E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Raving the engine – What The Hell?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Arrow

I heard a little weird noise this morning from the engine belt while warming the car so I raved the engine couple of time to around 3500 ? 4000 RPM while my door was open and the interior lights are on.
I noticed that when I raved the engine the lights were cutting in and out like losing power especially when the RPM is over 2500. Is this normal because of the load that I?m adding when the raving the engine?
Or I have a problem with the alternator?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributors

First off, I wouldn't rev the engine while its cold, ever. Second, it could be because of cold temperatures that your lights jumped or went down since the battery might have been subzero temps and the alternator throwing juice at it when you revved up. Cold weather does strange things to all whether its bio, electric, or mechanical.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='764443' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:46 PM
First off, I wouldn't rev the engine while its cold, ever. Second, it could be because of cold temperatures that your lights jumped or went down since the battery might have been subzero temps and the alternator throwing juice at it when you revved up. Cold weather does strange things to all whether its bio, electric, or mechanical.

funny, at my last service on my '05 545, my SA told me the ticking noise from my engine would be solved if I revved the engine exactly 5 times when I started the car. [moron]...next, I expected a clicking of the heals together, and some other crap, I was laughing, good things I have been inundated with surveys after the service, so I could let his boss know how skilled the SA is.

Lewis
Old 01-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.
Arrow

Thanks for your comment and I totally agree with your statement but when I raved the engine that car was somewhat warm the white dashs on the RPM dial were around the 5500 mark.
Also I went for a drive and came back to my garage which is insulated and the temperature never drops below 5 degrees C unless it is -40 C outside and raved the engine again. At that
time the car was fully warm since I drove it ~ 7 km before coming back home.

Originally Posted by Howitzer' post='764443' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:46 PM
Old 01-10-2009, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Arrow

Your SA is definitely a moron......

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='764448' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:53 PM
funny, at my last service on my '05 545, my SA told me the ticking noise from my engine would be solved if I revved the engine exactly 5 times when I started the car. [moron]...next, I expected a clicking of the heals together, and some other crap, I was laughing, good things I have been inundated with surveys after the service, so I could let his boss know how skilled the SA is.

Lewis
Old 01-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sonett43' post='764448' date='Jan 10 2009, 01:53 PM

Lewis

wow, just wow.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: AW E46 M3 Vert

its "rev" not "rav", i sometimes have this happen with mycar as well, havent been able to figre out why either.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

Exclamation

Okay, I hate to turn this conversation into an english Class but the word REVING does not exist in the english world, it is RAVING....

rav⋅ing   /ˈreɪvɪŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-ving] Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective 1. talking wildly; delirious; frenzied: a raving maniac.
2. Informal. extraordinary or remarkable: a raving beauty.
?adverb 3. furiously or wildly: a remark that made me raving mad.
?noun 4. Usually, ravings. a. irrational, incoherent talk: Putting him in a straitjacket did not stop his ravings.
b. wildly extravagant or outrageous talk; bombast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by e60_fanatic' post='764453' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:01 PM
its "rev" not "rav", i sometimes have this happen with mycar as well, havent been able to figre out why either.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Moopai' post='764462' date='Jan 10 2009, 02:15 PM
Okay, I hate to turn this conversation into an english Class but the word REVING does not exist in the english world, it is RAVING....

rav⋅ing   /ˈreɪvɪŋ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rey-ving] Show IPA Pronunciation

?adjective 1. talking wildly; delirious; frenzied: a raving maniac.
2. Informal. extraordinary or remarkable: a raving beauty.
?adverb 3. furiously or wildly: a remark that made me raving mad.
?noun 4. Usually, ravings. a. irrational, incoherent talk: Putting him in a straitjacket did not stop his ravings.
b. wildly extravagant or outrageous talk; bombast.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong sir! =-p

Rev comes from the word Revolution as in REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE or...... RPM. It is a slang term.

Raving means: "You're a raving lunatic" or "My mother cannot stop raving about French Canadians."

In closing, when referring to a car and it's engine, you say rev, not rav.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d M-Sport

I would guess maybe its a sticky hydraulic lifter, I have this problem occasionaly with my old E34 525i Sport........the ticking comes and goes occasionaly, more likely when engine cold.

Quick Reply: Raving the engine – What The Hell?