E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Has anyone experienced their FM radio intermittingly cutting out for 3 - 5 seconds? I read an earlier thread on this and someone had posted a service bulletin on the subject, but that appeared to be related to the method with which the stations were programmed (specifically using the RDS function then subsequently disabling it and creating the cut out problem).

In any case, I dropped the beast off this morning at the dealer and handed him a copy of the bulletin. He looked at me like I have three eyes. The thing had cut out at least five times in the half hour I drove it this morning.

The car was built in October 05. Not sure what CIP its is running, but will find out this evening when I pick her up.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

I'm having the same problem, and it's with everything, FM, AM, CD, and AUX in. The dealer I took it to in MI is saying it's my fault cause I added subs, so now I have to wait 3 months until I'm back in WA to have my actual dealer fix it. I didn't have the problem before, only after they upgraded my CIP to version 20.02. So who knows.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heiss5' post='268586' date='Apr 13 2006, 12:52 PM
I'm having the same problem, and it's with everything, FM, AM, CD, and AUX in. The dealer I took it to in MI is saying it's my fault cause I added subs, so now I have to wait 3 months until I'm back in WA to have my actual dealer fix it. I didn't have the problem before, only after they upgraded my CIP to version 20.02. So who knows.

Hopefully they'll get mine fixed today. I'll let you know what they do.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:54 AM
Members

Sounds like a common problem from a certain /other/ german car manufacturer. My 2003 MB E500 radio (and many others like it) had fairly chronic software problems for the first few years of its life.

One (minor) reason why I'm considering turning my 03 E500 (with only 14,500 miles) in for either an 07 E550 or an 07 550i .
Old 04-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='268486' date='Apr 13 2006, 09:04 AM
Has anyone experienced their FM radio intermittingly cutting out for 3 - 5 seconds? I read an earlier thread on this and someone had posted a service bulletin on the subject, but that appeared to be related to the method with which the stations were programmed (specifically using the RDS function then subsequently disabling it and creating the cut out problem).

In any case, I dropped the beast off this morning at the dealer and handed him a copy of the bulletin. He looked at me like I have three eyes. The thing had cut out at least five times in the half hour I drove it this morning.

The car was built in October 05. Not sure what CIP its is running, but will find out this evening when I pick her up.
Old 04-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Members

Yes, I am experiencing the exact same problem.

It started after I had a software update.

If I change my settings to RDS, then this problem doesn't occur.

Hopefully, BMW will become aware of this issue after it
receives enough complaints.

My dealer here in MD. looked at me like I was crazy
when I mentioned that this was happening.

There seems to be lots of quirks with the software updates
on this car!
Old 04-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Has anyone experienced their FM radio intermittingly cutting out for 3 - 5 seconds?

No. I have never listened to radio... FM or AM.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530i-

I may have this problem as well. I thought it was the station I was listening to.
Old 04-14-2006, 05:18 AM
Senior Members

I picked her up last night. The service manager and shop foreman where there. They said it took about four hours to upgrade the TCU software, let the car go to sleep, then test everything. They said there were some error codes displaying when they first looked at the car in the morning and before they started the upgrade process. They did not upgrade CIP - they said I have version 22 in the car and that was not the problem. I drove it home last night and to work this morning and the problem seems to have been cured. No surprise that all my pre-sets were blown away. Interestingly, the address book in NAV had duplicates of all entries. I assume they backed it up before ugrading and re-loaded the address book.

If you have the problem, have the dealer refer to SI B65 26 05. There is apparently an updated version of this bulletin, but that should be a good starting point if they are clueless.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

Thanks a lot pa550, I'm going to try and take my car in next week to have this and all the other problems I'm having sorted out.

Quick Reply: Radio Problem