E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Quick question on Aluminum Screws

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i

N52 engine: I got two broken aluminum valve cover screws (front right; corner and the next one over). Of course, it's leaking a decent amount of oil everywhere. Sad part is that the valve cover gasket looks new which means the previous owner might have replaced the gasket and used the same screws.
I know I shouldn't drill the screws loose, but it's so tempting.

Can anyone tell me what is the length of the aluminum valve cover screws? Each broken one fell right off and I measured them at 1.2 inches so I am just wondering how much is still in there..? (I've checked realoem.com and I couldn't find the specs)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aw3964
N52 engine: I got two broken aluminum valve cover screws (front right; corner and the next one over). Of course, it's leaking a decent amount of oil everywhere. Sad part is that the valve cover gasket looks new which means the previous owner might have replaced the gasket and used the same screws.
I know I shouldn't drill the screws loose, but it's so tempting.

Can anyone tell me what is the length of the aluminum valve cover screws? Each broken one fell right off and I measured them at 1.2 inches so I am just wondering how much is still in there..? (I've checked realoem.com and I couldn't find the specs)
Yikes - sounds like someone forgot what a torque wrench! I'd call a BMW parts department and ask if they have those in stock. Part detail is probably available on their system and not on OEM. That said, you mean use a screw extractor to remove the broken part don't you - not exactly the same as drilling them out!

If you're not "expert" at it and if you don't have proper tools I'd leave that to an experienced BMW-trained mechanic. Don't want the solution creating a problem worse than the one you already have.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

I'm sure whoever replace the gasket did not replace the grommets under the screws. They deform and retain shape after a while get hard too. After the valve cover was replaced, the proper tension from the screws could not be achieved with just a torquing of the bolts. The person who did the repair most likely thought he could just tighten the screws some more... NOT!

Yes you will have to take a left hand drill to take out the broken pieces.

be sure to replace the grommets this time.