E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio and CD not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turned off my car to go into a drug store turned the ignititon off while the radio was on. When I restarted the car, I did not have any reception and my preset stations had disappeared. I tried changing to my cd's and no sound came out either. Did I accidentally press some magic button. I tried all on-off switches including voice activation with still no sound. Before I bring it in to the dealer...does anyone know the cause of this and if I just accidentally pressed some button. I've tried several times and cannot get any sound. I still have the navigation working do get a voice from the voice commando dude! Help!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:41 PM
Members

From the way I understand things is the Radio/CD is controlled by iDrive. iDrive being a member of the Microsoft Windows family isn't all that perfect (understatement, I know... ). Maybe just leave it overnight and long enough that the system goes into sleep mode, resets itself and hopefully everything should be back to normal the next day.

If not... well, hope you have a good relationship with your dealer!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Contributors

I'll try...gonna go play some ball tonight...will see if it adjusts itself later...just pissed...I don't have any plates yet and this shouldn't be happening! BTW...love Australia...it's been a while...would love to go back...first experience driving on the wrong side of the road! Thanks for the GTO!
Old 09-14-2004, 05:52 PM
Members

I know how it feels. My car's about 3 weeks old and audio died on me twice. But in both cases, iDrive automatically rebooted for me and everything was ok. Being a computer guy, it was quite normal for me to see that happen. Actually glad that it did it automatically as there's no reset switch anywhere to do it manually. They should have place one though for cases such as yours! <_<

Glad to hear you like it down under. Oh and when you guys do drive, be very careful. Some german kid just killed a couple of people in another car when he drove on the "wrong" lane. Saw it on the news. Why doesn't the whole world just use the same lane? How hard can it be???
Old 09-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Contributors

Yeah, I know what you mean. I kept hitting the MENU button like it was a CLEAR or CNTRL-ALT-DELETE...and it wasn't working...will let you know if it comes back to life. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:32 PM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by chicosy' date='Sep 14 2004, 08:52 PM
Why doesn't the whole world just use the same lane? How hard can it be???
If the minority would join the majority -- problem would be solved.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Sounds to me like Blackonblack's car just needs to be re-booted.

Have you found the Ctrl, Alt and Del keys yet, JDN?

All kidding aside, maybe 3 times since April has my radio Not shown the presets (just the background showed). If I remember correctly, the CD worked.
Old 09-14-2004, 09:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' date='Sep 14 2004, 03:32 PM
I turned off my car to go into a drug store turned the ignititon off while the radio was on. When I restarted the car, I did not have any reception and my preset stations had disappeared. I tried changing to my cd's and no sound came out either. Did I accidentally press some magic button. I tried all on-off switches including voice activation with still no sound. Before I bring it in to the dealer...does anyone know the cause of this and if I just accidentally pressed some button. I've tried several times and cannot get any sound. I still have the navigation working do get a voice from the voice commando dude! Help!
didn't have this problem in my car (knock on wood) but happened to my loaner the other day. i just turned off the car and restarted it, back to normal .
Old 09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Contributors

Hey Ya'll,

I just came back from a drive, and sure enough, everything seems to be in order after restarting the car...weird though because I restarted before...maybe it really did need time to re-set itself. All my presets are as they were. I wonder if it's because I try to work too quickly with the I-drive knob and I'm not giving the computer enough time to think before I try the next command? Anyway, glad I don't have to stop at the dealer in the morning!
Old 09-15-2004, 01:27 AM
Members

Actually, now that you mentioned it, I realize that its also when I was using the iDrive fairly quickly that it dies. The last time my iDrive rebooted on me was when I just started the car and quickly went through to setup Entertainment. Maybe iDrive doesn't like being stressed?

Quick Reply: Radio and CD not working