E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio, MP3, software, and CD changer questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2005 545i without NAV or Logic 7, but with SAT.
Sirius and regular FM radio cuts off for a split second once in a while, for no apparent reason. Sound quality might be bad for few seconds, then returns to normal. Anybody knows what might be the problem?
If this is software related (I think/hope it is) what is the best way to approach the dealer to have them upgrade the software (I think it has never been updated on this car). Is there something in particular I need to complain about for them to upgrade it?
Second question - is it possible to activate MP3 playback on this vehicle? Build date is 04/2005, no nav or logic 7.
Third, is it possible to hook up a CD changer (from my 6er, it the same unit) and what is required to do this? I'm sure I will need a cable, but does this require a software upgrade?
Thanks!
Alex
Old 08-24-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

not sure if it will fit, but there should be a cable already there if its for your glove box changer that your talking about.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Black Sapphire Metallic; Sport Package, Black Dakota Interior, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Shade Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Front/Rear Heated Seats and Steering Wheel, Xenon lights

Unfortunately because you don't have nav I don't think you're going to be able to do the mp3 upgrade. I have a build date 6 months before yours and I was not able to get the retrofit because I don't have nav either. I'm sure others will chime in who know more about this than I do...

I would think the 6 disc from your 6 series would be no problem to install. I would bet you'd need a software upgrade for it to recognize the new input, however. I can't speak on the satellite radio issue. My only guess would be a signal strength issue perhaps?

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2008, 10:33 AM
Senior Members

Thanks guys.
Anybody else? I really hope I can get some more information before I take it to the dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

No luck on the MP3. If you had Nav you could do it...

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=attach...st&id=61510

As for Sirius, I got this on occasion as well in my 545. I always attributed it to poor signal and/or lack of terrestrial repeater in the area. I have Sirius in the 550 as well but frankly I rarely use it now and listen almost exclusively to my iPod.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Senior Members

All right, I guess I can forget about MP3. that is fine, I will see if I can install that CD changer, or an ipod adapter.
Now, is there something I can tell the dealer to update the software to the current CIP version? I'm hoping that my radio issue will require that, but is there anything else I can try?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:31 PM
Contributors

I would do the iPod adapter. I had it installed on my 545 and loved it. There are some size limits in terms of songs and playlists but it is far above the number of songs that six standard CDs can hold. As you know, iPod sound quality is below CD but I found the trade off acceptable.

As for the software update, do a search. I recall several threads about this, common issues that were fixed w/ software updates. If you can get the software update done, buy the adapter part and try to install yourself. A number of folks have done it themsleves.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Members

Yeah, I have iPod adapter in my 645 (this is why I have removed CD changer in the first place), but 545 is mostly my wife's car, and she doesn't really care for an ipod.
I tried searching for common problems that require software upgrade, but can't find anything - could somebody point me in the right direction?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Try digging thru the SIB list posted by Cobradav. It list many problems and the software that fixed it. Can't tell from your signature, but if you have the Step tranny, try telling you have the transmission slam. It was resolved with a software update. There are others as well though hopefully your radio issue will get you updated.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19188
Old 08-24-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='653238' date='Aug 24 2008, 11:11 AM
Sirius and regular FM radio cuts off for a split second once in a while, for no apparent reason. Sound quality might be bad for few seconds, then returns to normal. Anybody knows what might be the problem?
If this were also a problem with AM, I would say there?s an intermittent short somewhere, in the amp for example.

Absent that, all I can say is it?s almost 100% not software.

Quick Reply: Radio, MP3, software, and CD changer questions