E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Static

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So i took my 5 to the dealer the other day for an oil change and some other things that were bothering me you know the usual squeaking doors and what not....so anyways besides the fact that they thought they had fixed the doors now the radio is crackling so i told the service tech that bmw issued some sort of statement about if you dont have logic 7 then your radio is basically a piece of shit....so he told me to find what ever info about this subject and bring it to him so he can confirm the truth of it i guess....but what i need to know is where do i get this info? was it an official bulletine or what? Also i threatened the lemon law if they dont fix that damn squeaking in the doors this is the third time ive had to take it to them for this so he told me a bmw tech is coming out in a week so i guess hes going to let him look atb i hope they fix it...but anyways where do i get the info?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Do you have window tint on your car?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

There have been tons of posts on here regarding radio static. Just do a search of the forum. And "no", it doesn't have anything to do with window tinting this time. I have lived with the same damn problem for a year now.

I have radio static bad on AM where every spoken work has static. And "no", this is not a reception thing.

I also have random static at louder volumes on CD. Almost like a popping sound or almost like blown speakers. This has happened to other people too.

My dealer is yet to be able to fix the darn thing. It's been in like 5 times.

Even check out info. from Roadly on this.

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e60/5139785-3.html

Again, do a search on this forum as well. Good luck. Pls. keep me posted as I am also faced with this issue.

Originally Posted by bmwin14rsm' date='Mar 17 2005, 01:27 PM
Do you have window tint on your car?
[snapback]102940[/snapback]
Old 03-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

What would radio tint have to do with this? I thought the antenna was in that little dome on the roof, along with the satelite antenna.

Either way, radio reception in this car stinks whether you have the basic sterio or the Logic 7 system. I am sure the radio receiver is basically the same.

I attributed the reception to the fact that there is no ugly external full length antenna, which is pretty much the only way you can get decent reception.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 555' date='Mar 17 2005, 12:33 PM
There have been tons of posts on here regarding radio static.? Just do a search of the forum.? And "no", it doesn't have anything to do with window tinting this time. I have lived with the same damn problem for a year now.?

I have radio static bad on AM where every spoken work has static.? And "no", this is not a reception thing.

I also have random static at louder volumes on CD.? Almost like a popping sound or almost like blown speakers.? This has happened to other people too.

My dealer is yet to be able to fix the darn thing.? It's been in like 5 times.

Again, do a search on this forum as well.? Good luck.? Pls. keep me posted as I am also faced with this issue.

[quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Mar 17 2005, 01:27 PM']Do you have window tint on your car?
[snapback]102942[/snapback]
[/quote]

555, I had that same problem, popping, volume swings, they said that the software update cured it. The problem started all of a sudden about the same time we were getting all the rain in SD. I have not had an issue since my 15.2 was installed, but it has not rained in awhile, but I am wondering if this had anything to do with it. I remember some problems when people getting the windows tinted, and having electrical problems in the doors, so I maybe thought that the same was happening with the rain.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

My dealer has said every software upgrade that has come out MAY fix it. It's their shot in the dark guess. Mine is still doing it though. I'll try yet another software upgrade. I think I have 13.2.

555, I had that same problem, popping, volume swings, they said that the software update cured it.? The problem started all of a sudden about the same time we were getting all the rain in SD.? I have not had an issue since my 15.2 was installed, but it has not rained in awhile, but I am wondering if this had anything to do with it.? I remember some problems when people getting the windows tinted, and having electrical problems in the doors, so I maybe thought that the same was happening with the rain.
[snapback]103087[/snapback]
Old 03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
Members

My Ride: Born Date 9, 1 2004. 2005 530i, silver gray, steptronic, nav, Adaptive xenon, premium pkg, cold weather pkg, premium sound pkg, Euro rear reflector. MP3 Enabled

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Mar 17 2005, 06:01 PM
What would radio tint have to do with this?? I thought the antenna was in that little dome on the roof, along with the satelite antenna.

Either way, radio reception in this car stinks whether you have the basic sterio or the Logic 7 system.? I am sure the radio receiver is basically the same.

I attributed the reception to the fact that there is no ugly external full length antenna, which is pretty much the only way you can get decent reception.
[snapback]103036[/snapback]
Actually BMW and most of cars nowdays have radio antenna in rear glass. With metal tint, some says, it will affect reception.. but never happened to me
Old 03-18-2005, 04:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Daveyboy

If your static is am only, there is a service bulletin out on the fix. It has something to do with regrounding . i had it done to my care about 4 -5 months ago and it fixed the problem.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Swavouli

Originally Posted by robg' date='Mar 18 2005, 08:10 AM
Daveyboy

If your static is am only, there is a service bulletin out on the fix.? It has something to do with regrounding .? i had it done to my care about 4 -5 months ago and it fixed the problem.
[snapback]103237[/snapback]

Daveyboy, can you point me to the service bulletin? i just bought a 2004 525i and i'm having the same problem.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 555' date='Mar 17 2005, 02:33 PM
There have been tons of posts on here regarding radio static.? Just do a search of the forum.? And "no", it doesn't have anything to do with window tinting this time. I have lived with the same damn problem for a year now.?

I have radio static bad on AM where every spoken work has static.? And "no", this is not a reception thing.

I also have random static at louder volumes on CD.? Almost like a popping sound or almost like blown speakers.? This has happened to other people too.

My dealer is yet to be able to fix the darn thing.? It's been in like 5 times.

Again, do a search on this forum as well.? Good luck.? Pls. keep me posted as I am also faced with this issue.

[quote name='bmwin14rsm' date='Mar 17 2005, 01:27 PM']Do you have window tint on your car?
[snapback]102942[/snapback]
[/quote]

I've still got the static in my radio. It's been in at least 4 times for this issue. Everytime - "Can't reproduce customer issue".
My static in my radio usually occurs when I first turn on the car, usually after the second start of the day, I guess once whatever is broken gets warm. I drive to work, no static. I drive to lunch, no static. I start the car after lunch - STATIC. I drive to get my haircut, no static. I get back in the car to drive home - STATIC. You get the point. It's in all sources and comes from all speakers and goes away in about 5 to 10 minutes. I usually just turn down the volume and check back in 5 and it's gone. Real annoying on a 52K car. It's a joke among my friends....If anyone knows of a fix, please let me know! They've already replaced the MASK unit once and that didn't fix it. I personally think it's the TCU that needs replacement, since when I first brought it in, that's what the dealer diagnosed the problem as and then decided to replace the MASK unit instead for some reason.....