E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Raod Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6sp,

On Friday I was traveling on a 2 lane highway I have traveled 100s of time before going ~ 70 mph to pass a slower car in front of me. Just as my right rear wheel crossed the center line I heard & felt a loud thump and immediately the FTM indicated a flat tire. I slowed slightly but could not feel any apparent problem and didn't want the car I had passed to run up on me, so I continued for a few miles to a gas station in the town I was approaching. As I pulled in I noticed signs of flat tire and pulled over to the air station. Got out and sure enough flat right rear tire. No apparent damage on outside sidewall or tread. 30 degrees outside so not looking forward to changing tire. Reached in to check the inside sidewall and felt tear. No option....break out jack and spare. Mind you, I just switched from Winter wheels and tires last weekend and summer tires have less than 10k miles on them. As I got the wheel off I was amazed to see a 3" diameter hole in the inside of the wheel! What ever went through the tire also went straight through the wheel and broke out a hole and then hit the opposite side of the inner wheel. Threw the tire in the trunk and went out to see if I could find what did the damage in case it was still on the road...don't want someone else to get hurt, killed or damage their car. after about 20 minutes of searching I found a bracket that hold the embedded reflectors in the centerline of the road next to a pot hole where a reflector USED to be. Needles to say I'm thankful no one was hurt and that I found the debris and cleared it , but what a night. Got home after midnight after the accident report with the Sheriff's Dept. Good lesson for my 12 year old son on safety of a BMW car, acting responsibly and least importantly how to change a flat. btw...this is the first flat I have had in 35 years of driving.

Anyone know where I can get a good replacement 18x9 style 124 wheel or a whole set of 19" (M5 stagerd set) of 166's in good shape?

Raod Gremlins-bmw-pics-015.jpgRaod Gremlins-bmw-pics-016.jpgRaod Gremlins-bmw-pics-013.jpg
Old 03-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW!!!! that's a huge hole. The runflats def did it's job this time. Glad to hear no one was hurt and you finding the cause so others in reg tires won't hit it and get themselves hurt
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 530i

Sorry to hear what happend to you! I got a puncture yesterday evening too :thumbsdown: just doing some calls right now to get some figures...
Old 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Wow ... whata mighty big hole you got there ... just glad to hear you made it safe ...
Old 03-28-2010, 06:11 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Glad you were able to pull over safely. And good job on teaching your son some of the responsibilities of safe and courteous driving
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport (6-speed)

Originally Posted by 530inOK
Glad you were able to pull over safely. And good job on teaching your son some of the responsibilities of safe and courteous driving
+1
Old 03-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Contributors

WOW - heck of a story! Too bad it was your wheel / tire that succumbed to the pot hole and reflector spike. Had it been some run of mill car it could have resulted in an out of control car and probably a wreck!

Are you filing a claim against the municipality where the road problem and incident occurred?

Might I also suggest you file a report with the NHTSA? Those reflectors should not be installed in such a way that road conditions (pothole) present a double hazard (wheel and tire killing spikes).

I have seen a lot of wheels posted for sale recently - search the site and you probably can get a quick replacement from a forum member!
Old 03-28-2010, 11:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2003 BMW 530i E39

Good to hear you're safe...

Why are there a lot of cases where 124 wheels crack?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Wow, its good that nothing terrible happened. Looks like you've got yourself a great reason to buy the 166s. If you're going to get the insurance to pay for the wheels anyway, I recommend you get new ones from one of the vendors on this forum (I use Garry Romani for OEM parts, but there are other alternatives).

Originally Posted by PH_5er
Why are there a lot of cases where 124 wheels crack?
What do you think, genius?
Old 03-29-2010, 06:34 AM
Members

Wow - that is indeed amazing.

Quick Reply: Raod Gremlins