E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio auto-on

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Nov 9 2004, 02:10 PM
Same thing here -- I did not have the problem until the software was upgraded to fix a problem with the seat memory.? Now everytime I turn on the car, the radio comes on (regardless if it was muted or off the last time I turned off the car).

Please post when a fix is available.
[snapback]54211[/snapback]
My tech just told me that w/ version 15 the radio is now always on by design. The mute disables everytime you cycle the key.

Personally, I want a way to turn the radio off, and not hear it in the morning, if I turned it off at night.

Should we start a poll to see what the user preference is?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributors

I have the same problem with the audio always coming on when I start the car. Iceman is right the car remembers the last volume setting. The best thing to do is turn the volume all the way down before shutting down to avoid being startled at 5:30 AM by the car rocking volume that was set on the drive home the night before!
Old 01-08-2005, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Jan 8 2005, 11:02 AM
[quote name='Guest' date='Nov 9 2004, 02:10 PM']Same thing here -- I did not have the problem until the software was upgraded to fix a problem with the seat memory.? Now everytime I turn on the car, the radio comes on (regardless if it was muted or off the last time I turned off the car).

My tech just told me that w/ version 15 the radio is now always on by design. The mute disables everytime you cycle the key.

Personally, I want a way to turn the radio off, and not hear it in the morning, if I turned it off at night.

[snapback]77105[/snapback]
[/quote]

Bill, your tech is mistaken. I was hoping this bug would be fixed in V15 and actually based on the report it is. I have had this "feature" since I got my car in July. (by design?....my @$$!) I really think a poll is a waste of time. Why would anyone want the car to turn on the audio if they turned it off before switching off the ignition. It is a dangerous flaw that needs to be fixed.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Jan 8 2005, 12:02 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Nov 9 2004, 02:10 PM']Same thing here -- I did not have the problem until the software was upgraded to fix a problem with the seat memory.? Now everytime I turn on the car, the radio comes on (regardless if it was muted or off the last time I turned off the car).

[snapback]77105[/snapback]
[/quote]

Yes your tech is wrong, believe it or not. I just got ver 15 a couple of days ago and if I turn off the stereo by pressing the volume knob on the dash, the mute symbol appears in the iDrive screen and there is no sound. Turn off the car an restart, mute symbol still on and no sound. What I have not yet tried is to let the car sit for an extended period so that it goes into sleep mode.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

My radio stays at the last settings when switching off the ignition.

However, along similiar lines, the A/C automatically comes on at engine start even if the a/c is switched off before ignition off. The car seems to sleep for about 20-30 minutes and after that goes in to a coma. If re-started during the 20-30 mins, if the a/c was off at ignition off, it stays off. Any longer and the a/c wants to start everytime. My preference would be to leave it off and only switch on when required. The E46 I had remembered the last settings but the E60 seems to have a shorter memory. It's just a small annoyance but there nonetheless.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Jan 8 2005, 12:09 PM
My radio stays at the least settings when switching of the ignition.

However, along similiar lines, the A/C automatically comes on at engine start even if the a/s is switched off before ignition off. The car seems to sleep for about 20-30 minutes and after that goes in to a coma.? If re-started during the 20-30 mins, if the a/c was off at ignition off, it stays off. Any longer and the a/c wants to start everytime. My preference would be to leave it off and only switch on when required. The E46 I had remembered the last settings but the E60 seems to have a shorter memory. It's just a small annoyance but there nonetheless.
[snapback]77140[/snapback]
Ya the radio sounds stays at the last setting for me too.. I never turn off my radio always just down... so I dont have a proble with that.. but the AC is annoying... it starts up everytime I start the car I want it off...

Haha sounds like we have two batch of people ones who hate the radio on and ones that hate the AC on. Anyone hate both?

BMW should have an "off" setting for both functions!
Old 01-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cocogigio' date='Jan 8 2005, 02:20 PM
I have the same problem with the audio always coming on when I start the car.? Iceman is right the car remembers the last volume setting.? The best thing to do is turn the volume all the way down before shutting down to avoid being startled at 5:30 AM by the car rocking volume that was set on the drive home the night before!? ?
[snapback]77129[/snapback]
Well, that's the problem. You do that and then you can't hear the phone ring unless you mess with the setting every time you cycle the key.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

I just went out and about and tried shutting off the stereo and leaving the car long enough for it to go into sleep mode. After more than an hour, restarted and the stereo remained off. It appears to be corrected in ver 15, at least for me with the MAS-K computer in my non-NAV car.
Old 01-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Jan 8 2005, 03:15 PM
Well, that's the problem.? You do that and then you can't hear the phone ring unless you mess with the setting every time you cycle the key.
[snapback]77202[/snapback]
I think the phone and radio/CD volume are independent of each other.
Old 01-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Jan 8 2005, 06:22 PM
I just went out and about and tried shutting off the stereo and leaving the car long enough for it to go into sleep mode.? After more than an hour, restarted and the stereo remained off.? It appears to be corrected in ver 15, at least for me with the MAS-K computer in my non-NAV car.
[snapback]77218[/snapback]
It seems that the audio programming changes only affected the CCC cars.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=6146

Version 15 "fixes" these items:

CIP fixes

1 Intermittent crank no start on 8 cyl engines. Will start after 15-20 min
2 Vehicles with 6 speed automatic (8 cyl cars) loss of power on decelleration.
3 Fixed shifting problems on 530 caused by programming with CIP 13.x
4 CCC cars when doors are unlocked radio turns on and plays.
5 False tire pressure warnings.
6 CCC cars plays the wrong tracks in cd mode.
7 CCC cars- after turning car off radio or cd continues to play introduced with CIP 12.x

Quick Reply: Radio auto-on