E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

R.I.P Fivey

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60

God damn mutha F****! So sorry for your loss. Crazy how damaged it ended up. Almost looks like it went sideways on a turn and hit a tree or light post. Looks like it was burnt with gasoline, might be why that rust was left. I've read your post before and always respected your opinion. Your car was a benchmark for many e60 on here. Still remember discussing tire sizes and m tech kits with you while looking at pictures at your car.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by hooch999
I wanted to ask same question. It's pretty obvious not his car.
Guys, lets not sh*t on this man's loss. He's been on these boards 2 years, with over 800 posts. Why would he make this up? Regarding rust, it doesn't take long for exposed metal to react that way. Compound that with the chemical reactions between fire retardant spray, heat, and whatever else, and you'll get this look very quickly. However, for a nice test of this, drive your car around and do some nice performance braking to get the rotors nice n hot. Spray your rotors with water, and let it sit overnight. You'll get an idea as to how quickly rust forms.

To the OP, good luck with your replacement. Hope to see you in a BMW soon!
Old 08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
how did it rust so quickly?
Originally Posted by hooch999
I wanted to ask same question. It's pretty obvious not his car.
Thin sheet steel after it has been super heated and then doused with water will rust in almost instantly. Heat speeds up the chemical reaction between iron and oxygen.

The reason why the side looks like it was hit is because the N62 has a magnesium alloy block. Ever seen magnesium in a fire? It burns hot and fast. All of that damage was from the block catching fire. The side damage probably occurred when water was sprayed onto the engine/hood area causing a sudden explosion or a steam blow out.

You kids needs to get out more.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Here's someone spraying a garden hose on a magnesium fire.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rogZBXNqaMo
Old 08-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for all the support guys, I too was surprised at how easily the steel seemed to flex and peel.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:56 PM
bbl
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i

sad to see this when i saw the photos of your car before burn.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Members

My Ride: Platingrau Metallic 2009 535i xDrive

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Long story short, I misplaced my keys at an BBQ, came outside a few hours later and the car was gone. I owed no tickets and immediately went into a frenzy when I realized my keys were gone. Car was recovered a few days later like this:

Anyways, insurance is always a drawn out process so it is what it is. I gained a lot of invaluable info on this board and will probably still lurk around here
OMG!! How the hell...

Did that license plate survive!

Seriously. Sorry for your loss
Old 08-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Members

Oh noooo Dam I hate seeing stuff like this happen,...,hopefully insurance will take care of you without any nonsense!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

That really sucks man. Good luck to you and your new ride bro.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to read this about your car, is that a red rpi scoop? Lol