E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:19 PM
SRV
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xe460' post='273111' date='Apr 23 2006, 04:27 PM
The speed dial does not seem to affect at all in either manual or auto mode. In auto mode, the wipers do change speed sometimes but very unexpectedly . In manual mode, the speed seems to be constant regardless speed dial setting. I like the traditional wiper click (of the e46) much better.
I am thinking about bying a 530i with a steptronic. Are you happy with yours? Is it fast enough for you? I have been reading a lot about the E60 and it appears the "experts" say they are slow. This wasn't my experiance when I frove it. I understand that BMW is comming out with a 535 this fall and possibly discontinuing the 530. Should I wait?

Thanks
Old 04-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Nothing to boast about!

Is there such a thing as speed dial?

I have only a interval dial. What it does it changes the sweep interval, i.e. how often it sweeps and not how fast. And it only works with the wiper stalk set at 1 click above the normal position, which is the intermittent position.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 750Li M sport

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='273008' date='Apr 23 2006, 10:40 AM
In my previous E39 and now in my E60 it seems like the rain sensor isnt senstive enough on timing and speed, even with the sensitivety all the way up. Does anyone else have this problem? I havent mentioned it to the dealer because both cars are the same, and im thinking its just the way it is.
My e60 rain sensor is better than my e39. Funny thing though now that I think about it. In my e60 I had the windshield replaced with a non OEM window and the rain sensor did not function as well as with the OEM windshield (neither did the HUD, but thats another story). I had the windshield replaced again with an OEM windshield due to the HUD problem and I noticed the rain sensor worked better again. Come to think about it, the rain sensor problem with my e39 may have been due to replacement with a non OEM window as it was the same glass company that did both. But to answer your question, my e60 rain sensor works well, maybe you should see if they have an adjustment. I will have to pay better attention, but in the e39 the rain sensor would not allow full speed operation of the wipers. I think the e60 allows full speed operation, but will have to verify this.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:35 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

Originally Posted by SRV' post='273169' date='Apr 23 2006, 06:19 PM
I am thinking about bying a 530i with a steptronic. Are you happy with yours? Is it fast enough for you? I have been reading a lot about the E60 and it appears the "experts" say they are slow. This wasn't my experiance when I frove it. I understand that BMW is comming out with a 535 this fall and possibly discontinuing the 530. Should I wait?

Thanks
I am very happy with mine, and love it more everyday . When I need more response, I usually switch it to SD mode. It's human nature to be desirable for new and more powerful cars. If you are undecided or don't need one right away, wait for the 535i to get latest technology gadgets from BMW. You can't be wrong either way.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic, black leather, w/ sports pkg, cold weather pkg, Logic7, steptronic, navigation, satellite radio, electric rear shade, folding rear seat, Razr/Cingular phone

The rain sensor feature on my E46 worked perfectly, whereas the sensor on my E60 seems to be less "accurate." By that I mean sometimes is wipes when there is nothing on the windshield, and other times it doesn't wipe when the rain is pouring. I never had these experiences with the E46. Maybe BMW switched suppliers for current models? If so, they should consider switching back!!
Old 04-24-2006, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by xe460' post='273111' date='Apr 23 2006, 10:27 PM
The speed dial does not seem to affect at all in either manual or auto mode. In auto mode, the wipers do change speed sometimes but very unexpectedly . In manual mode, the speed seems to be constant regardless speed dial setting. I like the traditional wiper click (of the e46) much better.
Speed dial doesn't do anything for manual operation - when you just get 2 speeds - on and fast.

However, on my car - it does make a definite difference to the sensitivity of the rain sensor.

I find I adjust it as the rain changes - much as I adjusted the variable intermittent function on my e46.

I think there is a software issue here as well - in that it operates better with the recent software.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:35 AM
jcp
Members

My Ride: 530i M Sport Touring LCI. Platinum Gray. Beige Dakota leather. Brushed Aluminium trim. Media package. Side blinds. Auto dim mirrors. Comfort seats. Storage compartment pack. Extended interior light package. HUD. DVD prep in rear. IPOD interface.

I also find that the different settings seem to have little effect, but in any given setting it is erratic, mostly not sensitive enough but then occasionally it goes oversensitive and wipes hysterically, sometimes even when the glass is completely dry.

I know you can get the dealer to alter the sensitivity, but it's the erratic bahaviour that bothers me more.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='273008' date='Apr 23 2006, 06:40 PM
In my previous E39 and now in my E60 it seems like the rain sensor isnt senstive enough on timing and speed, even with the sensitivety all the way up. Does anyone else have this problem? I havent mentioned it to the dealer because both cars are the same, and im thinking its just the way it is.
He he - can not test it out - only sunshine these days
Old 04-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i Built Nov 06 Silver Grey with Black Leather Steptronic Automatic Tranmission Premium Package Navigation System Sirius Satellite Red Reflectors :-)

Until now I have almost zero problems with the car, so I really hesitate about upgrading software to potentially fix such minor issue. Some people encountered problems after upgrading the software. So I will just live with this for now.