E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions after 6 months of owning a e60

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
#3 my passenger mirror (glass) moves a little sometimes also, it seems like when i fold them and then open them back up it moves a little to the left but it doesnt bother me to much.
Originally Posted by fireantz
On #3, does it happen after you back up and it tried to return to the old position? Mine does that when it moves down in reverse and goes back up it doesn't go back to the correct position and I have to hit the button on my seat to get it to go back correctly. Not sure the cause though.
Yea, I first noticed the move after folding in and/or after back up with the option activated. It wasnt that bad either, but to make sure I wasnt crazy so I deactivated the back up assistance on the mirror and it still moves at some point. I assume it moves after I unlock the car and the seats etc are supposed to move into position for the assigned key...but since Im the only one driving this car, its still kinda weird. Glad to know that some movement has been noticed by others. Ill mention it to the dealer at service but they will likely say they couldnt get it to duplicate. Not a big issue anyway. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 6 speed manual
Model Year: 2006

I experience the same brief hesitation in my 2006 550i when the engine is cold and the outside temp is in the ~40 degree F range. Dealer told me they could do a software update for $300+ that "should" resolve the problem. I told the dealer to forget it if they couldn't guarantee that it would resolve the problem.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Originally Posted by KLR4LIFE
#1 It seems like BMW has been using cheap water based paint on our cars. I have a few paint cracks on my front bumper that i need to get touched up, seems liek the paint starts to peel to easy.
german cars have been using water based paint for a long time. far as cracks on the bumper, do you know how much flex is on the bumper? or rocks and road debris you speed into while driving? if cracks on the bumper is all the paint problems you have then id say its normal. far as the rails, i doubt their painted on the car, as underneath, it would be painted as well, so im assuming its painted on a conveyor type process, i just dont think it reaches that well into that dip on the rail, regardless, the rails are so easy to remove, and take to a shop to get repainted if it bother people that much. i dont see it costing that much as all for it to be repainted.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2009 535 M-sport package, Black sapphire on black leather

Took mine to dealer last week and was shocked what they OFFERED to do under warranty. I bought mine from auction, 34k miles with 8 mo remaining on warranty. Warranty over in march so i took it in one last time. Changed spark plugs, oil, wipers, filters (fuel and air). Replaced worn steering wheel, upholstery on frame, iPod interface cable, etc. awesome experience.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Members

Could the mirror thing be a different memory position? Do you have comfort assist?
Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
New Members

My rails are the same cracked just like yours
Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JeffCharger
Could the mirror thing be a different memory position? Do you have comfort assist?
Nope, No comfort assist. The car is supposed to remember the last memory setting that the car was in when that key last locked the car. I havent used the other key yet as Im the only one driving...but no I dont have comfort assist, I have to put the key in the column to start the car, press button to lock and unlock etc.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 08n54
My rails are the same cracked just like yours
This seems like a common problem based on most responses. Appreciate the input. Im going to ask BMW to look at it on Monday and I will see what they say. Hard to believe peeling paint would fall under "normal wear and tear" of a vehicle under warranty. My main concern was that it would spread. Doesn't sound like thats a problem.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

#1. I would get the paint issue resolved with the dealer. Those channels pop right off and are easy for them to take care of.
#3. I call this mirror creep. My retired E60 used to have a passenger mirror that crept slowly downward over a period of 2-3 weeks before I would notice it and press the memory button as you do.
Aside from a new mirror, I suggest you 'uncheck' the "Last Seat Pos" under 'door locks' in the iDrive. That completely cured my situation. Unfortunately, if you have two drivers with different settings it also means you can only change the settings for the seat, wheel and Mirrors by using the memory buttons. But if the same person is driving then you are fine. Try it to see if it works.
GL
Old 01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
#1. I would get the paint issue resolved with the dealer. Those channels pop right off and are easy for them to take care of.
#3. I call this mirror creep. My retired E60 used to have a passenger mirror that crept slowly downward over a period of 2-3 weeks before I would notice it and press the memory button as you do.
Aside from a new mirror, I suggest you 'uncheck' the "Last Seat Pos" under 'door locks' in the iDrive. That completely cured my situation. Unfortunately, if you have two drivers with different settings it also means you can only change the settings for the seat, wheel and Mirrors by using the memory buttons. But if the same person is driving then you are fine. Try it to see if it works.
GL
Thanks Gilgorm. Taking it in Monday AM for an oil change and the list. I will update everyone on what the dealer says.

Quick Reply: Questions after 6 months of owning a e60