E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

RDS Doesn't stay selected???

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i delivery end of Feb. 2006 Jet Black| Black Interior| Sports Package| Manual | Cold Weather| Comfort Access| Sun Shades| Premium Sound Package | Sat. Radio| M Aero Kit | Rear Spoiler

Is this happening to anyone else? If I choose RDS, it will stay selected for a few days and then it will deselect the option on it's own. So every few times I start my car I have to check off RDS again. It's very annoying.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Toni' post='290930' date='Jun 1 2006, 07:51 AM
Is this happening to anyone else? If I choose RDS, it will stay selected for a few days and then it will deselect the option on it's own. So every few times I start my car I have to check off RDS again. It's very annoying.
I had that problem with my 04 530, and it was annoying......sometimes the RDS would stay on for days, and other times it went away as soon as I turned the ignition off. My 07 doesn't seem to have that problem. RDS seems to be working fine, and all the time......software??
Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Happening to me as well.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545 Sport, Euro delivery, 6 spd, comfort seats, sun shades, PDC, CWP, CPT900, red reflectors, CDV removed, blk/blk

Originally Posted by Toni' post='290930' date='Jun 1 2006, 08:51 AM

I've had this problem for some time now (since deliver of my 12/03 production car; it has had a couple early software upgrades, but none in the last year) and have recently asked my dealeship to look at it while they were addressing other issues.

First, my dealership told me you couldn't set RDS on or off, that there was no user option to turn it on and off. Once I overcame that hurdle (had to walk them through it over the phone), then they told me it's because I am driving outside the rangge of the radio station signal and that's why the RDS turns off. Needless to day they missed the boat again...it happens while driving around town, not out of town (which I told them), and even if that were the case, every station wouldn't lose its RDS signal at once.

Fotunate for me, my dealership has still not figured out a couple other lingering items so I get to drop my car off for a third time next week, and perhaps the third time will be the charm. I will post the solution, should they come up with one.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

I've had the same problem since the car was new. Dealer can't come up with a solution and I haven't pressed them on it since its not that big a deal. Just annoying every once in a while.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Titanium Silver M-Tech Sport, nav, HUD, comfort seats, comfort access, HD radio, Sat radio, folding mirrors

Originally Posted by Wilchwitz' post='291496' date='Jun 2 2006, 08:04 AM
I've had the same problem since the car was new. Dealer can't come up with a solution and I haven't pressed them on it since its not that big a deal. Just annoying every once in a while.
I have had my '04 530 at the service center twice already for this issue and it's still exhibiting this problem. The first time they recoded the keys. The last time (a couple of weeks ago) they replaced the entire radio and, by now, I'm sure my SA is out of ideas.
Old 06-02-2006, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by Mudguppie' post='291506' date='Jun 2 2006, 06:20 AM
I have had my '04 530 at the service center twice already for this issue and it's still exhibiting this problem. The first time they recoded the keys. The last time (a couple of weeks ago) they replaced the entire radio and, by now, I'm sure my SA is out of ideas.
I think there's something with those early build 04s that is the problem, because I went through the exact same thing. I finally gave up because there aren't enough stations here utilizing it to make having my car in the shop that often worthwhile.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:57 AM
MDT
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Premium Package, Steptronic trans, xenon adaptive headlights, sat. prep, no navigation, bluetooth, ipod adapter

I also have this same problem. I have an 03/04 build and I thought it might be fixed by a software upgrade. The dealer upgraded the software recently for a number of problems, one of which was the RDS unselecting itself. The dealer didn't tell me the exact software version, but he thought it was 20.02. It did not fix the problem with the RDS, but it did give me bluetooth and make the lawyer screen go away automatically, so I was happy. It hasn't been that big of deal to reselect the RDS when it happens.

I do notice that it seems to happen when I turn the radio on and off a few times while listening to it while parked with the ignition off. Sometimes in the morning I'll finish my cup of coffee while listening to the radio before going into work. I turn the radio off and on while I make some phone calls, and that is when I notice that the RDS has turned itself off.

The car is going in for an oil change next week, so I'll mention it again and see if they have any other fix.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

There are several issues with RDS. THis is one:

SI B 65 16 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors September 2005
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin replaces SM B65 221 04 dated May 2005.

SUBJECT
RDS Function Causes Confusing Station Names when in "All stations" Screen

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E90 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

SITUATION
With RDS (Radio Data System) set to "Active" some of the displayed station tags will show part of the song title or artist name instead of the station name. For example: instead of "Rock98" the display shows "Thomas".

CAUSE
RDS was set "Active" at the factory instead of "Inactive".

PROCEDURE
With the introduction of CIP 12, RDS was coded off and could not be turned on again.

With the release of CIP 19.1, after the vehicle software is updated, RDS is now coded on as default.

If the customer does not wish to see these confusing RDS tags, then turn RDS off.

-----------------

This is another

SI B65 26 05
Sound System, Cruise, Alarms, Monitors March 2006
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B65 26 05 dated January 2006.

(New) designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Audio Switches off Briefly when Listening to FM Stations

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

E63, E64 (6 Series)

E90, E91 (3 Series) with SA 609 CCC-Navigation

SITUATION
The customer states that after setting a radio station preset with RDS (Radio Data System) active, and then deactivating RDS, the audio mutes briefly while the customer is driving. CCC-ANT FC "DACA watchdog reset" is stored.

CAUSE

CCC (Car Communication Computer) software error. The problem only occurred after the vehicles software was updated using CIP V19.1, V19.2 or V20.x.

(New) CCC-ANT hardware defective.

PROCEDURE
On a customer complaint basis only:

Using DIS V45 or later, follow the test plan of the GT1 for CCC-ANT FC "DACA watchdog reset". The test plan could have either of the following results:

The test plan result prompts you to program the CCC complete, refer to the following procedure: Update the complete vehicle per SI B09 05 01 (Coding, Individualization, Programming) Procedure B using Progman V21.00.00 (Target Data Status E060-06-03-510, E89x-06-03-510) or higher. After the vehicle software has been updated, turn vehicle off and let vehicle enter sleep mode.

The test plan result prompts you to clear the faults and reset the CCC (press rotary knob along with both drive eject buttons simultaneously). Turn vehicle off and let vehicle enter sleep mode. Retest system and if FC DACA occurs again and only with a customer complaint, submit a PuMA case to the Electrical Group Hotline.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Defect Code Refer to KSD

Labor Operation: Refer to KSD

Labor Allowance: Refer to KSD
Old 06-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530xi

Originally Posted by kmslo530i' post='291528' date='Jun 2 2006, 07:45 AM
I think there's something with those early build 04s that is the problem, because I went through the exact same thing.
Happening to me on my Jan. 2006 build date E60, so definitely not restricted by build dates.