E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Questions after 6 months of owning a e60

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2010 535 M-Sport
Default Questions after 6 months of owning a e60

All,
I have owned my 2010 535i msport for about 6 month now. Over this time I have compiled a few questions and was hoping to get some input because I will be taking the car in for service soon and want to address some of these questions and/or points with the dealer since Im under warranty at 46k miles. Any input to the cause, experience with the same problem and what you think the dealer would/should do would be appreciated.

sorry for the long post but i figured it was better than multiple posts.

1st - Paint appears to peeling up within a "rain channel" on the roof. Both sides. Not sure what to call that piece but the pics below. Its in that crevasse there and appears to be painted metal not rubber or plastic.

Questions after 6 months of owning a e60-photo-2.jpg

Questions after 6 months of owning a e60-photo-1.jpg

Questions after 6 months of owning a e60-photo-3.jpg

I do have the exterior care package that says they will fix any paint defects for the next 4 yrs etc but Im not sure what to expect from BMW.

2nd - Recently I have experienced a hiccup during acceleration when the engine is cold. very brief. Some may describe it as hesitation some may describe it as jerky. Basically the first time it happened, it was so quick that i thought I might be just imagining it. 2 or 3 quick loss in power and back to power before you could even look down at the gauges. Almost like a gear change. NO codes or errors flashing. Im not sure if its the transmission or engine. I did recently put a K&N filter in but this is not a consistent issue so im not convinced that is the issue.

3rd and last - My passenger side mirror has a mind of its own. It appears to change positions from my programed #1 position. I never see it do it and its pretty slight, but when I press the #1 memory button, it returns to its position. Weird.

Thanks guys. Love this car and just want to get the most out of my warranty before it runs out.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

Well the first the roof looks like it was repainted b4! Secondly that jerky is a normal thing until it gets out of hand then theres a problem, but should be no worries! Lastly maybe there is a short some where so have the dealer dissect the entire door panel! GL brother!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Members

#3 someone is using your mirror to check their face when you not around!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kane1111
Well the first the roof looks like it was repainted b4! Secondly that jerky is a normal thing until it gets out of hand then theres a problem, but should be no worries! Lastly maybe there is a short some where so have the dealer dissect the entire door panel! GL brother!
Kane..I thought the same thing.. Had a clean title so I cant imagine how the roof would need repainting without a major accident that would show up on carfax. But..its under warranty and was a CPO so I dont see how BMW cant fix this for me.. Its not bad now but could be much worse in 10K miles. Thanks for the input
Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 545IblupasdU
#3 someone is using your mirror to check their face when you not around!
sure wish that was the case. It returns to the same spot every time...
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

my roof rails have slight paint cracks too, ive seen a few other e60's with some paint flaws at that same location as well. i always thought it had to do something with the way the water would build up there.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Members

My Ride: '09 e60 n54 white/black

same here, my roof rail paint is the same as yours, s I understand CPO doesn't cover "wear and tear"
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks rob2388 and roskinc for the input. wasnt sure if I was the only one with some "wear and tear" in those rails. Since mine came with the "Extra" paint care package it may be interesting how they handle that, but i suspect they wont have to pay for anything.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2014 535 Alpine White

#1 It seems like BMW has been using cheap water based paint on our cars. I have a few paint cracks on my front bumper that i need to get touched up, seems liek the paint starts to peel to easy.

#3 my passenger mirror (glass) moves a little sometimes also, it seems like when i fold them and then open them back up it moves a little to the left but it doesnt bother me to much.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Members

On #3, does it happen after you back up and it tried to return to the old position? Mine does that when it moves down in reverse and goes back up it doesn't go back to the correct position and I have to hit the button on my seat to get it to go back correctly. Not sure the cause though.

Quick Reply: Questions after 6 months of owning a e60