E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio Presets: How to change them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

OK, what am I doing wrong? I have just sat with the book and the idrive and the radio for 40 minutes and I cannot change the Station Presets. I have 89.1 as my #1, that sets OK, but when I go to set #2, 90.3, it overwrites #1. And whatever is in the #2 preset spot doesn't change...and the same right up the line.

The book is worse than the idrive. Maybe it isn't me, because I got the hang of the idrive almost instantly, but have only been able to Auto set stations, or manually fish for them. Thankfully these two favorites are almost right next to each other, but I cannot resgister #2 > .

Is it me?

Ray Hull
Old 11-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 March E60 530i, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather, Style 124 18" Alloy, Active Steering, Adaptive headlights, Auto-Dim Int+Folding Ext Mirrors, Auto Aircon Advanced, Brushed Aluminium Trim, CD Changer, Comfort Seats, De-Chrome, Dynamic Drive, Electric Glass Sun Roof, Graduate Tinted Windscreen, Heated Front Seats, Natvigation Professional, Sport Steering wheel, Sun Protection Glass, TV function

This happens to me too, but I'm not bother, because with the distance I have to travel, I can't usually listen to that specific radio station through out the whole journey anyway.

With the idrive screen, it is easy to switch between any available station. For me, the station memory function is not good to me.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:02 PM
IHC
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi -- silver grey

Go to "Manual" under the FM iDrive menu. Rotate the knob to select your station.
Press the knob, the preset menu should show up. Rotate the knob to select which preset # you want for that station. Press the knob again, a menu should pop up that says "store", press the knob.

If you wait after you press "store" for a couple of seconds, the manual FM scale should show up again, you can select a different frequency, and repeat the above to store in a different preset location.

It confused me at first too , so hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Members

Well said, IHC.

I would add that you can do the same from the "All Stations" screen under FM as well.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Originally Posted by IHC' post='200691' date='Nov 19 2005, 04:02 PM
Go to "Manual" under the FM iDrive menu. Rotate the knob to select your station.
Press the knob, the preset menu should show up. Rotate the knob to select which preset # you want for that station. Press the knob again, a menu should pop up that says "store", press the knob.

If you wait after you press "store" for a couple of seconds, the manual FM scale should show up again, you can select a different frequency, and repeat the above to store in a different preset location.

It confused me at first too , so hope this helps.
When in manual, No "Preset Menu" shows up. And if I go UP to the Preset Selection, set #2, then hit "scan" it jumps to #3, rather than scanning for a station on position #2.

Old 11-19-2005, 01:50 PM
Members

Ray - when in manual tuning, go to the station you want to store, then press down (as in toward the floor) on the I-drive, scroll to "Store" and follow directions above.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='200754' date='Nov 19 2005, 05:50 PM
Ray - when in manual tuning, go to the station you want to store, then press down (as in toward the floor) on the I-drive, scroll to "Store" and follow directions above.

That's what I have been doing for a week, and it only stores the station on preset #1. I can't get beyond that first preset. Dammit.

But thanks!

I'll take pics of the iDrive decapitation.

Ray
Old 11-19-2005, 04:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='200787

That's what I have been doing for a week, and it only stores the station on preset #1. I can't get beyond that first preset. Dammit.

But thanks!

Ray
[/quote]
The logical procedure described aptly above did not work for me after my update to 19.01.01. I had to fiddle a great deal to get my stations reset. I can't even remember what I did exactly or whether the procedure I used was even consistent from station to station. In your place, I would drop by my dealer and ask them to show you. What you might find is that they can't do it either--which would mean they have some service to perform. Alternatively, you'll learn how to do it.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by vnod' post='200800
Originally Posted by TXPearl' post='200754' date='Nov 19 2005, 05:50 PM

But thanks!

Ray
The logical procedure described aptly above did not work for me after my update to 19.01.01. I had to fiddle a great deal to get my stations reset. I can't even remember what I did exactly or whether the procedure I used was even consistent from station to station. In your place, I would drop by my dealer and ask them to show you. What you might find is that they can't do it either--which would mean they have some service to perform. Alternatively, you'll learn how to do it.
[/quote]

Thanks Vnod and all above. I didn't think it was me or my "logic." This L7 is weird, it doesn't have weather band or the other menu options mentioned above.

Do radio menus actually get updated in software updates??? Good heavens. No wonder the media is so vehemently negative on iDrive.

Ray
Old 11-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='201049
Originally Posted by Ray Hull' post='200787' date='Nov 19 2005, 07:37 PM
[quote name='TXPearl' post='200754' date='Nov 19 2005, 05:50 PM']

But thanks!

Ray
[/quote]

Thanks Vnod and all above. I didn't think it was me or my "logic." This L7 is weird, it doesn't have weather band or the other menu options mentioned above.

You are very welcome. I don't know if your car's options guarantee weather band, etc. If you did not say above, then let us know how your car is equipped. I have the radio items you are talking about. My car's possibly pertinent features are regular nav (not pro nav whatever that is), iDrive, premium sound (thus, L7), and SIRIUS (probably not pertinent though).

Do radio menus actually get updated in software updates??? Good heavens. No wonder the media is so vehemently negative on iDrive.

I think they do, but it seems to me that your software ought to be up-to-date enough. It is possible that you got a bad software install. It happens. I understand your frustration under the circumstances, but most of us are not having the fundamental issues you are. I think the media issue boils down to its members not spending enough time to learn how to use the iDrive. And, then others jump on the bandwagon because it is fashionble and they can say something without really spending time on the iDrive. IDrive is not perfect, but is is far from being the devil it is made out to be.

Ray
[/quote]

Quick Reply: Radio Presets: How to change them?