maybe it is the warranty thing....
[snapback]140575[/snapback]
Agree. But wouldn't mine some vital stats in I-drive. The new 530s now show oil level in I-drive. (virtual dipstick) They should just epound on that.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i (Silver-Gray, Gray Lthr., Anthracite Maple) with Steptronic, Prem. Pkg., Logic 7, Xenons & Chrome factory wheels.

Totally agree.... replace the useless mpg gauge with a temperature gauge!

Martin