E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Wood or fake wood??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a difinitive answer on the wood trim in the e60? I have been told different things by different people at BMW Dealerships, but always noting "I think" or "I'm pretty sure"... So is the stock e60 trim real wood or fake wood under all that plastic coating???
Old 04-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kompressorsf' post='264196' date='Apr 3 2006, 10:09 PM
Does anyone have a difinitive answer on the wood trim in the e60? I have been told different things by different people at BMW Dealerships, but always noting "I think" or "I'm pretty sure"... So is the stock e60 trim real wood or fake wood under all that plastic coating???
Mines real - but cleverly made to look like plastic

It's a 'realwood' veneer as opposed to a photographic laminate
Old 04-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Senior Members

I've heard that the wood is real, but it's basically a paper thin sheet of wood that is stuck onto the plastic mounting piece and then coated in clear plastic. So basically it's Real-Fake Wood Trim.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='264206' date='Apr 3 2006, 04:40 PM
I've heard that the wood is real, but it's basically a paper thin sheet of wood that is stuck onto the plastic mounting piece and then coated in clear plastic. So basically it's Real-Fake Wood Trim.
That is correct.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

Crazy how expensive piano black trim is to order....what can go into making that as opposed to the wood looking trims...
Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

This is the one main taste fault I have always questioned BMW about. Usually, understatement is their mode, but that shinyl-vinyl "wood" (real, exotic veneer, even worse) is grotesque. First, it's just inappropriate for such a techy car, but second it is so plasticised as to be beyond laughable.

If you've ever had or ridden in an old 50s Jag Mark saloon, with the two leather club chairs upfront, you know what I mean. That flip down dashboard Literally, was a plank of oiled burled walnut (veneer probably), as only the Brits can do. I would love to see this exotic stuff in its original state or oiled; it's probabaly very attractive (minus the pickling for the dead driftwood gray). But I still think it's about 5 decades too late. Surely Bangle can find another touch to "warm" the austere German interiors.

Cheers,
Ray Hull
Old 04-03-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='264252' date='Apr 3 2006, 07:42 PM
If you've ever had or ridden in an old 50s Jag Mark saloon, with the two leather club chairs upfront, you know what I mean. That flip down dashboard Literally, was a plank of oiled burled walnut (veneer probably), as only the Brits can do.
My E12 530i was the same way. But sans Lucas, prince of darkness.
Old 04-03-2006, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

I agree that real wood trim would be awesome. But then you would have to take care of the wood trim along with everything else, and for us enthusiast that may not be a big deal, but no average consumer would want to do that. It's easier for BMW to mass produce plastic pieces which people do not need to take care of. And BMW knows that their true enthusiast will settle for not having real wood because we're going to buy the car due to it's performance anyway. Now, whether we should be alright with settling, I don't know, that's up to you I guess. Maybe BMW should make real wood trim an option for the true enthusiasts? Personally, the issue doesn't bother me, I've always been a fan of the aluminum trim. Although with my 530i I'm going to paint the trim Silver Grey Metallic to match the body color, which I think will look amazing.
Old 04-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

Imagine the extra creaking from real wood on top of the standard creaking It'd be like driving the Jolly Roger
Old 04-04-2006, 04:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

to fit wood in a car is really expensive...im not just talking about the actual price of the wood...
wood creaks...in order to cure that..it must under go a treatment, also humidity effects wood alot, so does heat and sunlight makes the color go...so all those things must be attended to, and i think most of these are best done by hand to machine that is why the cost of wood is very expensive...also conserderation of how the wood would react in an accedient, and how to make sure its safe and doesnt shatter..
but i do "think" that the e60 has really wood perhaps its just a thin layer of wood but non the less wood...

Quick Reply: Real Wood or fake wood??