E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rattling noise from the rear axle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i 2004 Artic silver Alpine 2.150 + Earthquake SSW

Hi everybody.
I'm getting very annoyed and desesperate with a rattling noise that seems to come from the rear axle.
I drive a 530 2004. When I drive with the windows down and going through rough terrain, I can hear the rattling noise; if I apply the brakes (even a slight pressure on the pedal) the noise dissapears.

I explained that to the stealership, who kept the car for 3 full days and told me later that the noise was taken care of. He told me they checked everything:brakes, suspension, etc. and everything was fine.

You've probably guessed that as soon as I left the stealership garage, the noise was there as alive as always.

I've checked other topics on the forum and had some ideas. I'm going to check myself to see if there's the parking brake line loose or anything obviously loose in the brake pads areas.

Have any one of you had anything similar? Any ideas? suggestions?

Thanks
Old 12-14-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

This is just a random guess, and it's not probably that, but:

You should check the wheel bearing.
1) Lift the wheel up with a jack
2) Take a good grip around the tire and shake left and right (horizontally) --> if there is any backlash in the wheel, the bearing can be damaged.
3) To ensure, shake the wheel vertically too. If there still is backlash, it is probably the wheel bearing.
4) Ask your friend to push the brake pedal while you shake the wheel --> if the backlash disappears, it's the wheel bearing for sure.

You should not feel or see any backlash in the wheel when the wheel bearing is in good condition.

- Antti -
Old 12-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Since the rattle goes away when you brake I suspect it may be coming from the brake pads ... they could be loose in the caliper or the anti-rattle spring has come undone. Not a biggie but annoying for sure.

Your mechanic should remove and reinstall pads with proper high temp lube on the brake caliper / pad sliding points and verify that the damping parts are installed correctly. Also verify that the brake disc hold down screw is tightened.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin' post='1073392' date='Dec 14 2009, 11:58 AM
This is just a random guess, and it's not probably that, but:

You should check the wheel bearing.
1) Lift the wheel up with a jack
2) Take a good grip around the tire and shake left and right (horizontally) --> if there is any backlash in the wheel, the bearing can be damaged.
3) To ensure, shake the wheel vertically too. If there still is backlash, it is probably the wheel bearing.
4) Ask your friend to push the brake pedal while you shake the wheel --> if the backlash disappears, it's the wheel bearing for sure.

You should not feel or see any backlash in the wheel when the wheel bearing is in good condition.

- Antti -

Thanks Anzafin for your input. I did what you said, but it doesn't seem to be the bearing.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='1073403' date='Dec 14 2009, 12:19 PM
Since the rattle goes away when you brake I suspect it may be coming from the brake pads ... they could be loose in the caliper or the anti-rattle spring has come undone. Not a biggie but annoying for sure.

Your mechanic should remove and reinstall pads with proper high temp lube on the brake caliper / pad sliding points and verify that the damping parts are installed correctly. Also verify that the brake disc hold down screw is tightened.

Thanks luigi524td. That really helped me.
After the staler took 200 USD for checking the car the gave it back to me with the exact same noise, I decided to take things on my hand.

Thanks to the replies from the forum, I worked on the rear brakes. I found out that my car was using non OEM (cheap) brake pads; therefore they would not fit properly in the caliper. The pad on the left-hand wheel had some kind of sticky material to keep it in place; the pad on the right-hand wheel lost (or never had it) this sticky thing.

I changed the pads myself; I bought OEM parts and did the job (the information available in the forum was very helpful). THE NOISE DISSAPEARED!.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by omarvielma' post='1086435' date='Jan 8 2010, 09:04 AM
Thanks luigi524td. That really helped me.
After the staler took 200 USD for checking the car the gave it back to me with the exact same noise, I decided to take things on my hand.

Thanks to the replies from the forum, I worked on the rear brakes. I found out that my car was using non OEM (cheap) brake pads; therefore they would not fit properly in the caliper. The pad on the left-hand wheel had some kind of sticky material to keep it in place; the pad on the right-hand wheel lost (or never had it) this sticky thing.

I changed the pads myself; I bought OEM parts and did the job (the information available in the forum was very helpful). THE NOISE DISSAPEARED!.
That is a great thinkg to hear! Congrats!
Old 01-08-2010, 03:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

GOOD JOB

Congrats!

And the bastard stealerships!