E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for SMG owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Does anyone else have these issues?

1. Often (about 50% of the time) when I park and leave the car in 1st, I get the "do not park the car in neutral" warning; and

2. When trying to start the car in neutral, the gear display on the dash indicates 1st, and the car will not start. I need to remove the key and start over to get the car to know what gear it is in.

No performance effects, just a little annoying.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:09 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 28 2005, 12:25 PM

1. Often (about 50% of the time) when I park and leave the car in 1st,? I get the "do not park the car in neutral" warning; and

I only get that if I leave it in neutral

2.? When trying to start the car in neutral, the gear display on the dash indicates 1st, and the car will not start.? I need to remove the key and start over to get the car to know what gear it is in.

Yes. I sometimes find that I have to fight the system to get the car to start. Most of the time it is easiest for me to slap the gear into neutral, press HARD on the brake, and activate the starter wo ever looking to see what the display says. After over a year of ownership, I still have a problem on occasions.

[snapback]143808[/snapback]
Old 06-28-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 28 2005, 11:25 AM

1. Often (about 50% of the time) when I park and leave the car in 1st,? I get the "do not park the car in neutral" warning; and

I always leave the car in 1st when parked.? I think with the upgrade to +16 the annoying "N" message goes away.? I know that if I leave the car in "N" now I get the annoying message to take it out of "N"

2.? When trying to start the car in neutral, the gear display on the dash indicates 1st, and the car will not start.? I need to remove the key and start over to get the car to know what gear it is in.

This is the exact reason my car was bought back from BMW.? I kept taking it back to the shop and the service manager couldn't figure out why it did this.? They didn't believe me until it happend to them on the 2nd time the shop was giving me back my car.? My new SMG hasn't had either of these problems.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by robg' date='Jun 28 2005, 01:25 PM

I habitually put the car in reverse.? This goes back to the days when you couldn't get the key out of the ignition on a manual transmission car without first shifting into reverse.? My '69 Firebird had this feature.? It was the manual equivalent of "Park" on a automatic.? It was also an early attempt at an anti-theft device, since it also locked the steering column and ignition.?

I occasionaly have this problem also, but I have noticed that if you place your foot firmly on the brake before changing the gear selector that it seldom happens.? This is not to say that you might not have a problem.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I happened to me too.

Sometime, it happens in R too. Yesterday, I was trying to make a 3-point turn, and got stuck on point 1. I try to shift to R, but it wouldn't go. After turning the car off and re-inserting the key, it was fine. But seeing 7 cars waiting for me to make a turn is priceless.
Old 06-28-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

It happens to me only when I try to start the car with the drivers door open (yes, foot is on the brake) unless the car was turned off already in the Neutral position. Once the door is shut it will go into Neutral just fine.
Must be some kind of "safety" feature.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Rarely had any of these problems... Only time I thought I did and that the car wouldnt shift into first was because I didnt step on the brakes hard enough I was lightly touching it.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Contributors

I've never had problem #1.

I only have problem #2 if I don't have my foot on the brake when I turn the key to start the car. It does not make any difference whether I shift it to neutral with my foot on the brake or off the brake, as long as my foot is on the brake when I turn the key it goes to neutral just fine. Occasionally when I turn the key without having my foot on the brake it will not go into neutral, but all i have to do to correct it is turn the key to position "0" and then try starting the car (I don't actually have to take the key out and re-insert it). It also works the same way with the driver's door open.....I've never had it not go into neutral and not start if the driver's door was open.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributors

I only had problem 2 to happen twice and all I had to do was turn the key back and return the key. Pretty simple for me.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 1987 BMW M6, Black/Grey 2010 Lotus Evora Black/Black

Never had #1 happen. #2 has happened a few times but just moved the gerashift to D then back to N and i twent away. Who knows, maybe I just pressed on the brake harder when I did that.

Quick Reply: Question for SMG owners