E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator fan always on high - Codes: P112B, P0118, P110F

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:56 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i M-Sport
Question Radiator fan always on high - Codes: P112B, P0118, P110F

I purchased a 2008 550i that had front end damage to the bumper. The engine fan is always on high.

I have the following codes and I'm hoping someone here can tell me if they're all related to one part, with the hopes I can some money on repairs. The codes are:

P112B - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor 1 Minimum Temperature Implausible

P110F - Ambient Temperature Sensor Faulty CAN Signal

P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High

With my very limited knowledge it seems those codes could all be related to one part, the ambient temperature sensor located in the bumper, that I'm assuming was damaged in the accident. I bought a new bumper, but I haven't had it repainted yet to match my car so I'd rather not take the old bumper off until the new one is ready. On the other hand, could just replacing the Coolant Temperature Sensor fix all this?

Any thoughts or advise you guys could give would be appreciated. If you know any links off hand with instructions on replacing these parts (even removing the bumper) that would be helpful, because I'm going to let a family mechanic do the work, but they've never worked on BMW's and I want to make it as easy as I can for them.

A little less of a pressing issue is the car loses power on full acceleration. Could these be related as some sort of safe guard? Also, these codes caused me to fail DEQ. If I reset the service codes using the iCarly/iViNi-Apps ODB module right before driving in, will I be able to pass, or will the codes show right back up?

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

honestly I would take it apart to see whats happening. It looks like power is not getting to the ambient temp senor. Is the radiator damaged? THe coolant temp sensor should be on the right side half way down. check there to see if you have an issue.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

+1 on coolant temp sensor, those codes plus the fan operating at 100% tell me the coolant temperature sensor is making the DME think the engine is running hot. fuel mixture is also based on engine temperature, so yes a bad coolant temp sensor can cause all sorts of problems. good luck with your car.