E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Question for UK E60 owners!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

anyone had the need to have the airbags de-activated for the front passenger seat?

I just rang BMW and all I got was the receptionist (waiting for service dept to call back). But she wanred me it was NOT cheap as they have to replace the seat belt system.

To me this doesn't sound right. And I can't believe they're gonna charge me silly cash for having them de-activated when, IMO as a family car, this should have been taken into consideration at the time of design and have a switch so that we can do it ourselves if we need to (like my mates Audi).
To me this sounds like another prestige marque rip-off ploy!

Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Why do you want to put the kid in the less safe front seat ?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Tourer - E34 M5 Race Car

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jul 21 2005, 03:53 PM
[snapback]151574[/snapback]
I would have thought the 'less safe' front seat for a kid would be the one with the steering wheel in front of it.

(maybe there's more kids than rear seats)

I had mine de-activated FOC. Don't let them charge you, it's all part of setting the car up for you.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by E60Speed' date='Jul 21 2005, 02:53 PM
[snapback]151574[/snapback]
because he's 3 days old. You can't have him on his own in the back!!!!
otherwise my wife can only use the car when she has another passenger with her!

FOC hey ... I'll be sure to mention that. they'll try anything won't they!
many thx.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Mystic Blue/Black Leather Type 124 Wheels

Congratulations on the 3 day old
Old 07-21-2005, 08:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

yep - congratulations on the new arrival
Old 07-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Members

Jay

I have gone through this and I have contacted 4 dealers and the price is between ?300-?400. They have to change the seat belt because of the pre-tensioner device. Worse still you have to pay again to have it switched back on and they told me I could not keep the parts as it is a pressurised container so may explode! So when you come to switch it back on you have to buy the parts again!
Load of old bollo**s if you ask me but it is not just a case of switching a switch I'm afraid.
We can not get all our 3 kids seats in the back.
Who told you about not having a child in the back because of being so young?
My wife is a Health Visitor, midwife and nurse and she said that is rubbish. If you need to pay that much attention to the baby then you should not be driving a car. The child is safer in the rear and if you get a stick on mirror you can set it up to see the baby all the time anyway.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 10:45 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Knobjockey' date='Jul 21 2005, 08:25 PM
Jay

I have gone through this and I have contacted 4 dealers and the price is between ?300-?400. They have to change the seat belt because of the pre-tensioner device. Worse still you have to pay again to have it switched back on and they told me I could not keep the parts as it is a pressurised container so may explode! So when you come to switch it back on you have to buy the parts again!
Load of old bollo**s if you ask me but it is not just a case of switching a switch I'm afraid.
We can not get all our 3 kids seats in the back.
Who told you about not having a child in the back because of being so young?
My wife is a Health Visitor, midwife and nurse and she said that is rubbish. If you need to pay that much attention to the baby then you should not be driving a car. The child is safer in the rear and if you get a stick on mirror you can set it up to see the baby all the time anyway.

Cheers
[snapback]151646[/snapback]
I very much appreciate your comments... you make a VERY good point. And there's no way I'm giving BMW potentially ?800.

ps. thx for the congrats guys. 1 of each now. gonna get them cut off!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d GT, Blue, Beige Dakota Leather, Pro Sat Nav, Interior Lights Pack, Adaptive Lights, Advanced Aircon

because he's 3 days old!
Congratulations! - My wife is 38+ weeks and we are just waiting for things to start happening! So there'll be another new arrival on this forum soon!

If you need to pay that much attention to the baby then you should not be driving a car.

The child is safer in the rear and if you get a stick on mirror you can set it up to see the baby all the time anyway.
The child is safer in the rear - a stick-on mirror to keep an eye on babe is a good idea.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:08 AM
Members

Never heard that you cant put a newborn in the back!

Quick Reply: Question for UK E60 owners!