E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RDS Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 05:23 PM
Senior Members

I had my car in for service today and was surprised that they did a software upgrade (it really wasn't necessary for the requested work). Anyway, I'm presuming that I've now got 19.?. I finally have RDS in my nav-equipped car and have a question or two.

First, is RDS either on or off? It appears that when I check or uncheck the RDS box in one FM mode (All Stations, for example) it is then checked or unchecked in all the other modes (Presets and Manual). Is that correct?

Also, I noticed that in the FM Presets mode, I get no RDS on the screen regardless of whether the RDS box is checked. Does that sound correct?

Maybe I just haven't played with it enough.

A couple of other things I noticed about the new software. My HUD is quite a bit dimmer than before and I do notice a slightly lighter feel to the Active Steering. Neither is an "upgrade" for me.
Old 12-13-2005 | 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='210901' date='Dec 13 2005, 09:23 PM
I had my car in for service today and was surprised that they did a software upgrade (it really wasn't necessary for the requested work). Anyway, I'm presuming that I've now got 19.?. I finally have RDS in my nav-equipped car and have a question or two.

You'll need to check with your dealer. I imagine you got either 19.01.01 or 19.02.03, but ...????

First, is RDS either on or off? It appears that when I check or uncheck the RDS box in one FM mode (All Stations, for example) it is then checked or unchecked in all the other modes (Presets and Manual). Is that correct?

Don't know.

Also, I noticed that in the FM Presets mode, I get no RDS on the screen regardless of whether the RDS box is checked. Does that sound correct?

The RDS info should scroll by toward the bottom left corner of the screen when using your presets.

Probably me too. Mine works so I have not messed with it.

A couple of other things I noticed about the new software. My HUD is quite a bit dimmer than before and I do notice a slightly lighter feel to the Active Steering. Neither is an "upgrade" for me.

If you have a Steptronic, then you might notice slightly crisper shifting. And, if you got 19.02.03, then you might notice that BT doesn't work properly any more.
Old 12-13-2005 | 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

Plyed with the RDS on my trip - and yes it is either on or off for all of the stations and settings (manual/preset/station)

The RDS is almost worthless the way BMW uses it. In my old oldsmobile you could turn on the rds - and the select search for a specific type of station suck as rock/classical/talk or what ever and it would only stop at those stations

In NY where there are 3,000,000 radio stations I still had to listen to each one to find the station I wanted
If BMW is listening then they should change this so you can scan just the type of station you want - in the oldsmobile it was referred to as p-type with the RDS
Old 12-13-2005 | 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='210901' date='Dec 13 2005, 08:23 PM

Yes this is same as mine.

I am having some issues with RDS too. Works for some stations, doesn't work for others - even though I know signal strength is not an issue. For the stations that RDS works, the default i-drive display screen will cycle between the station name, frequency, artist, song title (doesn't scroll) at the lower left side of the screen.

I felt the same with AS. Don't know if mine is due to the new winter tires or the CIP upgrade. The transmission slam is gone though!!
Old 12-13-2005 | 07:42 PM
Members

Had recent upgrade to 19.somethin'. My HUD is dimmer as well, but you can adjust it in the i-drive settings.

Seems my active steering changes everytime they "upgrade" the software. Agree, it feels lighter and looser now.